The Occupation of Iraq?

I thought we weren’t going to occupy Iraq…if so, then why are we asking the United Nations to approve our Iraq occupation plan?

Originally posted by Sorcerer
I thought we weren’t going to occupy Iraq…if so, then why are we asking the United Nations to approve our Iraq occupation plan?

I know that we have long occupation plans for Iraq. I have no clue why we are going to the UN though. Heck, my unit is most likely doing highway patrol type things in Iraq right now.:frowning: Fuck, man I wish I was there right now. It is so depressing.

I think the idea is to prevent total diplomatic isolation while at the same time maintaining just about complete control over Iraq.

To them, it’s like replacing one dictator with another, and they’re not completely wrong on that.

If we dont occupy them, we cant have their oil. the Government theyre setting up for themselves doesn’t like us any more than Saddam did.

Originally posted by Sorcerer

It was a lie, of course. If not a lie then an intended misimpression.

It’s called diplomacy. You use it to hide the fact you’re in this only for your own gain.

I imagine the US will have to occupy Iraq for a long time, as they’ve said they cannot accept an Islamic Government; be it legally elected or not. And sadly for the Americans the Islamic alternative seems to be the most popular in Iraq right now.