The Third Annual RPGClassics March Madness Challenge

I HAVE BEEN ACCOSTED!

Beware.

:kissy:

The brackets are in, and the teams are set! Drumroll please.

Team 984:
deathstryke and Eden

Team Ackbar:
Cless and Flint

Team Ez:
Taran and Killmore

Team Kero:
Kor and VE

The various brackets, namely the final four and champions, will be released once the first round is OVAH. The first games start tomorrow.

I feel bad for Ackbar.

I’m with ya

The first round is OVAH! And what a first round it was.

A little history going into this tournament regarding one very special team. This team had only 9 scholarship players, two players getting injured for the season earlier in the year, one player quitting, and two others being dismissed from the team for very good reasons. The coach was under fire and was probably going to be fired despite fostering one of the classiest programs during his five years as the head coach. This team went 13-16 in the regular season. It went 4-12 in its conference’s regular season play. It ended up last in its division (the conference was split into two divisions, East and West, this team in the East). Now, the NCAA tournament offers an automatic spot to each conference’s tournamnet champion (regular season champion in the case of the Ivy League). This team’s only shot of making the Big Dance was to win the tournament.

The conference tournament was split into 4 games over the span of 4 consecutive days (3 games over 3 days for the top four teams in the conference). It won the first game of the tournament in OT, beating a team that it had just lost two by about 20. They were now 14-16. The second game was postponed due to tornadoes hitting the arena where the game was being held. Now, the coach of this team wanted the game postponed to the next day and the two semifinal games to be held the same day as the championship so that two teams would have to play two games in one day; that is fair after all. Instead, the conference dictated that the winner of the postponed game (held a day later than it should have been) would have to play two games in one day.

The postponed game was held at about 12:30. This horrible, horrible team won, again in OT, against a team it had never beaten in the conference tournament. 15-16. It played its second game that night at about 9:45. Amazingly, this team won, in regulation time no less! 16-16. Then came the championship game. This team cruised to a rather easy win, never trailing during the game. The closest the margin ever was after the initial minutes was three points, one possession, late in the game. This time did not give in though. It thrived and persevered. When other teams would have been fatigued and given up after playing 4 games in 3 days with a bench that couldn’t even replace all the starters, this team lived on the adversity and left as conference tournament champions for only the second time in school history. The coach’s job was saved, and the team was headed for the bracket of 65.

17-16. NCAA tournament bound. Four wins in four (three) days. The team that went 4-12 in regular season conference play won just as many games in the tournament as it did all year. Why do I care you ask? The conference was the Southeastern Conference. The first team beaten was Ole Miss. The second team beaten was the University of Kentucky. The third team beaten was Mississippi State. The fourth team beaten was the University of Arkansas. The champion was the MOTHER FUCKING UNIVERSITY OF GEORGIA BULLDOGS. FUCK YEAH. UGA! GO DAWGS! WE THE CHAMPS, BITCHES!

Anyway, as for the REAL March Madness (PFAH), we have a few interesting things going on. The first day was rather boring. The only upset was 11-seed Kansas State over 6-seed Southern Cal. Two-seed Duke almost lost to 15-seed Belmont (HAH), but some shady officiating and poorly designed plays gave the Belmont Bruins a 1 point loss. The second day was better. The games were better, and one city had all four lower seeded teams win. In Tampa, Florida, 12-seeds Villanova and Western Kentucky beat Clemson and Drake respectively, and 13-seeds San Diego and Siena beat UConn and Vanderbilt. One city has never had all four lower seeds win in the first round before.

The brackets and my analysis will be posted later today. I mistakenly have three team members for Ez and one for Kero. One of y’all mind refreshing me on which two Idiots y’all took?

I have Taran and Killmore, Kero has Kor and VE.

My god it’s three posts up. >_>

Fuck you.

THis is the funniest post I’ve seen in a long, LONG time.

You never want to bottom though. :kissy:

On to the brackets!

<size=+2><b>Team Ackbar (360/640 points):</b></size>
<b>Cless (110/320) - </b>Final Four: Arkansas, Cal State Fullerton, Mississippi Valley State, Oregon. Oregon wins it all. Only Arkansas remains. His bracket is fucked as he can only get around 440 more points. He has no teams alive past the second round besides Arkansas and Duke.
<b>Flint (250/320) - </b>Final Four: Notre Dame, Siena, Oregon, Duke. Duke beats Notre Dame to win it all. Only Oregon is eliminated. His bracket is in good shape. Oregon is the only team in his Elite Eight AND Sweet Sixteen that is eliminated. All the other picks he got wrong the first round he had losing in the second round anyway. The current leader.

<size=+2><b>Team Ezboarder (380/640 points):</b></size>
<b>Killmore (220/320) - </b>Final Four: Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Texas A&M, Miami. A&M wins it all. Technically at the end of the first round, Notre Dame and A&M still remained. The Memphis and UCLA brackets aren’t fucked over. Has a good chance of scoring many points.
<b>Taran (160/320) - </b>Final Four: Notre Dame, Wisconsin, UCLA, Temple. Notre Dame wins it all. Only Temple is eliminated. The Kansas region is like the only one not fucked over. The rest can only net him maybe 120 points total.

<size=+2><b>Team Kero Hazel (350/640):</b></size>
<b>Kor (200/320) - </b>Final Four: Oklahoma, Stanford, USC, UCLA (he loved that Pac-10). USC wins it all. Only USC is eliminated. His Kansas region is pretty fucked; he can only get 60 more points from there, requiring UNLV to go to the Elite Eight. He actually got the UCLA region perfect. His North Carolina region is healthy too; if he gets it all right, he would have missed out on only 10 points due to Butler beating South Alabama. He can only get points in the Memphis bracket if Stanford keeps winning, which they should. So, he has two busted regions and two pretty much perfect regions. The standard RPGC March Madness disparity.
<b>Valkyrie Esker (150/320) - </b>Final Four: Arkansas, Portland State, Temple, Baylor. Arkansas wins it all. Only Arkansas remains. I can’t even begin to analyze it. Every bracket is fucked.

<size=+2><b>Team The 984 (370/640):</b></size>
<b>Eden (150/320) - </b>Final Four: Washington State, Michigan State, Belmont, and Kent State. Kent State wins it all. Kent and Belmont eliminated. He didn’t get a single game correct in the first round of the Kansas region, completely screwing over all points from there. The Memphis region is his best region to get points.
<b>deathstryke (220/320) - </b></size>Final Four: Belmont, Gonzaga, Butler, Stanford. Belmont and Gonzaga eliminated. None of his brackets are that fucked over really. He has plenty of points to get from all of them. He’s in decent shape, should a few games fall his way.

Go Ducks!

I thought I was a bigger idiot than this? ;_;

At least no team in particular is fucked over yet.

Also… Go Irish!

The second round is OVAH!~

So, the second round had some nice stories. There were two 12 vs 13 seed games. 12-seed Villanova beat 13-seed Siena and 12-seed Western Kentucky beat 13-seed San Diego. Western Kentucky is the most unexpected team in the Sweet 16, I would say. However, despite that, the real stories of the second round is 10-seed Davidson beating 2-seed Georgetown and 7-seed West Virginia beating 2-seed Duke. Now, Georgetown and Duke both stumbled down the end of the season. However, I thought Duke was at least better than that. Georgetown, I’m not totally surprised given they won a few games at the end due to some very shady officiating (as did Duke, as did UCLA), but I am surprised they lost to DAVIDSON. Oh well. The top 4 seeds survived out of the Carolina region (Carolina, Washington State, Louisville, and Tennessee). The top three plus the fifth seed survived the Memphis bracket (Memphis, Michigan State, Stanford, Texas). I think the Spartans of Mich. St. will beat the Tigers of Memphis. We shall see though.

Fun Fact: Davidson is the only team in the bracket of 64 that not a single Idiot picked to win a game. Everyone picked Gonzaga to beat them in the first round.

On to the brackets!

<size=+2><b>Team Ackbar (580/1280 points):</b></size>
<b>Cless (170/640) - </b>Final Four: Arkansas, Cal State Fullerton, Mississippi Valley State, Oregon. Oregon wins it all. No teams remain. He can get no more points. He got three games right in the second round, but he has all those teams losing in the Sweet 16. He has surpassed TD’s results from the 1st contest (190 points) as having the worst bracket in RPGClassics March Madness history.
<b>Flint (410/640) - </b>Final Four: Notre Dame, Siena, Oregon, Duke. Duke beats Notre Dame to win it all. No team remains. After a fast start, Flint’s bracket comes to a screeching halt. He can get only 120 points in the Sweet 16 and no more after that. He actually has two Sweet 16 match ups correct, which is pretty cool. He correctly predicted UCLA/Western Kentucky and Texas/Stanford. He needs Tennessee, Stanford, and Western Kentucky to win to maximize his points, 40 points per win there.

<size=+2><b>Team Ezboarder (540/1280 points):</b></size>
<b>Killmore (320/640) - </b>Final Four: Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Texas A&M, Miami. A&M wins it all. No teams remain. He can only get 120 more points, just like Flint. He correctly predicted the West Virginia/Xavier match up. He needs Tennessee, Xavier, and Michigan State to all win this round to get any more points. Flint has clinched a place standing over Killmore due to both picking Tennessee to win. The closest Killmore can pull to Flint is trailing by 10.
<b>Taran (220/640) - </b>Final Four: Notre Dame, Wisconsin, UCLA, Temple. Notre Dame wins it all. UCLA and Wisconsin remain. He can get 360 more points. He can get 120 more if Wisconsin wins in the Sweet 16 (40) and Elite Eight (80). He can get 240 more points if UCLA wins in the Sweet 16 (40), Elite Eight (80), and Final Four (120). Funny enough, he can still finish behind Flint with 460 points if Tennesse and Stanford win while UCLA at the same time progressess to the championship game and Wisconsin loses to Davidson. That would leave Flint with 490 points and Taran with 460. At the same time, if Wisky and UCLA both win in the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight, UCLA loses in the Final Four, and the above Tennessee and Stanford wins happen, that would give also Taran 460 to Flint’s 490. Despite being so far behind Flint right now, there’s a little race there.

<size=+2><b>Team Kero Hazel (510/1280):</b></size>
<b>Kor (280/640) - </b>Final Four: Oklahoma, Stanford, USC, UCLA (he loved that Pac-10). USC wins it all. Stanford and UCLA remain. He can get 360 more points. He can get 120 points from UCLA (wins in S16 and E8) and 240 points from Stanford (wins in S16, E8, and F4). He has a better chance of catching and passing Flint than Taran does.
<b>Valkyrie Esker (230/640) - </b>Final Four: Arkansas, Portland State, Temple, Baylor. Arkansas wins it all. All teams eliminated. He can get 120 more points. He needs Western Kentucky, Stanford, and Louisville to win in the Sweet 16. He has no chance of catching Flint due to sharing the Western Kentucky and Stanford picks with him. However, Louisville is playing Tennessee. Flint picked Tennessee; VE picked Louisville. One of them will get 40 more points.

<size=+2><b>Team The 984 (650/1280):</b></size>
<b>Eden (290/640) - </b>Final Four: Washington State, Michigan State, Belmont, and Kent State. Kent State wins it all. Kent and Belmont eliminated. Despite not getting a single first round game correct in one of the four regions, he can still get 400 more points. He can get 40 more with a UCLA win in the Sweet 16, 120 more with a Washington State win in the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight, and 240 more with a Michigan State win in the Sweet 16, Elite Eight, and Final Four. Washington State and Michigan State are slight stretches to reach the Final Four and Elite Eight (I think Mich. St. will beat Memphis), but there’s a very good chance it could all happen. If he gets all 400 points, he will beat Flint (who would get 80 more). If Flint gets 120, then he would tie Eden 530 to 530 if Eden gets only 240 more points through Michigan St and Washington St making the Final Four.
<b>deathstryke (360/640) - </b>Final Four: Belmont, Gonzaga, Butler, Stanford. Only Stanford remains. He can get 280 more points. He needs Michigan State to beat Memphis and Stanford to beat Texas (a matchup he correctly predicted) to get any more points. That would be 40 points for each team in the Sweet 16. He would then have a Mich State/Stanford match up in the Elite Eight, requiring Stanford to win in that round and the Final Four. Both he and Flint have Stanford winning in the Sweet 16, so some games have to go his way to overtake Mr. I Have Too Many Names.

Team Analyses:
<b>Ackbar</b> can get only 120 more points due to Flint, making his best score 700.
<b>Ezboarder</b> can get 480 more points, making his best score 1020.
<b>Kero Hazel</b> can get 440 more points, making his best score 950. He actually wants UCLA to beat Western Kentucky (while making it to the Championship Game), screwing VE out of 40 points. If VE maximizes his points, the most Kero can get is 360, making his score 870. However, since Kero is an alum of UCLA, I think he has no qualms rooting for the Bruins.
<b>The 984</b> can get 480 more points, making his best score 1130. Basically, I want Mich. State and Stanford to both win in the Sweet 16. Then, I can root for EITHER team to make the championship game. Oh yeah, I want Washington State to make the Final Four and UCLA to win in the Sweet Sixteen. However, if we wind up with a Stanford/UCLA Final Four game, that could decide the Team Winner. I may prefer Mich. State to win the possible Mich State/Stanford match up just to cover my bases. Also, UCLA losing to Western Kentucky or in the Elite Eight would help me immensely against Kero and Ez.

whips Kor

And of course Ackbar has to have both the best and worst idiots on his team. If he didn’t, he wouldn’t be Ackbar. -_-

I’m rooting for team The 984.

I was rooting for the Gators again until my girlfriend had the decency to tell me they weren’t even in march madness.

Florida can always win the NIT. Against THE Ohio State University no less.

Sweet, I’m the measuring stick everyone else is compared to.

woo! not last!

The Sweet Sixteen is OVAH~!

I missed most of the Sweet 16 due to traveling. I did get to see a good portion of the Davidson/Wisconsin game. The Cinderella Stories of Western Kentucky and Villanova were ended by UCLA and Kansas. A 12-seed still has never beaten a 1-seed. Oh well. The Cinderella of this tourny is 10-seed Davidson, making it to the Elite Eight. For only the sixth time since they started seeding teams, all four 1-seeds made the Elite Eight. Will this be the first year all four make the Final Four? I hope not. This round, we have Memphis vs Texas, UNC vs Louisville, UCLA vs Xavier, and Kansas vs Davidson.

I still find it weird that the Cinderella of the tournament, Davidson, is the only team that wasn’t picked to win a game by any of the idiots. They name all kinds of other Cinderellas, but they miss out on this possible story.

On to the brackets!

<size=+2><b>Team Ackbar (580/1920 points):</b></size>
<b>Cless (170/960) - </b>Final Four: Arkansas, Cal State Fullerton, Mississippi Valley State, Oregon. Oregon wins it all. No teams remain. Bracket done.
<b>Flint (410/960) - </b>Final Four: Notre Dame, Siena, Oregon, Duke. Duke beats Notre Dame to win it all. No team remains. Tennessee lost to Louisville, Stanford lost to Texas, and Western Kentucky lost to UCLA. Due to that, Flint got no more points. Bracket done. Clinched second at least.

<size=+2><b>Team Ezboarder (580/1920 points):</b></size>
<b>Killmore (320/960) - </b>Final Four: Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Texas A&M, Miami. A&M wins it all. No teams remain. I was wrong last round. He had West Virginia beating Xavier, not vice versa. Xavier won, so he didn’t get that right. Tennessee and Mich State also both lost, so he missed out on those points. Bracket done.
<b>Taran (260/960) - </b>Final Four: Notre Dame, Wisconsin, UCLA, Temple. Notre Dame wins it all. UCLA remains. Wisky lost, so he missed out on those points. He has UCLA going to the championship game, so he got 40 points this round. He can get 200 more points. If UCLA goes to the championship game, he will pass Flint. He’s the only one that can pass Flint.

<size=+2><b>Team Kero Hazel (590/1920):</b></size>
<b>Kor (320/960) - </b>Final Four: Oklahoma, Stanford, USC, UCLA (he loved that Pac-10). USC wins it all. UCLA remains. Stanford lost to Texas, so Kor misses out on 240 possible points. He can get 80 more points if UCLA beats Xavier. He can’t pass Flint.
<b>Valkyrie Esker (270/960) - </b>Final Four: Arkansas, Portland State, Temple, Baylor. Arkansas wins it all. All teams eliminated. He got 40 more points from Louisville beating Texas. Bracket done.

<size=+2><b>Team The 984 (690/1920):</b></size>
<b>Eden (330/960) - </b>Final Four: Washington State, Michigan State, Belmont, and Kent State. Kent State wins it all. All teams eliminated. His sole 40 points came from UCLA winning in the Sweet 16. Michigan State and Washington State lost, so he missed out on those possible points. Bracket done.
<b>deathstryke (360/960) - </b>Final Four: Belmont, Gonzaga, Butler, Stanford. Only Stanford remains. He can get 280 more points. Michigan State and Stanford both lost, badly at that, so he got no points from them. Oh well. His bracket is done.

Team Analyses:
<b>Ackbar</b>'s teams are done. Currently tied for last with Ez.
<b>Ezboarder</b> can get 200 more points, making his best score 780. In order to pass me for first, he need UCLA to go to the championship game.
<b>Kero Hazel</b> can get 80 more points, making his best score 670. It doesn’t matter what UCLA does after that for him (at least in terms of this competition). He can’t pass me.
<b>The 984</b>'s teams are done. I have a small buffer. UCLA can win in the Elite Eight, and it won’t matter to me as Ez would have 660 points. However, I want UCLA to lose in the Final Four definitely. I’m rooting against the Bruins this round and the next. Sorry, Kero. I have clinched second at least.

Whoo, 2nd or better!