This sucks. (computer problem)

Ok. I had Linux and Windows XP on my laptop. The laptop was running a dual boot, and i used ‘GRUB’ to manage Operating system selection.

Now i hadn’t used this laptop for awhile, like a week and a half. When i turned it on this afternoon, it loaded the Bios and then tried to load GRUB. As soon as it said ‘GRUB loading’ i got a-

“Error 22. No such partition.”

No such partition? What the fuck? The drive (drive C) was split into 3 sections. The first section was WindowsXP. The second was the linux ‘swap’ partition, and the third was linux itself.

To the best of my knowledge, i hadnt done anything to the system that wouldve caused it to lose a partition. I didnt fool around with a drive mapper, or mess with system files.

Nothing.

And now my computer wont boot up. It locks up as soon as i get the ‘Error 22’ message.

How can i get around GRUB and boot to my WindowsXP operating system? (Since i think the linux partition is the one that is damaged).

If you need any more information, i’ll be happy to give it to you.

And dont say"Call tech support" because the laptop is not in my name, so they wont help me.

I don’t think I can be much help, but you should try running a boot disk and editing GRUB’s “menu.lst” file.

Too bad you don’t have Debian, you could try fixing it by typing “upgrade GRUB” :stuck_out_tongue:

If you had 2 seperate hardrives I could help you but if the particians are all the same hardrive I dunno. can you use f8 to access the menu that comes up when the computer doesn’t load properly or f6 to load up safe mode wit network?

Did you install/reinstall XP after you installed Linux? If you did your master boot record is overwritten. That’s all I can think of really, GRUB shouldn’t fuck anything up AFAIK, but then again, I run LILO.

Can’t you use your XP boot CD?

Or a rescue CD, if one thou hast.

Kraken:You can’t access to Linux Native partitions from Windows, and the GRUB is installed in the Linux Partition, so, even if he gets to run Windows, he can’t do shit to fix the problem.

Dev: Maybe you could try running a Windows Rescue disk and deleting your Linux Partition (And the Swap one too.), so your MBR automagicly loads Windows, instead of GRUB.

But I still think you should try to modify the GRUB menu.lst before doing snything else.

Originally posted by Kor
I don’t think I can be much help, but you should try running a boot disk and editing GRUB’s “menu.lst” file.

Yea. I tried that, but it didnt work. It wouldnt save the changes i made.

Originally posted by Wertigon
Did you install/reinstall XP after you installed Linux? If you did your master boot record is overwritten. That’s all I can think of really, GRUB shouldn’t fuck anything up AFAIK, but then again, I run LILO.

No. I didnt touch XP at all.

Originally posted by Kraken
[b]
Can’t you use your XP boot CD?

Or a rescue CD, if one thou hast.[/b]

No. XP came preinstalled, so i dont have the CD. I dont have a rescue CD either, and cant make one, because none of my other computers run XP. (all mac)

So theres really no way i can bypass GRUB? Is there some way i can make a boot CD that boots directly to the windows partition? If i make a boot CD that boots to the hard drive, it makes me run through GRUB again.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Devillion
[b]Yea. I tried that, but it didnt work. It wouldnt save the changes i made.

…Are you running it as root?

I think you might be running it via some file manager that doesn’t run shit as Root, so, even if you know, I’ll post some instructions to edit it via console

1-) Open a console.

2-) Type “su”, and log on as “root”

3-) Do you have NANO installed?, if you do, type “nano /boot/GRUB/menu.lst” (I think that’s the directory where GRUB is installed.)

4-) Save the changes, quit, and then type “reboot”

I hope you fix your problems dude, I know how having to delete a partition is, it sucks ;>>

Wait. Nevermind everyone, i got it running.

Yea, kor, that was the problem.

Can I ask a really stupid question? Why do you want two OS’s on the same computer?

Stability of Linux, Compatibility of Windows.

Linux systems make perfect workstations, that’s why you Dual-boot it with Windows, to have both a workstation and a gaming station in your comp.

Not like I’m a Linux wiz and shit, but I installed Linux for that reason, sadly, I had to delete my Lin partition cause I chose a very bad distro.

Waits for some 1337 Linux user to prove him wrong

Well, Linux’ biggest strength right now is as a Server OS and/or corporate environment desktops. It still has a few years off before it can really be called a mainstream desktop… It’s not for your grandma, not just yet. If you’re willing to experiment, however, it’s great as a home desktop, especially with the latest 2.6.1 kernel and ALSA routines. =)

You know, it would be cool of the 2.6 prepackages would WORK on Libranet ;.;

Stupid Libranet, I need to get a decent distro ASAP.

Originally posted by Wertigon
Well, Linux’ biggest strength right now is as a Server OS and/or corporate environment desktops. It still has a few years off before it can really be called a mainstream desktop… It’s not for your grandma, not just yet. If you’re willing to experiment, however, it’s great as a home desktop, especially with the latest 2.6.1 kernel and ALSA routines. =)

In some ways it may be…With Linux the system administrator has a lot mroe control over the system and can rpevent your grandma from doing things she shouldn’t do to mess up the system.

Actually he doesn’t. You can limit users just as much in Windows as you can in Linux, it is just that most administrators don’t know how. My moral is, Group Policy Objects are fun.

And if Grub is anything like Lilo and the problem is anything like the one I usually get, all you should have to do is boot into Linux using a rescue disk and run the Grub command.

Does linux read NTFS partitions?

It can. It can’t write to them yet though.

Some of the linux distros are grandma compatible. XANDROS is pretty windows-user friendly, but its not free.

Originally posted by Devillion
Some of the linux distros are grandma compatible. XANDROS is pretty windows-user friendly, but its not free.

Lindows, anyone? :stuck_out_tongue:

And, you know, the IceWM WindowManager is pretty much a clone of Windows’s task bar.

So I assume that Lindows + IceWM = Grandma Compatible