The Matrix: Social/Political Satire?

Originally posted by Pierson
Perc: Aristotelian metaphysics?

The Greek philosopher Aristotle conceived that the universe functioned as follows (in short): an all-powerful entity, whom he called the Prime Mover (also known by its Latin name, Primum Mobile), basically made all decisions about what was going to happen to everything in the universe. It then effected the force or the chain of forces which ultimately set everything into motion or being. Thus, there is no fate or free will in the Aristotelian system; everything that will come to pass has been already predetermined by the Prime Mover.

The Matrix, I have decided, is a metaphor of the Aristotelian universe, albeit an imperfect one. The CPU of the central computer (or equivalent) basically serves as the Prime Mover, controlling what happens in the universe of the Matrix. It then effects what it has decided through its agents (namely Agent Smith). Of course, the CPU, unlike Aristotle’s Prime Mover, has been failing to control everything in the Matrix. One might attribute this to some fallacy or error in the Aristotelian system.

One could then also suppose the Matrix is also an allegory for two opposing philosophies about fate and free will.

One last note: whilst the word matrix undoubtedly foremost carries mathematical connotations in the film, I was interested to note that in Mediaeval Latin, the word meant the institution of the church, which controlled, or rather tried to control, the beliefs of others.

And Pierson, I should like to hear your thoughts on how the Matrix exemplifies Gnosticism.

Originally posted by Sir Percival
One last note: whilst the word matrix undoubtedly foremost carries mathematical connotations in the film, I was interested to note that in Mediaeval Latin, the word meant the institution of the church, which controlled, or rather tried to control, the beliefs of others.

That very well may be why they chose it, come to think of it: The humans are trying to control the humans, and the humans are breaking free.

Originally posted by Sir Percival
And Pierson, I should like to hear your thoughts on how the Matrix exemplifies Gnosticism.

Gnostic (from Greek word ‘knowledge’) Christianity was an outlawed sect way back when that believed that to get into Heaven (Zion, which is another biblcal reference) you had to have a certain knowledge (that the Matrix existed) that jesus only taught in private (the oracle maybe?). Also, when it was ‘fashionable’, this sect was punished as heretics (the machines not wanting people to know they lived in the matrix) and killed by Church officials (Agents).

An even smaller sect of these people believed that God (the machines) was inherently cruel, and wanted to stop people aquiring this knowledge (keeping people in the matrix under his rule).

I’m not saying it fits as well as Sorcs or yours, but it’s there if you look at it.

Um…no.

Well, I guess you are entitled to your own opinion, but the matrix reloaded seemed to me to just SCREAM religious, not political symbolism.

Neo - If they make one more reference to Neo being Jesus, I’m gonna die.

The Architect - God

The Matrix - Some kinda fucked up Eden.

The real world - what it must have looked like when humanity was banned from eden.

My guess is that this more closely matches the intentions of the writers, because they try to make it as blatantly obvious as possible - but I guess you can still interpret it multiple ways.

Originally posted by Jing
[b]One - neO

See? You move the O to the end. It’s annoying.

Digital minds? Isn’t it supposed to be more like connecting to the Matrix and everything you experience there is simulated? Although, of course, “you mind makes it real”.

[spoiler]I know, I saw that in the POD video.

I don’t know, supposedly you plug your own mind into the Matrix and you manifest yourself in the digital reality. How the damn thing really works, nobody knows.[/spoiler]

I haven’t seen the Matrix, but I’ve heard a little about it. I know that ‘waking up’ from being trapped in the Matrix is a major theme. In that, it sounds more like Platonic than Aristotelian philosophy to me ( e.g. read his Allegory of the Cave ). I have other doubts, too. Aristotle taught that there was a Prime Mover - are you certain he specified that the Prime Mover had predetermined how the future would play out? If the Matrix represents the medieval Church as you’ve speculated, it would be rather ironic that the Church’s theologians of the time, like Thomas Aquinas, are considered Aristotelians. Further, they never taught predestination - anyway, if Aristotle’s Prime Mover really did predestine everything, that’s different than a CPU that actively controls everything. You said the Aristotelian metaphor was imperfect; would a Platonic metaphor be better? I would have to see the movie, before drawing my own conclusions.

Xwing1056

I don’t like The Matrix- I’m still going to see the third one. I must see the ending.

If you mean Revolutions, it’s Nov 5th in the US.

Originally posted by Pierson
If you mean Revolutions, it’s Nov 5th in the US.

No. By “the third one” I meant fucking Forrest Gump. -_-

And that is why I never go on chat.

Since you obviously didn’t know the title of the film, but you still used sascasm, you can shut right the hell up.

How was it obvious that I didn’t know the name of the film? Because I didn’t state the name?

When I refer to trilogys (especially unremarkable ones like this) I refer to them by their number.

What does it matter if he knew the title of the third movie or not?

'Cause of needless sarcasm. I was just giving you the date of the release, not insulting your intelligence.

Sarcasm is never needless.

The Matrix rules!! I like how it gets all philosophical when Neo and the old guy are talking about man needing machines and how the machines need man.