The so-called "ultimate" video game countdown.

Eh, is it just me, or are pretty much all the games there horribly misplaced?
…What exactly was so great about Halo that got it to number 2?

Halo made the Xbox “worth” buying. I use the term worth loosely. These are all based on taste ultimately, as to what kind of game is where. Rarely are they all that objective and you have to consider cultural influences where Japan would put DW at the top.

They were voted for by MTV viewers, so they probably represent which games are popular rather than which have the best gameplay. Most of those games do seem fairly popular. I was surprised that there were NFL and NBA series in there, but I take it they’re quite popular outside England. Nobody I know over here seems to like them too much anyway.

I’m surprised a sports game made it in there at all…considering that’s what you usually find clogging up the bargain bin at K-Mart. =P

MTV is crap now anyways. Ever since the 90s came about for MTV, they’ve gone to shit.

…And I don’t have a K-Mart anymore… Wal-Mart caused it’s demise. Wal-Mart has the mall beat, even. Wal-Mart is a fucking god of a store in this city.

It’s a popularity contest. most of my favorite games (not all, admittedly) are niche titles. Also, I know few people whom watch MTV and are intelligent. As such, I didn’t even bother watching it. Hell, I don’t watch TV at all.

Different people, different tastes.

I’d like to see the Metroid Series in there, kthxbye

I wasnt aware people who watched MTV had enough brainpower to push a button on a controller.

Heh, and the only reason DDR got on there is because the guys over at DDRFreak made a vote automater that shot DDR up to like 1 million votes a day. Im suprised it came in at 15.

Originally posted by Gackt

Because it was one of the best FPS made this generations of consoles.
It had great controls (for a console FPS that is), some of the best AI seen in a FPS, and evolutionized FPS.
While it didn’t bring too many new things to the table, it took concepts from other FPS (like vehicles from Tribes) and improved them.
There are more reasons then that. I’ll post the rest later.

If you want “evolutionized” AI in an FPS, look at Half-Life, that is what Halo built off of, pretty much. They just added a few things.
Video games aren’t just on consoles :\

If you want “evolutionized” AI in an FPS, look at Half-Life, that is what Halo built off of, pretty much. They just added a few things.
Video games aren’t just on consoles :\

I didn’t find HL’s AI that great.
Most of it was scriped avents from what I saw.

The reactions to grenades, the radio chatter that went on when they were actually giving orders, and pretty much anything you can find in Halo, AI-wise. (By AI, I mean the soldiers, not the aliens.)

Wow, surprised sims was above FF. Oh well.

The reactions to grenades, the radio chatter that went on when they were actually giving orders, and pretty much anything you can find in Halo, AI-wise. (By AI, I mean the soldiers, not the aliens.)

Well both games had great AI.
Personally, I felt Halo’s was better.

You have to play Halo to find out what seperates it from many other FPSes and maeks it so great. It has a cool story (yes, an actual story in a FPS), fluid and fast gameplay, great graphics (even today they are pretty good), the AI is MUCH better than Half-Life. The AI in Halo is much better than many other FPS with only a couple of other games being around. Heck, the enemies have some pretty good tactics, such as cover (they do it much mroe believably and smarter than other games). Plus, it’s got shooting, shooting, shooting, and more shooting (there’s A LOT of shooting in Halo). The Co-op element is also great, you can work strategies out, use vehicles together (warthog is the best example), it is just great. There is one level where you charge a beach and man that is cool. It is intense (especially on the harder difficulties). The environents are also HUGE and pretty open. Also, very little is scripted. In many FPSes, you sort of learn where the bad guys are then go around picking them. In Halo, each time you enter an area the situation plays out differently. The balance is also shit hot. Halo is largely what made the XBOX the success it is today. Not too many games can go 2 years without a price drop. Heck, just in the last month or so it finally came down to $29.99, still not even a Platinum Hit (although it has more than enough sales). I was like you too before I played it. I was wondering what the big deal was and what really seperated it from other FPSes, but it showed me. Just play it and be amazed. It is worth that second place spot. I thought Half-Life had fine AI, but Halo tops it pretty easily.

Well writen Info.
It’s also the best selling launch title this generation (near 4 million copies sold)

Ehh… I have played Halo, extensively.
Both on my friend’s X-Box and on my other friend’s computer. We’ve gone through most of the game and played the multiplayer plenty, but I still don’t see how it’s any better than Half-Life other than graphically.

Edit: I’m not saying halo’s not a good game, but they’re saying ít’s the second ultimate video game… I just wanna see what makes it that damn good :\

Its EGM and MTV. Their opinions aren’t gonna match yours. Only thing that got me was that MGS got beat by the Sims :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Sinistral
I use the term worth loosely.

Don’t. IMO, halo is barely worth renting, and it’s the best game exclusively for X-box. In fact, it’s miles above any other X-Box game, and it still blows. If there was ever a reason to buy an X-Box, halo was it.

Guh, I just read the list, and what the FUCK!? They put THPS and WWE Smackdown on a top list? Holy shit. That’s not a “best games” list. That’s a “most popular bullshit” list.

I think the Dead Kennedy’s said it best when they wrote the song “MTV get off the air”