THE POD PEOPLE ARE HERE!

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/2c21c0f98d07b010vgnvcm1000004eecbccdrcrd.html

…well, maybe not. Still sounds pretty interesting, though.

I think it’s bacteria or fungus from a bag of sandwiches astronauts threw away.

Apparently one of the theories is that the meteor hit a bat on the way down.

This theory amuses me greatly.

Why did they wait 5 years to start researching this stuff? Did they forget about it for a few years or something? Pardon my un-knowledge of the scientific process, but it seems like this is something you’d wanna research quickly, in case it dies or something.

That’s the way science works, slowly or not at all, unless there’s money or immidiate fame involved. They’ve already researched it, or they wouldn’t have bothered to tell the public audience, nor would they hadn’t it been something exciting like aliens or blood.

Is un-knowledge even a real word?

No DNA and those “things” are able to reproduce in a temperature above 300°C? Fascinating.
I wish that other scientists would confirm what Louis and Kumar suggest.
Sheffield University’s Milton Wainwright seems somewhat skeptical of their findings. But if the discovery of “microbial ET” is for real, this could be huge.
I wonder what my friends from Discovery Institute would say about that :wink:

What, a fifty-ton bat?

Clearly, they hit BATMAN.

This sounds like quackery to me. They need to give more details.

Its probably just fungus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_rain_in_Kerala

I can’t help but notice that one of the current headlines on the site is “Can tinfoil hats really prevent the government from reading your thoughts?” Now, it’s probably meant as more a joke than anything, and <i>Popular Science</i> had a fairly decent reputation to my understanding (I’ve only ever read one issue, mind). Still, you might want to knock back a few packets of salt before reading any one of their articles, judging this one.

English is a living language, dear.

I always thought that they’d found at least remenents of life in craters on Mars… ?
Or am I totally screwed in thinking that?

Ninten:cool:

You’re totally screwed in thinking that. We have no evidence (solid evidence, not speculation, not nebulous hints, etc.) for extraterrestrial life

They’ve at best found indications that there might have been life there sometime in the distant past. But no remnants, no.