the story

Ok, here’s a brief explanation of what happened, the staff of course will get a more-detailed one.

On, christ, I think it was Thursday, the site went down. This was due to yet another hacker. This latest setback was very irritating for not only was I likely about 8 hours from having our security overhauled, but we had JUST got the site fully functional like the day or so before. Needless to say I and likely most people were pissed.

So anyway, after struggling with some server issues with our host, I got our server’s hard drive restored. Fortunately this time they left our old hard drive hooked up which made file transfer much easier since we didn’t have to ftp things. So then when I got home from work I fixed up some password issues, contracted RackAid to begin their security upgrade package (which Rast covered mone-wise), and waited impatiently. After they were done BN and I did a bunch of not-so-difficult-but-awfully-mundane server-related tasks, and well, a day or so later, we’re back in business.

Anyway, due to this security upgrade I hope that our security issues are over for quite some time, and I’ll thank God if they are :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks to you and people like you who keep this site running well, Merl.

Man, you people who keep RPGC running kick ass.

Ghetto High Five. Wooooo!

My thanks, Merl. Glad to know this will most likely never happen again.

Originally posted by Valkyrie Esker
and with that, the site gets hacked again.

Same thing here.
Damn hacker! That jerk has been getting on our nerves for too long.

And of course, we’re all assumign this is all done by one person.

It could very well be the work of just one person. The questions are who and why…

I’ve been wondering, anybody remember that guy that would copy and paste stuff off of our shrines and post it on his own websites as his own? I think his name was Dark Cloud. Anyway, he did it 3 or 4 times and we kept finding out about it and we’d mass email him or something and he’d close it up.

Maybe he feels the need for revenge or something? I dunno, but since we haven’t got a clue whose behind all this, maybe we should start compiling a list of people who don’t like RPGC? Jim should be at the top of that list, since he has hacked the site before, and I think this Dark Cloud guy should be in there somewhere as well.

Now we can sue someone if we’re hacked again. That’s the only purpose of security enhancement firms, after all. nod, nod

And I think we shouldn’t point fingers: Not untill we know for certain.
Didn’t your mother tell you that pointing isn’t nice? Mine didn’t.

Originally posted by Nulani
[b]Now we can sue someone if we’re hacked again. That’s the only purpose of security enhancement firms, after all. nod, nod

And I think we shouldn’t point fingers: Not untill we know for certain.
Didn’t your mother tell you that pointing isn’t nice? Mine didn’t. [/b]

Mine always told me that if I masturbate, I make God Cry.

At least yours told you something. I had to tell myself everything.

It could be any of a random number of visitors who, for whatever reason, don’t like the site or the people at the site. Maybe they made a user-name and were quickly banned or flamed. From what I’ve heard about Jim I don’t think its him, as some have suggested; I’ve heard stories that his scripting was pretty bad, he had to ask people for help a lot, etc., so going from that I doubt he’d be able to hack into a site without having the password or whatever it was he had last time. I think its probably some person, or a few people, who briefly had a user name and who most don’t even know or remember.

He must really be crying then. Almost all the world masturbates :stuck_out_tongue:

it was probably just sucky security on our part that made cracking it incredibly easy for the casual hacker who’s just scanning IP ports looking for holes.

I don’t even appear to have parents.

Well, all I have to say about this is new development is: YAY!

Yay. :yipee:

Originally posted by Merlin
[b]Ok, here’s a brief explanation of what happened, the staff of course will get a more-detailed one.

On, christ, I think it was Thursday, the site went down. This was due to yet another hacker. This latest setback was very irritating for not only was I likely about 8 hours from having our security overhauled, but we had JUST got the site fully functional like the day or so before. Needless to say I and likely most people were pissed.

So anyway, after struggling with some server issues with our host, I got our server’s hard drive restored. Fortunately this time they left our old hard drive hooked up which made file transfer much easier since we didn’t have to ftp things. So then when I got home from work I fixed up some password issues, contracted RackAid to begin their security upgrade package (which Rast covered mone-wise), and waited impatiently. After they were done BN and I did a bunch of not-so-difficult-but-awfully-mundane server-related tasks, and well, a day or so later, we’re back in business.

Anyway, due to this security upgrade I hope that our security issues are over for quite some time, and I’ll thank God if they are :stuck_out_tongue: [/b]
And now, you know the rest of the back story, good day!

thank you all who worked hard to get the site back up. Cheers to Merlin and any others!:yipee: