The Movies of 2009

My guess to this one is that expendable mooks/stormtroopers are going to add another notch to their ever-dwindling numbers.

My personal “will go see” list is probably Monsters & Aliens, Wolverine and Transformers 2 (Oh C’mon, the first movie was all about huge robots trashing around in a city! Too bad it was all a part of the last quarter!) Maybe G.I Joe just to see if my prediction goes right.

Reviewing Idaho’s penal code (hehe, penal), that’s wrong. 18-6101 defines the general age of consent as 18. 18-1508 and 18-1508A allow you to have sex with 16 and 17 year-olds so long as you are not more than 5 year older than the minor, so 21 and 22 respectively. There’s nothing about 14 being the age of consent. West Virginia has the general AoC at 16 like Georgia.

Speaking of the new, rebooted “Trek”, check out this Youtube review (of the trailer, natch) done by somebody called Confused Matthew. It’s hilarious, because he’s a real Trek fan (unlike me) and he’s pissed that it looks like they’re focusing on the action over the characters (though even he admits that trailers can and DO lie sometimes- “Bridge to Terabithia” anybody?) There are also plenty of other interesting movie reviews in his site, particularly a deconstruction of the Star Wars prequels, which caught plot holes even I missed. Fun stuff! :wink:

Confused Matthew

I’m actually looking forward to the new Star trek movie. I liked that scene where Kirk is on his motorcycle at looking at the giant futuristic academy.

Besides, its gotta be better than all the other Trek movies. They don’t concentrate on characters at all, and barely have any emotional power at all.

Fixed.

The very fact they picked Sylar from Heroes to play Spock was enough to make me doubt about Star Trek’s potential (I hate heroes violently). That combined with the general feel that the trailer was directed at the old WB watching crowd horrified me. I can’t put my finger as to what disturbed me so much. At the same time it looked like it had potential, it had something that pointed to a really stupid and cliche plot.

-Night At the Museum 2: I’ll probably see it because I really liked the first one, but I’m expecting it to be largely a disappointing rehash.

-G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra: Unless I hear beforehand that it’s horrible, I’ll go see it. I loved the cartoon as a kid, so I’ll at least give it a chance. It might work.

• Dorian Gray: Weird, maybe, if I’m in the mood for a movie and nothing else seems interesting.

• Sherlock Holmes: I saw a preview for it, it looked like a James Bond style action flick, no thanks.

-Nottingham: Robin Hood with Russell Crowe playing both hero and villain. …no…

-Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen: The first one didn’t suck, so I’ll check out the second. MAKE IT ABOUT THE ROBOTS THIS TIME! THE PEOPLE ANNOY ME!

-Avatar: um… I have no opinion, seems too odd at this point.

-Angels & Demons: Wasn’t interested in the first, less interested in the second.

-X-Men Origins: Wolverine: The travesty that was X-3 annoys me, but I’m enough of a comic book fan that I’ll go see this.

-Star Trek: I’ll probably go see it, but I’m expecting it to be “meh”

Honestly, this doesn’t seem like a particularly epic summer for movies. Some seem good, but it isn’t like some years where it seems like something appealing is coming out every two weeks.

Here’s the first review of the Star Trek Movie I’ve seen (doesn’t have any real spoilers): http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=20860

Sin: I used to like Heroes, despite the fact it featured a brain-stealing serial killer (and a cheerleader who just couldn’t stop getting herself hurt just so we could watch her regenerate) but my interest has gradually diminished in the last two seasons, in fact I ignored most of Season Three and now only casually check to see how things are going. The writing went from intriguing to blatantly manipulative very, very fast. :frowning:

Oh, one movie I missed mentioning above is Pixar’s UP, their latest CGI project. It doesn’t sound THAT interesting (An old man attaches balloons to his house so he can go see the world) but then again neither did Cars or Ratatouille. I’ll see it, but I expect it may disappoint. They can’t keep cranking out blockbusters forever, right?

lmao, Pixar kills everyone

I’m kind of surprised that I haven’t seen Fast and Furious being mentioned here. It had the biggest April opening ever, I believe - and it’s signlaed that the summer season has come to our business earlier than expected. Fast and Furious made so much money, in fact, that it beat out even optimistic predictions.

This is a much different business than it was two decades ago - I don’t think the movie producers understand how the medium has changed drastically against this current business model of putting all these movies out at the same time. But anyway…I’ll give my two cents:

Star Trek: I believe it’s PG-13 - if so, it’ll have a strong 70 million dollar opening, but then it’ll play second fiddle to Terminator which will open a week later. The wisest decision would have been to frontload the movie to late April, when it could have decimated Fast and Furious and Obsessed. On May 8th, it’s sandwiched between Wolverine and Terminator. Plus, the series doesn’t really resonate with the most important 18-35 audience. It can pull a coup, but this is just my assertion…

Terminator will stay strong in the top ten until Transformers 2. Expect Pirates of the Carribbean 2 numbers. The only movie that might rival or surpass it’s opening before Transformers 2 is Night at the Museum 2 - unlike Star Trek, already has a tapped audience that will respond. All they need is the advertising and marketing blitz.

Ice Age will make a modest amount of money (40 to 60 million opening - eventually it’ll cross 100) and Harry Potter will break a record.

The big surprise? All those other movies that have been mentioned will be largely irrelevant. Biggest successes and memorable films of the Summer 2009: Harry Potter, Transformers 2, Terminator, in that order. Two out of the three will cross 150 million in the course of a month. The rest will do modest to horrible - the oversaturation of the market at this time of the year will be too much for them.

Some movies make tonnes of cash in spite of being pretty fucking bad. I think most people here would agree it’s not worth bringing up.

It’s my business - it’s sort of a habit. Besides, that’s not what I was saying.

All of those movies I mentioned as making the most amount of cash are probably going to be good. Terminator, Transfomers 2, Harry Potter - if the buzz is bad people will stay away. My point wasn’t that the bad movies are going to make a lot of cash - contrary to popular belief, you can’t just make a bad movie, put the number 2 and expect it to make a load of cash. The market does respond to quality, even if it’s only the second half the equation.

And I can’t really say I’m going to be seeing any of those movies. The longer you stay involved in the business the less “magical” it seems - I might find time to see Terminator and Transformers 2, maybe.

What I meant was the people here don’t necessarily like the same movies as the people who spend money on Fast and Furious.

Inglourious Basterds.

there are many people that will go to see whatever horrible movie just to see what atrocities have been done to the object of their fanboy/girlism.

Pixar’s easily got my custom for the next five years. It’s actually why I go to movies based on a certain reviewer: I’m all like “French rats wtfstereotype?” and he’s like “5 stars already” and then I burst from all the laughter.

Hardly a Blockbuster, but I saw I Love You, Man. Completely silly, but it was decently funny. Good use of Lou Ferrigno, or whoever that guy is.

I’m jazzed about Star Trek. The trailer looks good, but I read a few reviews from fans in Austin that got surprised with a complete showing of the movie when they went to see The Wrath of Kahn at a special screening. The film “burned up” at about five minutes in, lights went off, came back on a few minutes later with Leonard Nemoy at the front of the theater to deliver the good news. And stay to watch it. Reviews were all positive. Not unreservedly show. And they were all from fanboys, I guess. Use your magical internet powers to find what I’m talking about.

Something that was missed:

Boondock Saints: All Saints Day

Writer/Director is the same, All the cast is returning (except Willem Defoe).

I am really excited about this one, and I don’t even watch movies very much.

Really? I could’ve sworn it was Idaho. One state is 14. . .

EDIT: Iowa, Indiana, and Arkansas. I knew it started with an I. All of those could have creepy puns. Iowa could have a creepy fanfic involving Kirk, if we want to bring Star Trek into this.

That’s what you will learn in Law School, Arac.

How to research various states’ age of consent laws.