The Xeno Games

I bought Xenosaga today. I’ve been looking for Xenogears for awhile, since I’ve never played it, but want to get it before it goes entirely obsolete. Couldn’t find it, but I found a low priced (ha!) used XS, so I got that. I don’t really want to play it before getting into Gears.

How are the three games connected?
Should I wait to play?
What does the storyline revolve around?
How fun is the battle system?
How grea tis the music?

I guess Iwant a rundown of XS. Don’t spoil anything though.

I bought a brand new copy of Xenogears off eBay a couple months ago…and sold it to Crotanks. :stuck_out_tongue:

1. Let me put it like this, Xenosaga is Phantom Menace and Xenogears is The Return of the Jedi with a lot of images from The Empire Strikes Back. The whole continuity is split into five episodes, Xenogears is Ep. V with a lot of info from EP IV, III and II, while Xenosaga is Episode I (Xenosaga Episode II is STILL part of the storyline Episode I)

2. It’s fine if you play Xenosaga I and II and then Xenogears, or play Xenogears and the Saga I and II.

3. You want to play the games before asking for plot explanations. I’m serious, Chrono Cross is is a children’s fairy tale compared to this mess.

4. It’s a pain in the ass.

5. Xenogears music is pretty awesome, and it’s got the best two game mucic themes ever. Go download Stars of Tears and Small of Two Pieces and you’ll see what I mean.

I can’t give you a spoiler-free rundown, because important stuff happens right from the beginning of Xenogears and the spotlight changes all the time. You just have to play it, it’s one of the best games I’ve ever seen.

1. Let me put it like this, Xenosaga is Phantom Menace and Xenogears is The Return of the Jedi with a lot of images from The Empire Strikes Back. The whole continuity is split into five episodes, Xenogears is Ep. V with a lot of info from EP IV, II and II, while Xenosaga is Episode I (Xenosaga Episode II is STILL part of the storyline Episode I

What?!

I can’t give you a spoiler-free rundown, because important stuff happens right from the beginning of Xenogears and the spotlight changes all the time. You just have to play it, it’s one of the best games I’ve ever seen

Aaaaaarg. So it wont be too confusing to go ahead with XS1?

I’m pretty sure the director has since declared that Xenosaga, while nominally connected to Xenogears in some areas, is no longer part of the same general story arc as XG. I know I’ve heard claims of such a declaration.

Anyway, Xenosaga sucks.

I enjoyed XG more than XS. Both are good games though. XS though is sometimes boring, especially at the start.

Now you’re making me wish I spent 31 dollars on shoes :frowning:

All you need to know is that it is an average game with a purportedly terrible sequel.

Episode I: Things happen in Space involving Stuff.
Episode II: Stuff 1 arrives to a planet and starts making more stuff. Stuff 2 is also in the planet. Stuff 1 and Stuff 2 battle each other. Stuff 1 wins.
Episode III: Stuff 1 destroys it’s own stuff.
Episode IV: More powerful Stuff 2 destroys some more powerful Stuff 1 and then some of Stuff 2 destroys a lot of both Stuffs, leaving the planet almost devoid of stuff of either kind.
Episode V: Stuff 2 fights against Stuff 1 yet again.

There’s your non-spoiler summary, clear now?

Nah, it’ll be fine.

I think that’s because of some copyright issues, with the makers of Saga and Gears not being the exact same and all that. Both series seem to follow each other pretty well.

You probably would’ve heard more music if you had bought shoes.

Xenogears is definitely one of the most complicated crazy plots ever conceived in a video game. Every little thing in the game has an explanation and legitimate reason for being, though many things don’t click till some other event hours later. It is one hell of a mind fuck and your mind will love every bit of it.

Xenosaga 1… is a 30 hour movie with occasional gameplay tossed in. You seldom have control of your actions for more than half an hour at a time and then have to sit back and watch 15-60 minutes of cutscenes. To me it felt like it was just setting up for future events rather than doing much on its own.

I had a good time in XG, but I got 3/4 of the way through XS and I got Xeno’ed out. I’m bailing from the series, no matter how good the story/music is. I even enjoyed the mech combat, too…

I only played the XG demo a long time ago and had no problem going through XS1. I thought the latter was all right, I even liked watching all the movies, but when I think about it now, it was boring indeed. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s not a fun game to play. You should still give it a try, but make sure to go through the ridiculously long and music-less intro before making up your mind. I might get XS2 if I can find a very cheap copy or if someone buys it for me.

Hah, that is so true. :stuck_out_tongue:

Xenogears = The Shit
Xenosaga = …s’ok.

I like XS. I haven’t beaten it yet, but what I have played I liked. I played a little bit of XG and it’s fun too. From what I’ve played XG has a more complicated battle system, but XS has a more complicated form of strengthining your characters.

I’m waiting on a price drop for XS2. There’s no way I’m paying the current prices for that game.

That out of the way, I’ve played XG and XS1. I still haven’t finished Xenogears (blame my get to the end of the game and quit syndrome), but I have completed XS1. There are a couple of common threads in the games that (I believe) lead people to think the games must invariably be inextricably intertwined. I really wanted to use that many “in” words. However, not having played one before the other really won’t ruin your experience. I’ve enjoyed both a lot.

XS1 is much more plot-heavy comparatively speaking, since it’s more like a somewhat interactive movie in my opinion. I had fun with the battles (sometimes) and trying to avoid enemies on the field by being vewwy kwiet or blowing things up, ha ha. How I decided to improve my characters was sort of enh sometimes, but it has been a while since I last played anything at all.

I hope you enjoy. :smiley:

Xenosaga wasn’t so bad. The story was good, but far too much was unresolved with it. I know it’s Part 1 of a series, but it could do with a little more closure, particularily since nothing really actually gets resolved in the course of the entire game. The battles are pretty fun, though.

Haven’t played Xenosaga 2 yet, so I can’t comment.

Xenogears, on the other hand… I know you’ll like it. The presentation of the game is fairly similar to the Chrono games, which is fitting seeing as that the games are from the same development team. The story (which, by the way, is very similar to Evangelion the anime in terms of plot and characters) is deep down, something resembling Chrono Trigger without the time travel, only a lot more complicated and a lot more emotional… the near endgame sequences are some of the most moving and emotional scenes in videogaming history. The battles are fun, if a bit repetitive, and though the game seems incomplete at times, it’s definitely enthralling from start to finish.

Both games are VERY heavy on religious symbolism, philosophy, and psychology, as well.

Let me explain this to you:

When on Gears (The big robots), what actually matters is what stuff you equipped outside of battle, since all you can do is punch (Weak, Medium and Strong, just like Chrono Cross), use some generally weak Ethers (Magic spells which become more and more useless as the game goes on) and use Deathblows.

When on foot, you have all sorts of options like the Weak/Medium/Strong hit, using/learning Deathblows, charging for Combos and use Ethers of all kinds. What you will actually end up doing will be repeating the exact same button sequence at least ten times per Boss battle for each character to deliver your best Deathblow over and over and over taking the occasional break to use healing Ethers (The only ones you’ll ever use on foot) and sometimes in Boss battle, you’ll limit yourself to hitting triangle once per turn to Charge a Combo.

I know you are not familiar with what I mean by Deathblow, but fear not since you’ll quickly realize and remember this word as the game goes on, and you’ll probably end up wincing in disgust each time you hear it by the end of it

If you really want a good idea from the beginning, I suggest you read a little about Gnoticism, Freud’s psychological theory and Nazi beliefs.

You spent $31 on Xenosaga? That’s a greatest hits title, now. I don’t know how much Sony charges you Canadians for GH titles, but we only have to pay $19.99 for them down here.

Still looking for Xenogears? Buy it brand new for $19.99 (USD) from <A HREF=“http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec_MAIN.Entry24?SP=10023&PN=1&V1=283903&xid=32695&search_id=18222513&doc_id=1&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0”>Square Enix</A>.

Thanks for your input, guys :smiley:

And Saturn…you make me cry ;_; I got it at EB Games, and it was a used copy (the new one being 5 dollars more)…damn I feel silly now. But I can’t find Xeno anything ANYWHERE. I’m also looking for an old copy of Tales of Destiny, and there’s nothing around. The only greatest hits titles I’ve seen around are CC, FF-something or other, Vagrant Story, etc.