This Shouldn't Be Happening

And here’s a charming little site advertising this place from some school referral service:

http://www.schools4teens.com/tqb.html

I wonder - how many advertising outlets does this Tranquility place appear in? And if so, how could one get all of them to stop advertising for it? If it isn’t advertised anywhere, after all, it won’t get any clients.

Originally posted by Sephiroth Katana
[b]And here’s a charming little site advertising this place from some school referral service:

http://www.schools4teens.com/tqb.html

I wonder - how many advertising outlets does this Tranquility place appear in? And if so, how could one get all of them to stop advertising for it? If it isn’t advertised anywhere, after all, it won’t get any clients. [/b]

Oh, I wouldn’t worry, there’s always word of mouth… and Mr. Kay seems like he has a big enough one of those to keep his ““school”” open (somehow, just one set of inverted commas seemed inadequate) :too bad;

Some parents just need to be shot.

This story still pisses me off as much as it does the first time I read it several months ago.

Originally posted by Sephiroth Katana
Since the parents willingly sign away their rights to their children, though, getting these guys would be problematic.

Not really. People are not property and cannot be exchanged as such. The ban on slavery is an international law, not just a U.S. one, and people should be able to go after these scumfucks on that ground.

Unless

Originally posted by StarStorm
A good parent can properly raise a child into a good, productive adult life, and can do it for free. Why pay for brainwashing?

Well, the answer is embedded within your question. They obviously aren’t good parents. They thought having kids would be like having pets, realized after the fact that it wasn’t, and after all in America, when the going gets tough the tough throw money at it to make it go away out of sight and out of mind. They are shitty parents. In fact, by taking the coward’s way out of this responsibility, they are not parents at all.

And yes, I do get to make that value judgment.

I remember reading this. I’d hate to wake up, have sharp things pointed at my face and be forced into an airplane, spending the next years standing on my face.

That is absolutely disgusting. It’s just…guh, disturbing, one of the few things which will actually fill me with rage and disgust and everything…

Like, as if the kids sent there aren’t hurting enough already…my god. It’s even worse cause, as SK said, it’s entirely up to the parents to send their children there, it’s the parents who support the school, and how to teach ALL parents that being a parent means you need to actively try to help your child, not send him off to some re-education camp.

And I’m sure that it doesn’t appear in too many mainstream advertising outlets; you’d probably have to do a lot of research into obscure schooling systems to find Tranquility Bay, which doesn’t stop parents who think their kids are messed up and who don’t think they have the time to spend with them, to help them. But it would make it exceedingly difficult for anybody trying to get all these advertisers, who’ll often be connected to other shady organizations, to stop advertising Tranquility Bay…so it looks like, barring some sort of direct action, this re-education camp is here to say.

Depressing.

-Mazrim Taim

Edit: more getting enraged:

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/magazines/teenage/html/20021230t200000-0500_37366_obs_family_wins_fight_to_remove_teen_from_tranquility_bay.asp

http://www.voy.com/58570/2/

“Ha Ha Ha. You all sound like a bunch of babys. Well If going from a life of drugs to a life of success is brain wash then I guess I am. You people cry about the program as if they put you in hell. I guess some people need there diapers changed every day. The funniest one is the guy who said he had nightmares, I had nightmares of getting shot on the streets or becoming a bum before I joined the program, I didnt know having three meals a day, having to follow simple rules, and going to school to get educated was so scary. As far as the fuckin whiner who called me a brain washed idiot, uh no thanks, I dont like sitting on the phone and listening to people bitch about the program. I actully havnt even thought about the program in awhile, I just thought I would internet surf and see how things were going after a few years of being out. Well sorry for you people who where traumatized by the program, have a good life, I know I am.”

shudder

:fungah: :hmm: :noway: I feel sad for all the children that are send there doing the same stuff day after day and being brainwashed,this makes my school seem like heaven

Originally posted by KaiserVonAlmasy
Not really. People are not property and cannot be exchanged as such. The ban on slavery is an international law, not just a U.S. one, and people should be able to go after these scumfucks on that ground.
They’re not being sold into slavery, though; exploiting the kids for labour doesn’t seem to be a big part of these guys’ program, since they already get plenty of money out of it. Nonetheless, their tactics most likely violate human rights statutes adopted by the United Nations. I wonder if the residents of Utah, in the area where these guys are based, know about this, and if they don’t, I wonder what they would think of it.

Is tempted to become an assasin just to kill the person who came up with this but calms himself. I am pissed. This is the most infuriating thing I’ve ever seen. They would literally have to kill me or drug me to keep me locked up. I cannot stand the thought of what these people are doing. It does go against human rights. Aren’t teanagers allowed to leave home after 16. This program keeps people locked up till their 18. This lowers my opinion of Humans even more.

Actually, they SAy they can leave anytime; they’ll give the kid $50 and a return flight home. But according to the article, most of the parents wouldn’t accept the kid back home, and I doubt many friends would take them in. That, coupled with the fact that $50 will barely get you a cup of coffee these days, resigns kids to the fact that they’re stuck there.

My thought would be why not get a gang of kids together and “fight the system” so to speak, but I read this article ages ago and I can’t remember the times they would be allowed to speak or not. And most of them probably didn’t get along, and most were probably too broken of will power to do anything, anyways. sigh Disgusting people…you only hear about such, in the movies, or in a book, I know I didn’t even contemplate such a person with…perverse motives ever existing and this news really really shocked me.

The message board where I found this sent a slew of letters to Amnesty International. E.g.:

>>http://web.amnesty.org/contacts/app.nsf/contact+us?readform&language=eng&presence=international+secretariat
>>
>>Dear International Secretariat,
>>After reading The Observer’s report on the Tranquility
>>Bay ‘behaviour-modification centre’ available at
>>http://observer.guardian.co.uk/maga...72,00.html?=rss I am
>>concerned that the practices employed by Mr. Kay and the
>>WWASPS may constitute violations of the human rights of
>>minors. I hope that your organization will investigate and take
>>a stand on this issue.
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>[someone’s name]

I think I’ll write a letter like that soon.

Xwing1056

Edit: Link corrected.

Oh, I’m so gonna write it too.

Edit: Once I’ll know the correct email to send it…

Recently this place was in the news because the kids broke out and were rioting in jamaica…

…Disgusting.

I read through the artilce and the link that Maz posted. Frankly, I’m appauled and only would wish that kind of punishment on the organizers of the camps. I’m ashamed to breathe the same air as them.

I’d read it, but im too damn lazy. But I’m sure its bad.

This is the correct URL for writing to Amnesty International. The original link is fixed too.

Xwing1056

God bless America.

Originally posted by Phoenix Valkyrie
God bless America.

God save us all.