The meaning of Kamehameha

I discovered it today while doing some research on the history of Surf. It quickly went on Hawaian history and then I found an Hawaian King by the name of Kamehameha I, the Great. He unified a lot of tribes and was thus known as one of the most powerful hawaian kings ever.

Just think of this: Master Rochi/Kame, in the beggining of DB, has more hawaian references than oriental ones. He lives in an ilsnad in the south-southeastern part of the world, surfes on a turtle that looks like those who dwell on Hawaii and his clothes are sure hawaian too.

Conclusion: Kamehameha might be a reference to said King, and not “Tortoise’s Explosive Blast” in japanese like some people say.

Who the fuck suggested it was super tortorise blast? I’ve always taken it to reference the king. Besides, DBZ sucks.

Originally posted by Silhouette
Who the fuck suggested it was super tortorise blast? I’ve always taken it to reference the king. Besides, DBZ sucks.

A lot of shrines did >_<

And I think DBZ and DBGT sucked, but DB was kinda OK.

Seriously? I thought DB was the worst.

Originally posted by Izlude
Seriously? I thought DB was the worst.

It had more plot than Z and GT.

Kame(turtle) hame(destruction) ha(wave).
I kinda think both ar correct. Besides, this is info my bored ass found when I was 9.

So that’s what it meant. Now that I think of it, I’m surprised they left the original names when translating.

So am I. But it would be weird for a someone who knows jap to see Goku say “I have to use the Turtle Destruction Wave wave!” I think they have said kamehameha wave before, so thats where that little bit came from :stuck_out_tongue:

Bah.

c.FP owns your ass.

Originally posted by Silhouette
Besides, DBZ sucks.

No, it does not. Granted, there’s a lot of stuff that’s better, but that doesn’t mean that DBZ is a pile of crap. Besides, it was pillaged and ruined forever by FUNimation; it’s there fault!

And nice job there, Ren. I did know about the King Kamehameha connection for a LONG time, though.

Originally posted by Crotanks
So am I. But it would be weird for a someone who knows jap to see Goku say “I have to use the Turtle Destruction Wave wave!” I think they have said kamehameha wave before, so thats where that little bit came from :stuck_out_tongue:

Good point.

Dubbers seem to keep the names of techs that are way too complicated. Like Kenshin’s final Battou technique (No way in hell I can type the name in Jap)

not to offend any dbz fans, but if the series was an rpg, it would consist entirely of fetch quests…

Nah. Thats your opinion. If FUNi had any brains, they would have let Bandai do the games…but no. They had to use some company that doesn’t know what the hell they’re doing. Budokai is a perfect example of this.

Anyway, yeah dubbers don’t really try to look up the meaning of anything last I checked.

The main highway on Oahu is called the Kamehameha Highway.

(Well, the Interstate highway is also on Oahu for some reason. Look at me, I can drive from Hawaii to nowhere on this highway!)

Originally posted by Lord Zhou Yu
not to offend any dbz fans, but if the series was an rpg, it would consist entirely of fetch quests…

It became RPG. Some two or three SNES games. I only played the legend of the super sayan. Man it sucks ass…

i meant the tv series itself, unless you were also referring to that…

Yes you dope. The only thing that wasn’t turned into an RPG was GT.