The Writer's Strike

Agreed. Those unions are full o’ damn commies. Let’s blacklist all of those, while we’re at it.
Wait, I think we did something like that once.

I’m pretty sure what’s destroying America is a combination of retarded people and the “crazy checks” with which they pay their internet bills. We should blacklist’em all.

I bet Zhare lives in Chicago cause he continues the proud tradition of the general strikers! Damn greedy writers, wanting to get paid for internet broadcasting of their works -there’s no money there (only $19,5 total)- or wanting to renegotiate an agreement that was explicitly a stepping stone. Is there a paypal link so I can send my money to those poor producers?

Here’s what I think will REALLY decide the strike’s fate: not the writers or the studios or the public, but the Ad Agencies. Why? Because they are the ones that keep the TV Networks running with the money they pay to have their ads run during prime time. They even pay for it ahead of time. But what will happen when the shows go into reruns or get replaced with unscripted reality shows or games? The audience will likely drop, and the agencies will get gypped. They’re actually considering gasp! asking for their money back if that happens. Now THAT should put the Fear of God in the studios. See here for details:

http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=122190

no they are full of cappies

An anti-union capitalism hater? I find it hard to believe you understand your own political stances.

Maybe he meant Kappa(s), the Japanese cucumber monsters?

Oh. In that case, how could I argue? Full points!

OK, here’s the latest news. It doesn’t look like the current negotiations are going to work either. :frowning: This article also gives us some info about the money being fussed over. Of course, this isn’t a neutral source so take it with salt:

NBC, at the very least, seems to be willing to wait out the strike:

The networks aren’t taking the strike lying down, as is reported in this New York Times article: “NBC has made an ambitious deal, apparently the first of its kind, to buy a two-hour – or perhaps even three-hour – block of prime-time programming from outside producers, including Thom Beers, the creator of adventure documentary series like ‘Deadliest Catch’ and ‘Ice Road Truckers.’ Under the plan, NBC has agreed to broadcast at least two new hours produced by Mr. Beers back to back on a single night, with many more hours possible. The terms guarantee Mr. Beers and his partners 30 hours of programs on NBC – three separate 10-episode series.” This would be cheaper than both scripted and reality programming. Crafty.

(Taken from Comic Book Resources)

Wow, things are REALLY heating up now. The writers are actually disrupting TV show tapings now!

Well, at least Carson Daly’s, the Late-Late-Late night show host who is the only one to return to the air since the strike began. Then again, he didn’t have much of a choice, as NBC threatened to cancel his show, something they don’t dare do with Leno’s or Conan’s (too profitable.) (Daly’s actually been asking the public to send him jokes!)

While this sounds humorous, it doesn’t make the writers look good. Bad PR move, folks.

It would be interesting to observe how the strike affects the upcoming award shows: the Golden Globes and the Oscars.
If the strike is not settled by January 13, the Golden Globes ceremony could become a dazzling picket line at the Beverly Hilton. The Hollywood Foreign Press Assn. is hoping the WGA will grant it a waiver to employ union members to compose speeches for the hosts and the stars who present the awards.
If WGA agrees to the waiver, then the gala will be one fancy studio-bashing event.
But how many nominees will show up regardless of the waiver?
David Duchovny had an interesting (funny?) comment: “I would never cross picket lines, I would probably send a stunt double in.”

You got a point there, Seifer:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071214/ap_en_ce/hollywood_labor_awards

Man, I hope they solve things before The Oscars, because I never miss the show. The Globes are OK, but they’re just the warm-ups for the Oscars.

They should be able to get by with stand-up comics improvising jokes… which will probably be about the strike. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good and bad news. First the bad: The WGA will not allow its members to write for the big Award Shows:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071218/ap_en_tv/hollywood_labor_awards_shows

This has the possibility of ruining the Oscars… I guess the Golden Globes will give us an idea of how it will go.

Now the good news: Leno is back!! Oh, and that Conan fellow too:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071218/ap_en_ot/tv_late_night_return

Yay!!! I need my dose of Leno every night!! :hyperven: Ahem Honestly, I don’t think Leno will need the writers much. He’s great at improvising, and most of the written skits were poor anyway. Like I suggested once, just interview the guest performer as well. (The show usually has two guests and a live music number.)

O’Brien, on the other hand, can only benefit from not having writers. Really, some of his stuff is truly awful. Masturbating Bears, Horny Manatees… This guy is set to replace Leno on the Tonight Show? 0.o

This sucks. The shows have run out now except those that are probably going to be canceled soon. Good old K-Ville (first show to be made in New Orleans since Katrina if I recall the article correctly) got smashed by Monday Night Football and Heroes but survives because…there’s nothing left. Jericho’s fans might find that stunt they pulled off with the peanuts might pay off since there really will be nothing on when the show comes back.

The reality shows are already kicking in. Clash of the Choirs? Duel? There’s a lie detector test game show coming on. The previews have a father asking his daughter if she blames him for ruining the family and then a fat lady asking someone if they find fat preople repulsive.

Please. Corporations. Just give the writers what they want. The day Farmer Wants A Wife airs instead of 24 is just going to be an awful day in television history.

Here are the latest developments, and boy they are shocking…

-The Golden Globes Awards Show has been canceled out of fear of picketing and poor Star attendance (most celebrities either support the writers or fear earning their wrath.) Well, technically the show will go on but only as a press conference, which is not likely to be attended by celebrities. This has resulted in a loss of MILLIONS of dollars for the Hollywood people who produce the show or simply attend details like hairdressing or security. This is on top of the other losses caused by the strike.

The people who make the Oscars, however, swear their show WILL air. If so, it’ll be interesting to see who shows up and how the writers protest it…

Meanwhile, the Critic’s Choice Awards aired this weekend without a hitch.

-The United Artists movie company (owned by Tom Cruise) has struck a deal with the WGA that will allow the writers to work for them. This was done without the approval of their parent company, MGM.

-By now, all of the Late Night talk shows that were in reruns since the strike began are back on the air, but only David Letterman has writers since they made a separate deal. The rest are improvising as they can. Leno has gotten in trouble with the WGA for still doing his monologue section; he’s an actual WGA member and they insist he cannot write jokes even for himself, while he insists he can. Ironically, Leno (and all the others) still support the writers in their shows, mostly by making fun of the studios they work for.

Ninja Edit: The People’s Choice Awards are airing right now- with NO audience and all acceptance speeches pre-recorded! It’s being hosted by Queen Latifah (by herself) and there’s no canned applause or even background music. It’s incredibly LAME! and I loved this show… T_T )

I’m just glad that the Daily Show and the Colbert Report are back. (even if it’s a bit sparse and a tad too reliant on the “ZOMG!!! I have no script” jokes) Now I can start following the political process again.

I’m just glad that the Daily Show and the Colbert Report are back. (even if it’s a bit sparse and a tad too reliant on the “ZOMG!!! I have no script” jokes) Now I can start following the political process again.

I am happy you share your relief Killmore, it is an informing show. I watched a little of the people’s choice awards last night, boring without the writers to let you know.

All these award shows are extravagant trash anyway. The people’s choice is one of the worst, frankly people make terrible choices.

I watch these shows mostly for the fun of them, I don’t really care who wins what. If anything, at least the People’s Choice Awards allow the common folk to vote rather than snotty critics who rarely pick popular movies. I’d rather see the shows feature movie clips from “Transformers” than 'Juno". :stuck_out_tongue:

The best are the MTV Movie Awards, because they’re so crazy. Hmm, I wonder if they will be affected by the strike as well?

As for options left to the Oscars, here’s a list:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20007870_20164475_20170269,00.html

I think waiting until the strike is over would be the wisest choice for them.

Ah yes, I remember laughing out loud at Gollum’s acceptance speech …