This made me think quite a bit...

That was thoroughly depressing.

If it were me, I would have gotten back in the car, stopped at a Wal-Mart to buy a bat, drove home, and beaten my mother with said bat.

:too bad; Very sad.

SG, not everyone can just do that, unfortunately. Some persons are just too emotional.

Originally posted by Skankin’ Garbage
[b]I don’t find that depressing because of the content at all.

If anything is slightly depressing about that, it’s the fact that he seemingly doesn’t sound happy anymore. He makes it sound like he hasn’t had any reason to live since she died.

The guy keeps saying “Oh I did this (Mary likes this such n’ such thing)” Or, “I bought her an engagement ring (Mary would have liked that)”, all I’ve gotta say is, if I were Mary, I would have wanted him to get on with his life, and stop being so pessimistic.

I wouldn’t dare wish for a person I loved to throw away their life for me, and that’s what he’s done. I don’t really think of love that way. That’s…just something else completely. That’s obsession.

I just can’t believe that he’s that way. I guess I seem callous, but I think that’s kinda pathetic. I haven’t ever lost a ‘loved’ one to suicide or anything, but I know what it’s like to lose someone you love. It’s futile to just stay in that phase for the rest of your life. That’s what’s depressing. What a waste, the guy probly could be so much happier. [/b]

Yeah, what he said. When I saw the years on the page, I was shocked. I was born in 1979 - if that’s true, then this man has been pining away for someone that’s gone almost 24 years. In the grand scheme of things, that’s a long time in someone’s life. Like SG (maybe), I know what it’s like to lose someone I love, and no matter which side of the situation it is, I couldn’t comprehend or be at peace with the concept of living that way. Mourning is a perfectly normal, natural thing, but we as people have to move on eventually. It doesn’t have to happen tomorrow, or next week, or next year… but eventually it should.

Ugh, that sounded way too nebulous for my liking, lol.

Eh SG, what you say is true (more on that in a second), but still…empathically you can’t help but feel depressed when you read this…just, you know, feeling what he felt. I mean, you can talk about how that’s not a good way for someone to feel, it’s self-destructive and all, but the fact is, it’s still tragedy, and you still feel horrible/depressed.

In a certain way it’s kinda noble to devote your entire life to oblivion, to a dream, to a memory - it can give you a certain look in your eyes, a certain heaviness in your heart, that reeks of…oh, I don’t know. EXISTENCE. Humanity. And it’s damn cool, in that way. But really…it’s no way to live. He’s resigned himself to death, consciously, which makes it all the more noble, but no different from the hundreds of millions who resign themselves to death unconsciously - who believe there is nothing more to life on this earth than just…getting by. They are, in effect, zombies, dead men walking, ALL of whose plight is tragic, cause being dead inside, they can love life no more. And neither can he, which, I agree with SG on this, is the REAL tragedy here. That not one, but two people died that night…

-Mazrim Taim

Well, I agree too, but I just am apalled that he remains that way. That’s one of the worst things a person can do to themself. It’s not like I didn’t think it was sad or anything, I just kinda found it more sad that it comes down to a more selfish sort of thing like that.

:frowning: oh so sad, cry me a river.

any effect this story could have had on me was completely destroyed when i (highlighting the text as i read it) came across this in the second to last paragragh on page 2:

We talked about everything in the world as we walked to her house. When we got there I found we were holding hands. That’s something we did from then on.k here to add your text. [sic]

it happens again on the next paragraph and even the goddam “next” button.

then it happens on the 4th page every fucking paragraph.