THE RPGC SAGA 2005

“It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas,
Everywhere you go…”

A PARK BENCH, SOMEWHERE IN NEW YORK, EARTH-RPGC:

The afternoon was cold.

A young man sat in the bench, arms and legs spread apart, with a look of dissatisfaction on his face. He looked to be in his early 20s, and had long, wavy hair. His eyes were curious- one was green, one was blue. He wore a Metallica T-shirt and black jeans.

He looked bothered about something.

Suddenly, a figure approached him. He looked at the stranger out of the corner of his eye, and almost coughed aloud when he realized it was an old man in a black robe, with a white collar.

A Catholic Priest!

Now, he didn’t have anything in particular against religion- but nothing going for it, either. He looked away, trying to pretend he hadn’t noticed the man approaching. Secretly, he hoped the man would just keep walking along.

No such luck. The priest sat right next to him.
The young man sat up straight, so as to give the old man more room. But he still wouldn’t look straight at him. Please, don’t talk to me he thought. Don’t talk to m-
-“Nice afternoon isn’t it?” the old man said in a pleasant voice.
The young man cursed silently. The LAST thing he wanted to do right now was to talk to a Priest. He limited himself to nodding, and continued to stare straight ahead.
-“Is something bothering you, my son?” the priest asked.

The question made the young man grit his teeth. Dammit, can’t you tell I don’t want to speak to anyone right now? he thought, Nosy priest!
-“Are you, perhaps, pondering a turning point in your life?” the old man asked.
That comment caused the young man to turn around in surprise, and (unintentionally) stare at the priest. How’d he know that? Was it so blasted obvious?

He saw the old man’s face. He looked positively ancient, with a withered face, and completely white hair. His eyes were lively, however, and ice blue. And his smile was wide, and charming.
-“If you need someone to talk to, I’m the right person” he said, his smile widening.
The young man turned away. “Umm, no thanks, Mister-”
-“Father Luke” the Priest said.

Oh great, now he’s telling me his name the young man grumbled mentally. He knew a sermon was coming soon. He decided to walk away, but before he could stand up, the old man continued:

• “Now, I understand, you young people today, are not used to speaking about your problems, much less with religious figures. But consider this” he said, in a very sweet tone, “If you feel you can’t talk to those you know, then why not talk to a stranger- someone you might never see again in your life? Besides, anything you tell me, I will never tell anyone. You have an old priest’s word on it.”

The young man stared at the priest again, weighing the meaning of his words. Despite himself, he had to agree that, yes, he needed someone to talk to… and hell, why not a priest?

Besides, he seemed like such a charming little old man.

…What the hell, he figured.

He sat back, relaxed, and said, “…Okay.”
-“What is your name, Son?”
My name? Now THERE’S a good question the young man thought. He had gone by many names.
Rountree. Cybercompost. Loki. Genericangstyposter. And more. Most of them meaningless. Oh, he knew his REAL name- but little else about himself. His life was largely a mystery, even to him. Yet somehow, he knew what his name was, and that is was his “true” name- yet, he rarely could bring himself to use it, at least with others- as if he could not bring himself to share his true self with anyone else

Or at least, he couldn’t in the past. That had to change, he told himself.
“…Ken” he finally responded.
-“Very well, Ken” the old priest said, smiling even more, if that was possible. “What is troubling you?”

For a moment, Ken hesitated. Then he pointed ahead of himself, to a house on the other side of the street.
-“See that house?” he asked.
The priest nodded.
-“Well, the woman I love lives there.” He then stopped talking.
The priest smiled.
-“Are you going to ask her, “The Question?” he said.
Again, Ken stared at the man. He IS good, he thought.
-“It’s OK, Son” Father Luke said, “Marriage is something I also deal with.”
-“Umm, well, I am not exactly going to ask her to marry me…” Ken mumbled.
-“Oh, so you’re going to live together? That is OK, too.”
Ken stared at the priest in surprise. He didn’t expect THAT comment from a Catholic Priest!
The priest almost laughed. “Now, I HOPE you will consider marriage, of course. But, NO marriage works without love. And if living together is what it takes to make sure that you love each other, then I’m all for it.”

Love? Oh, Ken loved her. Of that, he had no doubt. In a way, that WAS the problem.

Their love was of the Burning Passion kind. The kind that neither of them could really explain. It went beyond looks, beyond compatibility, beyond sex- they just LOVED each other, in such an intense way, that neither of them could think straight when they were with each other- only ABOUT each other.

It had been a totally unexpected thing, to find her, and to discover how deep their love was. Did he want to marry her? To be together forever with her? YES!

But, did he really want her? What was this passion that brought them together? Will it be enough to ensure their happiness? Or will it drive them into doing crazy things? Are they really compatible? What if they just make each other miserable? Oh, if only he knew more about himself, maybe he wouldn’t have so many doubts. All he knew was that he was no normal human- neither of them was- could there be happiness, for such as them?

-“Cold feet are a natural thing” the priest continued. “Do not feel ashamed of it. When you live with someone, you have to be willing to sacrifice some of the freedoms you had as a bachelor. You simply, no longer live just for yourself. You have to consider her happiness as well.”

Father Luke took a deep breath, and then continued. “I know you must be thinking: is this the right thing to do? Will we be happy together?”
“But the thing is, Life is never a certain thing. Not even about love. Yes, you may be happy together. Or, you might be miserable. There is, however, only one way to find out.”
-“…Trying it” Ken said.
-“Indeed” the old man continued. “Go to her, my son". If your love is meant to be, you’ll soon find out. And if not, well, at least you will have the chance to try. That is more than many people in this world, ever get.”

Ken nodded. Father Luke was right. Why was he so afraid? He’d been thru worse things. Faced evil itself, indeed, in his adventures with RPGC. Surely, living with someone cannot be worse than that. Can it?

He stood up. He turned to the old man, and actually smiled.
-“Thanks, Father” he said, sincerely. “You helped me make up my mind.”
Luke smiled. “May God be with you.”

Ken nodded, and walked across the street.

He reached her house. He knocked on the door.
“Come in!” he heard her voice say. His heart leaped.

He took a deep breath. He opened the door, stepped inside-

[SPOILER]-AND IMMEDIATELLY FOUND HIMSELF FALLING INTO A DARK ABYSS!!
-“WHAT THE HEEELLL!?!!” Ken screamed, as he tumbled into the nothingness!!

His scream was so loud, it could actually be heard across the street!!

Where Father Luke, still sitting in the bench, continued to smile-

…sinisterly.[/SPOILER]

NEXT: What the hell was all that about? Maybe you’ll find next episode.

Or maybe not. :wink: You will, however, see more RPGC characters show up!

(Again, sorry about the shortness of the chapter, folks. I’m still writing these in my breaks from work. But, I’ll soon have more time for longer episodes, promise!!)

Those DEVIOUS priests.

Very nice story so far.

…that was unexpected.

Yes, yes it was. Very well done Wil :slight_smile:

Is it just me, or are you beginning to set up more pairs in these stories? :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting…

Damn, that was unexpected.

Wil, I like how you put that shocker into a spoiler, so you couldn’t just scroll down and see what was going to happen. Nice touch. Very sneaky.

Yeah, Ken really should’ve been tipped off by the priests nonchalance towards cohabitation. :stuck_out_tongue:

GG: The day my stories become predictable, is the day I QUIT writing. ^_~
Don’t worry, everything will start making sense soon.

Manus: So far, all the romance has just been a coincidence. I am, however, trying to focus more on everybody’s characterization and background this year. But don’t worry, there’ll plenty of action as well. :slight_smile:

Mune: After I wrote the last part, I realized I had to Spoiler-proof it or the shock would be lost to anyone who looked ahead. But I like how it worked out.

Demi: Yeah, I put that in intentionally as a subtle clue that something wasn’t right. However, poor Ken was too worried about other stuff to think about that. WHO “Father Luke” really is, however, is part of this year’s mystery. Let’s see if anyone can guess it in time… :smiley:

More stuff soon!!

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh… I’m faaaaaaaaaalllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing! I wonder where I’m going? To Hell? Down the rabbit hole? To Spain? If I go to Spain, that will be creepy, because I say “Let’s go to Spain,” all the time randomly IRL. :stuck_out_tongue:

Uh… yeah. Anyway- damnit. I’d like to talk to a Catholic Priest… but I would be apprehensive because I’d be afraid that I’d offend them, and I wouldn’t really want to do that because Catholicism is interesting. Not for me, but interesting. Judging the flavor of your previous works, I wouldn’t be surprised if “Father” Luke was a mythological character or a villain from a work of literature. Hurry- save me, guys (or have me save myself… I’d like that)!

And it’s pretty creepy how you NAILED it with the moving in issue. I am getting cold feet, but I know I love her… you know all that. I guess it’s something that everyone goes through. I may marry her later, although I don’t want to be married to someone when neither of us is in the position to support one another. I plan to at least graduate college before contemplating anything like that.

Wil, this seems so deep in emotion and such from what I’ve read of your other works. it, at least so far, has a real serious tone to it, yet you still have the surprise there. Very nice chapter.

Why you do those ends, Uncle??? :smiley: Anyway…nice episode. ^_~

Wee… Catholic Priest are scary. :smiley:

Nice chapter ^^

Excellent work Wil as always! Keep it up!

Nel: That’s what we in the Writing Business call an “unexpected twist”. :stuck_out_tongue:

GAP: I was careful to show that your character wasn’t anti-catholic -I didn’t know your feelings about that, so I tried to make clear he wasn’t angry at Luke for being a priest, only for butting in.

And yes, those doubts are natural in these situations, Ken. Er, I hear. I’ve never married or cohabitated, but I try my best to understand how other people feel about all sorts of stuff. Helps to write about people better… and deal with them in RL, too.

And don’t worry, there’s a lot more stuff involving you coming up!!

Next chapter is almost ready, folks!! Hopefully, it’ll be posted tonight!

SIO i have learned from like everything I have ever seen… NEVER EVER trust a priest/monk/preacher

There always manipulative or something evil in disguise. And this proves it!

Good job wil, nice dpeth to the characters and story but still and air of mystery and wonder. WOnderful.^^

Funny stuff, those are some awesome starting chapters.

“Take a look in the five-and-ten,
Glistening once again
With candy canes and silver lanes aglow"

THE HEADQUARTERS OF THE RIGHTEOUS PROTECTORS OF GOOD CAUSES, LOCATED SOMEWHERE IN NORTH AMERICA, EARTH-RPGC:

-…They’ve fixed up the place pretty well Wil thought, as he stood in the castle’s front yard, considering the damage done by Naar and his forces. Then again, we have some superhumanly capable persons here. But, whose idea was it to add dragons to the roof? They look more cute than awe-inspiring.

The day was cold, as winter began to settle in the area. Wil hated cold, but still, he just stood in place, his green cape flapping in the wind, staring at the building, and the sky beyond it, and- really, at nothing. He was lost in thought.

(So lost, in fact, that he failed to notice the figure hiding in the nearby bushes…)
-They haven’t yet put up the Xmas decorations… that’s unusual. Maybe they aren’t in the mood, what with the rebuilding…

(The figure stepped out of the bushes, still unnoticed by Wil.)

Wil’s thoughts continued to drift. He thought about Xmas, and what it meant to him. It was, without a doubt, his favorite season of the year. And not just for the partying, or its religious significance.

(Totally silent, like a cat, the figure began walking toward the distracted hero.)

For reasons unclear even to him, the universe –the entire Multiverse, indeed- had cycles, flows and ebbs in its natural forces. In the case of Good and Evil, Good was strongest around this time of the year, while Evil was strongest around Halloween. Perhaps it had something to do with the Winter Solstice, and the Autumn Equinox, respectively? If so, what forces wax and wane with the Spring Equinox, and the Summer Solstice, respectively, he wondered? Chaos and Order, perhaps?

(Closer it came. Closer, closer…)

Of course, “stronger’ doesn’t mean “absolute”- even in Xmas, terrible things could still happen- they just happened less often than on Halloween. The reverse was also true: Evil was not invincible, even on Halloween.

(The small figure was now standing right behind Wil. He still hadn’t noticed! Smiling sinisterly, it prepared to strike, tensing up its body like a cat about to pounce on a mouse.)

It wasn’t fair, Wil thought, but then again, Life in General wasn’t fair. That was why heroes like him were needed.

Ow. I didn’t want to think about THAT again he mentally cursed. He’d been trying to avoid thinking about his personal dilemma, but it just kept popping up. Alright, alright, I WILL face it he finally resolved. I’ve got to decide, once and for all, if I’ll continue being a hero, or if I’ll reti-
RAAAARRGH!! The scream was ear-piercing!!
-“EH??” Wil said in surprise, trying to turn around and see what had just roared behind him!
BUT IT WAS TOO LATE!!
Before he could even turn halfway, the small figure hit him full force on the back, knocking him off balance!!
-“WOOOFF!!” he gasped, as he fell to the ground, the small figure tangling itself around him!!
RAWWRR!! It continued to scream!
Wil hit the ground with a thud, the figure still in top of him! He tried to do something-strike with his staff, cast a spell, ANYTHING, but he just had no time or room to move. He couldn’t even see clearly who or what was attacking him! Panic settled in him, as he saw what he believed was the creatures’ head lunging at him, like a lion going for the throat!!
-“NO!!!” he screamed!
And then the figure-
-…kissed him in the check?
-SMACK!!
-“Eh?? What the heck??”
-“HIIIII WILLLLIIIIEEE!!!”
-“…CHRIS-CHRIS!?” he finally gasped in recognition.
-“WILLIE!! LONG TIME NO SEE!! THE CHRIS-CHRIS SO HAPPY!!” the young dragon-girl said happily, throwing her arms around his neck and hugging him fiercely.
-“Ooff!” Nice seeing you too, CC. But, let me STAND, will you?”
-“OH! Yeah. Sorry, Willie. The Chris-Chris get carried away sometimes.” She disentangled and rolled away, again with feline grace, and stopped a few feet away, sitting in the ground, clapping her hand together merrily.

Wil picked himself off the ground, picking his staff as well.
-“The Chris-Chris got you by surprise, didn’t she?” she said with childish glee. “The Chris-Chris caught Old Man Wil asleep on his feet!” she laughed.
-“Umm, yeah, you sure did” he said, dusting himself off, mentally castigating himself for having zoned out and being caught flat-footed.

Then he looked at her. And blinked.

CC looked different from when he had last seen her!

Her hair was slightly messy, and she was wearing a grey sweater and jeans, and her blue eyes looked… sad. Yet, she was smiling broadly- the combination was unsettling. Her monkey-like tail, meanwhile, was waving from side to side frenetically, as if it had a mind of its own.

And weirdest of all: she was wearing a pink leather collar.
With spikes. And a little tinker bell on it.

-“…Umm… CC… are you feeling OK?”
-“Yeah!" The Chris-Chris very happy!!”
-“And why are you talking about yourself in the third person?” Wil asked, unconvinced.
-“What Willie-boy ask? Chris-Chris always talk like this.”
-“No you didn’t. You used to sound normal. Chrissy- has anything happened to you?”
-“NO!” she suddenly snapped. “No! The Chris-Chris is alright!”
Wil then noticed something else:
She was carrying a butcher’s knife!
-“Um, CC- what’s that for?” he asked, pointing at the knife.
-“Umm, what?” she asked, quickly trying to hide it behind her back.
-“The butcher’s knife!” Wil insisted.
-“Oh. This?” she said, bringing it out. “This just toy.”
-“Knifes are not toys” Wil said, concerned. Here, let me take-“
-“NO!!” she snapped again. “Knife Chris-Chris’!! No one take away!!” She stood up, holding the knife protectively.
-“Whoa! Okay, Okay, I meant nothing by that” Wil said, taking a step back.
-“You want to take Chris-Chris’ knife away! Why everyone want to take Chris-Chris’ knife away??” she said, sounding almost as if about to cry.
-“CC, I-”
But he didn’t get the chance to finish. CC sprang away, and ran into the RPGC building.

Wil stood in place, watching her run away. “Oh, Chrissy… what happened to you?” he mumbled.
-“Don’t you know?” a voice said from behind him.
Turning around quickly, Wil saw a figure in a futuristic kind of full-body armor, blue in color, standing not far away. The look was unfamiliar, but he recognized the voice:
-“Manus Dei?” he asked.
The figure nodded, then walked closer to him.

-You know what happened to CC? Tell me!”
-“Many things, apparently” Manus said, stopping by his side. “But the worst was, from what I know, that Orakio broke up with her.”
-“What?” Oh no” Wil lamented. “I was afraid something like that was going to happen… they are both too young, to truly deal with something like a serious relationship.”
-“Then why didn’t you do something?” Manus said, in a serious tone.
-“Me?” Wil said, surprised.
-“Everybody knows that you are CC’s closest friend in RPGC.”
-“I… haven’t been around RPGC in a while” Wil responded.
-“Where were you?” Manus insisted. “We haven’t seen you since the Naar invasion.”
-“I…” Wil trailed off. What was he going to tell Manus? That he’d been feeling sorry for himself? So sorry that he’d wandered away, all the way into the Marvel Multiverse?
-“I was busy” he then said, defensively. “What about you? Have you given CC any support?”
-“Me?” Manus said, taken off guard.
-“Yeah, you” Wil insisted. “I know that you care a lot for Cc, and that she considers you a friend, too.”
-“I… was away as well. I just returned from the Planet Extropia, where I’ve been very busy. And I came back to RPGC precisely to check on CC.”
-“Well, then” Wil said, “Let’s stop standing here and go talk to her.”
The young man nodded, and started walking towards the Headquarters, followed by Wil.

Wil silently sighed. So far, it wasn’t turning out to be a very good Xmas…

MEANWHILE, ELSEWHERE IN THE MULTIVERSE:

“…aaaaaaaAAAAAAHHHH!!!” Ken’s screaming got louder as he came closer to the ground-

-and fell into a large snow mound. SPLAT!

Fortunately, it cushioned his fall.

Gasp! Sputter! he gasped, as he climbed out, all wet with snow.
-“Koff what happened? Where am I??” he said aloud.

He stood up, and looked around.

He was in a dark, snow-covered forest. The only sound around him was the howl of the wind.

-What is this place? How did I get here? Is this a dream?? he thought.

But it felt too real to be a dream.

He guessed that someone had magically turned the door at his girlfriend’s house into a space portal, and transported him to- wherever he was.

Probably the doing of one of RPGC’s enemies.

-DAMMIT! he cursed aloud. Why did this have to happen NOW? Just when he was going to ask the love of his life to live with him? Was that a coincidence, or intentional?

He didn’t care. When he found who was responsible, he was going to make him pay for it!

He checked his equipment. Most of it was at hand, except for his leather jacket, which he had left at home. He wasn’t expecting trouble today, but he always kept things like knifes at hand, just in case.

He wasn’t terribly worried about his situation; he was a veteran of RPGC, and knew he could take care of himself.

Assuming the odds weren’t too bad…

RPGC, he thought. Did this happen to him because of his affiliation to the team? Or was it some old enemy, maybe even one he didn’t even remember?

Either way, this kind of thing had to stop. He was going to dedicate himself to his girlfriend, now. No time to go gallivanting across the universe every time some dick feels like screwing around other people.

That was something he had to remember to do, too:

Tell RPGC that he was quitting.

Ken then pulled out his special shades, put them out, picked up a random direction in the dark, maze-like forest, and started walking…

NEXT: Even more RPGC people show up! And just where is Ken??

(Again, sorry about the delay, people. But the good news is, I now have a few free days until my next project, I’ll take the opportunity to write up even more stuff!)

Nice chapter. yes, a very nice addition. but again, a very sadder and serious tone for this year. I mean, Wil thinking about retiring?

yay! Chris-chris chris! pounces Wil :3

nice update. The suspense is building. tail moving back and forth

Nice job Wil, its always worth reading :slight_smile: