The Revolution Controller

Super Smash Bros. >>>>>>>> All other fighters.

A yellow rat humps a green dinosaur, after which a giant monkey beats them with a mallet.

What was your first clue?

Good one, I’m still wiping the tears from that joke! lol

Actually, the yellow rat humping the green dinosaur was the first clue. lol

Something new ≠ Something good

Off topic, but I’m sure you’re aware that you can be a fan of “serious fighters” and still like Smash Bros, right? What’s more, your liking of Smash Bros isn’t going to make any of the rest of us think you’re less of a man, nor will we question the size of your mighty fighting-game-penis. Quite the contrary, I’m presently on the look out for a team of sherpas who will help my climb your massive fighting-game-penis. Then, and only then, will we know the mysteries of what exists on the other side.

Joking aside, I simply think that someone can be a serious gamer, enjoy serious games, even take a genre seriously, and still enjoy the in-jokes that the industry makes that that genre’s expense. I’m a huge schmup fan, but I love Parodius.

Back on topic, I’m not making any judgments on the NREV controller until it comes out. I thought that the GCN controller looked goofy until I played with it.

Sat- I honestly haven’t laughed that hard in a long time.

They have to have two different controllers if they want thrid party games…

I’d like to play Star Wars Jedi Knights using this controller though.

Oh, dear. This worries me.

I give them credit for pushing the paradigm. A different controller opens up different avenues for interface design, which is also good. The other consoles won’t be able to as easily clone some of what would be standard fare on the Revolution, as what they can do with their basic controller the others would have to sell peripherals for.

There’s also probably the possibility that some DS games will make a jump to the Revolution, or that (gasp) the DS may one day be made compatible with the Revolution itself, so that you could interface them to do…something.

Anyway, Wario Ware with a motion sensor controller, anyone?

I’m all for this. I’d love an excuse to own more than one console.

I am so sigging this./

And nowYou can test the controller:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/mousedown/revo.swf

I love SSBM.

And I saw a video of what they want to do with the NREV controller and I have to say it is ambitious. I just can’t understand how it works or how it will work. However, if it does work, it could indeed revolutionize games as we know it. If.

I personally hated it. The prohiminence of the “A” button made certain games good, but it didn’t really enhance them.

Then again, I’m the guy that likes arcade joysticks over everything in the universe, so…

EDIT : SSB:M has recognized tournaments, less than certain other games, but recognized nonetheless. It gets the fighter treatment (nerds arguing about tiers and broken characters), in addition to being fun to play and introducing people to the fighter genre. It’s a fighter, Iz, don’t stroke your fighting-game-penis in our faces.

The Revolution Controller Design Philosophy<br>So why has Nintendo decided to brazenly break with tradition and the conventions of every other modern console in creating the Revolution controller? According to Mr. Miyamoto, it was part of a conscious decision to make something simple and straightforward enough to reach out to a new audience. “We want a system that takes advantage of new technology for something that anyone, regardless of age or gender, can pick up and play. [Something with a] gameplay style that people who have never played games can pick up and not be intimidated by. We wanted a controller that somebody’s mother will look at and not be afraid of.”
very interesting.