The "other" SC

I’m speaking of Star Control, the game which set the standard for the whole space combat genre. It was probably the very first one-on-one competitive game I ever played… I used to spend hours playing it with my best friend in elementary school.

Anyway, I was trying to search out some ahem illegal copies of the game to download, when I came across something even more spectacular than the first SC. That is, SC2, which I had never played before. The makers of the game released the source code awhile back, and some dedicated programmers decided to port it to different systems. It’s actually a port of the 3DO version of the game, which I think was slightly improved from the PC version.

It’s a really awesome game. There’s a cool story mode, but the meat of the game is the combat. It’s just so well balanced, you have to play it to fully grasp how great it is.

Give in to your new overlords, the <a href=“http://sc2.sourceforge.net/”>Ur-Quan Masters</a>.

Slylandro: We have an egalitarian society here. All are equal. Of course, that doesn’t stop some people from being stupid fools or jerks.

Edit: And the original PC and the that version are somewhat different (I believe there’s an option for the original PC settings on it somewhere)

Worships

I still own a 3DO, in the hope that one day I may find a shop that sells game for it. Anyone remember Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels? Ahh, good times…

Old but cool.
Even if it has been posted once before.