The worlds most powerful computer...

The Earth Simulator

The Earth Simulator, located in Yokohoma, Japan, sits at the top of the current Top 500 http://www.top500.org list with a peak performance of 40 TeraFLOPS per second and a LINPACK benchmark peak of 35.6 TFLOPS/second.

Following is the performance spec of the Earth Simulator:

5,120 (640 8-way nodes) 500 MHz NEC CPUs
8 GFLOPS per CPU (41 TFLOPS total)
2 GB (4 512 MB FPLRAM modules) per CPU (10 TB total)
shared memory inside the node
640 × 640 crossbar switch between the nodes
16 GB/s inter-node bandwidth
20 kVA power consumption per node

TeraFLOPS?

don’t ask… it’s currently the number one most powerful computer :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, I’m asking ;p
I did a google search and saw that TeraFLOPS is a company. I take it they specialize in combining many processors or something?
Edit: 2 560 000 MHZ?

most probably, I wouldn’t know for sure… this was mentionned to me on icq from one of my friends who happened to stumble upon a popup concerning said topic

Originally posted by Drak
[b]The Earth Simulator

The Earth Simulator, located in Yokohoma, Japan, sits at the top of the current Top 500 http://www.top500.org list with a peak performance of 40 TeraFLOPS per second and a LINPACK benchmark peak of 35.6 TFLOPS/second.

Following is the performance spec of the Earth Simulator:

5,120 (640 8-way nodes) 500 MHz NEC CPUs
8 GFLOPS per CPU (41 TFLOPS total)
2 GB (4 512 MB FPLRAM modules) per CPU (10 TB total)
shared memory inside the node
640 × 640 crossbar switch between the nodes
16 GB/s inter-node bandwidth
20 kVA power consumption per node [/b]

Now that’s what I call a supercomputer!
drools

Dude, I wonder how many FPS I could get in Quake 3 with this machine.

FLOPS = Floating point operations, basically a calculation involving real numbers

So TeraFLOPS is a trillian floating point operations.

There was also a company called MIPS (they actually made a processor for the N64, and the rabbit in Mario 64 was named MIPS after the company). MIPS is Million Instuctions per Second. The company was named after the abbreviation.

I am guessing a company named TeraFLOPS would be doing the same thing, naming the company after the measure of high performance computing power most prevalent at the time.

Buy me it?

TerraFlops is quite a lot, most workstations are yet to cross 1 GigaFlop. Unless you count Macintosh into it all.

Say we do/ What then?

And holy fscking hell that’s one mama of a PC.

I WANT THAT COMPUTER! prepares to steal it

Old news. It’s been the most powerful for over a year now (April 18th 02 I believe it shot up to the number 1)

well whatever, it was mentionned to me today and thought it would be interesting…

And why else are we here except to see things and gawp at them no matter it’s age?