This feels weird. I'd say "a spam to end all spams"

RPGCers who know me well enough might know my urge to open a thread for about every new kind of spam I receive (new at least for me). This one is special.

I received an email – actually a spam – saying I could get rid of spams definitively, or in worst case, reduce the spam flow in my inbox. I opened this one just to see how it was and it was a beautiful, eye-catching html message.

It advertised an anti-spam program (funny that it came as a spam) called euodeioSPAM (ihateSPAM in portuguese). There was a link to the official site by the end of the mail (I typed it, though, suspecting some code in the link). It goes by the www.companyname.com.br model, so it doesn’t look like a cheat at first.

Reaching there, it looks like something serious. I’ve read it all and seen screenshots. It’s a program that looks like a mail manager. It may work as a mail manager alone or as a plugin for another one like Outlook.

It has a series of functions, including filters, safe lists, & everything ISP’s provide for the comfort & safety of their users, only that these are so much more customizable.

The one thing that made me wish to install it was a function called Counter Attack, which allows you to spam someone back. It reads: “for those spammers who insist in sending mail to you, even when you’ve requested them to not doing so, the user may counter-attack sending hundreds or thousands of emails with the size he wishes to the spammer, who will not be able to tell where these emails are coming from.” I was seduced by the idea, but a moment later it seems kinda like impossible for me.

The price for the thing is reasonable, but here is where it looks like a scam. You may buy it with credit card, and then wait for some days to receive a CD by mail. Or you may download a shareware (you have to submit name & email to a server before proceeding). The first thing seems like a CD that will never reach here + my credit card number in some bad intentioned person’s hand. The second looked like downright scamming, since you are confirming to someone that your email account is active.

I know that this is scamming since the beggining just for having reached me through spam, but the fact that they made it so realistic is disturbing. I wonder how many people who don’t know how to avoid spamming by their own means will put some faith in it’s supposed effectiveness when they hear the promise of getting rid of spam through a program. Even if said promise comes via spamming.

The most effective way to kill spam is to send a response email; masked as the mailerdaemon, saying that this email adress do not exist: At least that works just fine for me.

Originally posted by Nulani
The most effective way to kill spam is to send a response email; masked as the mailerdaemon, saying that this email adress do not exist: At least that works just fine for me.

Brilliant.

Wish I knew how to do that…

Ren: Yep, smells like a scam to me (and my nose is stopped up with snot greatly reducing my sense of smell at the moment). Soliciting your credit card number and your email address are definite red flags.

As for Portugese Langauge Spam…kinda interesting. Reminds me of the German language spam I get, just because my email starts with “DerKaiser”

sings the Spam Song

Of course, EVERYONE knows how to do THAT! It’s that simple!

Ha, I love it! :slight_smile:

I’ve done that before, and it’s killed a lot of spam I used to receive (most went into my family friendly spam folder, but some got through to me).

Tell me so I can do it? Pweese?