The plot thickens

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-5738259,00.html

According to Libby, Cheney says Bush authorized him to leak Plame’s name to the press. Discuss.

This reminds me of a quote from the Hitchhiker radio series, in which Zaphod, after experiencing the Total Perspective Vortex, has now had proof that he is “the most important person in the universe, something that he’d previously merely suspected.”

FATALITY.

Tch, tch, tch.

What is there to discuss? We haven’t the grounds to debate its truth, not beyond personal opinions, and while we could discuss what concequences it should have, we all know that it more than likely won’t have any; not as long as there’s no one who’d have any interest in ousting anyone.

Well, even if we can’t “know” anything for certain, there are still matters of fact which we can and must judge to be either true or false or somewhere in between just to keep on living. Seeing as how the entire Bush administration has lied repeatedly about almost everything it does, I’m almost positive that the leaking of Valerie Plame’s identity was a malicious act to try to discredit Joseph Wilson. I’m actually suprised that Bush had the initiative to do that himself, it seems like something Cheney or Rove would mastermind.

Wasn’t this story recalled later?

I don’t think it was retracted. I saw it in the NYT and another canadian paper and the white house isn’t commenting on it. Later on, Gonzales said that that if the pres felt like doing this, he was legally authorized. Although in the current circumstances, that would be bizarre.

I think its just amazing to see any backpedaling on part of the WH in the context of this investigation, if only because of the original denial, and not even because of the backpedaling that was done on the claim to fire anyone involved.