The RPG Multiverse

Excellent work, HS!! :biggrin:

Anybody else who wants to include his or her favorite game world here is welcome to do so, as well. Just remember to provide details such as: the name of the world (if given) the date it takes place in (mostly for games set in Earth’s universe), the reasons why dimensional travelers would want to go there (or avoid it), any peculiar magical effects, and the name of the game it’s from. :slight_smile:

Ok, now back to working on the Timeline!

I wonder if Disgaea has enough games to count as its own dimension yet?

Oh also there is the Xenosaga/ Xenogears Universe… though kinda hard to say which was first or if aside from a few key simularities even connected. :stuck_out_tongue:

Would you call Termina a different dimension? I thought Link got there riding (though I’ve stopped short of going to the moon, so I may be missing sekkrit game ending details).

Cait: I would just LOVE to include Disgaea. Just the afterlife implications alone would be a riot! Unfortunately, I can’t seem to find a cheap copy of any of the games (I’m under a strict “only below 20$” video game budget currently) so I’ve never been able to play them. I plan to research it later, but, if anyone who knows the game wants to do an entry here now, go for it!!

Both Xenosaga and Xenogears take place on the Earth Universe, just faaaaar in the future. They WERE originally supposed to be the same series, but copyrights probably prevent it. That of course, will not stop ME from putting them in the same universe. :wink: Expect to see them in the Timeline.

Rigmarole: I will admit that Majora’s Mask is one of the ones I have never played. But from what I know of it, it is set in another dimension, you apparently get teleported there when you first encounter the Skull Kid right at the start.
Every source I have come across, including Wikipedia, lists it as a different dimension, accidently created by the goddesses.

Plus considering that in Termina the moon has a very evil face, that is never seen in Hyrule. And is stuck in a time loop until the world is saved. Makes it seem very like it is another dimension.

Of course I could be completely mistaken.

also what about one shot RPG games like Threads of Fate, Vagrant story, Lost magic, and Legend of Dragoon?

Also would be nice to add Shining Force, or Gargoyles Quest.

and would Super Robot Taisen count? I mean that game is a cross over in itself. XP

Cait: EVERY RPG video game is part of this multiverse. I just focused on game series first because they’re better known and I can cover more territory that way. But yes, even the most obscure, one-shot RPG will be in there somewhere. My Timeline already includes several such examples (that’s why it isn’t finished yet- I’m doing a LOT of research for it!)

heh sorry just trying to think of every possible game to include. ^^;

Vagrant Story takes place in the same universe as FF XII and the FF T games.

Majora’s Mask does take place in an alternate dimension as evident by Link and Epona vanishing from Termina at the end of the game. Plus he doesn’t ride there to begin with so much as he follows the Skull Kid (who’s riding Epona at the time) down the proverbial rabbit hole (literal too).

Disgaea is also part of the same set of universes though I’m not to certain about this though since I’ve only played through 1 (though I do recall hearing something on this during my playthru), but the big clue is with all the different overlords of different netherworlds (also certain characters from other games up to Rhapsody make appearances throughout implying a shared dimension).

My research indicates that Disgaea is (canonically) connected to all the games made by Nippon Ichi, such as Phantom Brave and La Pucelle Tactics. Or so the article on Makai Kingdom that I read on a Wiki says. Apparently, there’s a whole network of “netherworlds” (read: hells) and Disgaea’s is just one of them. Interesting (and funny!) stuff. :wink:

That’s why I’m saying Nintendo should release it for VC. It’s been a long 6 years since I played it. Besides, Alice was dreaming!
Thanks for the correction.

OK, change in plans. After doing a LOT of RPG research in Wikipedia, I’ve realized that… there are FAR more games in existence than I expected. Too many to reserach them all. And anyway, if I’m going to be writing about them I really should stick to games I know well, right?

And that led me to do this: a list of all the RPG games I’ve ever played! Why? Well, my memory isn’t perfect, I need to jog it from time to time (I made the list with help from Wikipedia’s Chronology of Console RPGs articles). Besides, I’ve always wondered how many games (not counting non-RPGs) I’ve played, including those that I never finished for some reason (usually because I rented them rather than buy them.) Plus, this list will give you guys an idea of what I have NOT played, so you can contribute info on those games if you want to help me. :slight_smile:

Notes:
-The list is in no particular order
-an asterisk (*) indicates games I haven’t completed

1- Beyond the Beyond *
2- Chrono Trigger
3- Suikoden
4- Revelations: Persona
5- Super Mario RPG
6- Wild Arms
7- Breath of Fire III
8- Chocobo’s Mysterious Dungeon 2 *
9- Final Fantasy IV
10- Final Fantasy VII
11- Final Fantasy Tactics
12- Grandia
13- Granstream Saga, The *
14- RPG Maker
15- SaGa Frontier
16- Tales of Destiny
17- Final Fantasy V
18- Legend of Legaia
19- Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
20- Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
21- Pokémon Yellow
22- Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure
23- Star Ocean: The Second Story
24- Suikoden II
25- Thousand Arms
26- Vandal Hearts
27- Xenogears
28- Chrono Cross
29- Final Fantasy VI *
30- Final Fantasy VIII
31- Pokémon Silver
32- SaGa Frontier II *
33- Saiyuki: Journey West
34- Wild Arms 2
35- Breath of Fire IV
36- Final Fantasy IX
37- Final Fantasy X
38- Grandia II
39- Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
40- Golden Sun
41- Golden Sun: The Lost Age
42- Kingdom Hearts
43- Pokémon Ruby *
44- Wild Arms 3
45- Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht
46- Disgaea: Hour of Darkness *
47- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance *
48- Final Fantasy X-2
49- Wild Arms: Alter Code F *
50- Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
51- Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
52- Kingdom Hearts II
53- Tales of Legendia
54- Wild ARMs 4 *
55- Wild ARMs 5
56- Final Fantasy XII

So yeah, I’ll stick to writing about these games for now… but that still leaves plenty of stuff! :slight_smile: