The Passion

A movie about the last 12 hours of christ, all in the latin language without subtitles, it’s coming out in 2004, I’m going to see it no doubt. I don’t think there is a main site for it yet but here is a pretty good site with some information on it, anyone else here about this movie though?

Secular religious movies never seem to cut it in my tastes, personally.

THIS POST WAS DELETED BY A GAMEFAQ’s MODERATOR

Yes, I did here about this movie. Quite a while ago, actually.

It sounds like a strange movie, and strange is good, so maybe I’ll watch it. I like to understand what people say though, and I don’t understand Latin.
It’ll most likely be subtitled when, at least if it is, aired in Norway.

And no, I haven’t heard about it. But I have barely heard about any movies.

I had heard about it (mostly because there was that one slow news week when the media was getting all up in arms over it). I did not realize that it was going to be in Latin without subtitles. How did you learn that information, Exo?

I’ve heard about it, but nothing good. I’m interested, but I’d like to find some less biased information about it (I couldn’t find anything worthwhile in the link). Mainly, I don’t have much optimism for the project though, but I can’t remember any details.

Originally posted by Megaman984
I had heard about it (mostly because there was that one slow news week when the media was getting all up in arms over it). I did not realize that it was going to be in Latin without subtitles. How did you learn that information, Exo?

CNN(The channle) my good friend.

I too heard of how it’s raising contraversy.

I believe Mel Gibson is attached to this project as the director or something.

I’m not usually interested in religious things, but that movie doesn’t sound that bad.

Actually, I believe that the dialogue will be in Aramaic as well as Latin, since that was the native tongue of Jesus Christ.

I may go to see it. What intrigues me is that Satan is played by a woman.

Fitting, when you think about some women though…

Satan a woman? It’s Bedazzled all over again!

Actually I thought that Satan was almost always referred to as a he, even God was supposed to be more asexual.

Well Satan was originally an angel named Lucifer, and I don’t believe angels are truly male or female either. Unfortunately, I was never actually taught about that.

Yeah, Satan’s basically a he in the same way that god is…

The reason it’s stirring up controversy stems from its reactionary take on the Passion. The Passion is actually a name for plays usually done in medieval times centred around Christ’s last hours (hence the term passion week). These plays were dramatic but more importantly were anti-semitic. They portrayed the Jews as wholesale betrayers whose votes for Barrabas were bought. After Vatican 2, when the Roman Catholic Church became very liberal, some guidelines for avoiding that sort of anti-semitism were set up; one of which was to never portray those who voted to free Barrabas as a big mob of jews, which is what Mel’s doing. Mel’s father is a major reactionary Catholic and anti-semitic, and while Mel himself doesn’t share all of his father’s views, he is more of a bible-based conservative and wants to be as “accurate” as possible, and has no concern for what the church thinks.