The Great Hunt For The Mongolian Death Worm

news article

Yup, that’s right. mongolian death worm. apparently it spits corrosive acid, can electrocute people, and can grow up to 5 feet. It’s a mysterious creature, in that it’s never been captured or photographed. But apparently Russian scientists have done research on it… or something.

I find this really interesting, and I hope they find it, so I can see what it looks like.

More links:

the blog

the organization that is sending the people to their doom

I’ve read about that before. It’s mighty interesting. Since there’s so many sightings I can’t <i>imagine</i> why it hasn’t been photographed yet.

Rumours about the beast include a geologist poking the sand before dropping dead - apparently having been electrocuted.

That’s shocking.

Mongolian Death Worm

Sounds like a new computer virus.
Seriously though, it is fascinating. 5 feet worm! I hope they find it.

Yeah its a real charge

It sounds revolting…

That worm will put you on “ice”

Sounds to me like a land eel or possibly Caceilian (tho not probable) that has evolved Electrodes similar to the Electric Eel, as well as toxin glands that produce acids similar to that of the Bombedire Beetle. Or it could be a bunch of bs.

Course, people once thought that about the Giant squid.:slight_smile:

~Blazer~

Edit: In hindsight, I think it would be more likely to be one of the ground dwelling members of the Polychaeta, the clamworms, or in this case, lugworms. Not really an earthworm, but in the same Phylum.

Some Marine Polychaetes

are there worms that can survive in desert heats like that anyways?

Wouldn’t really surprise me since people find new species every day, some of which was thought to be extinct or impossible…

yeah that’s true. Like that coleocanth they found in africa… oh man that fish is so cool:

If there’s something like that really out there, it makes you wonder why it has all those defense mechanisms. Is there something even deadlier preying on it we haven’t found?

assuming this all isn’t crap.

Cool. In a twisted way.

I can’t believe no one’s made a Dune reference yet.

Consider the environment it lives in. Desert or steppes, basically the same thing, except one has more grass. So, a worm in the desert sounds like a good food source. It would have to have at least some defences to just get by. The polychaetes are also a very old phylum. Think a billion years or more of evolution. That’ll do stuff to ya.

Also, just because a species has an adaptation, doesn’t mean its directly evolved from predator-prey relationships. Evolution is random, sometimes things just turn out a certain way for no apparent reason.

Course, this speculation is all useless if it is crap. :slight_smile:

~Blazer~

It sounds like the abyss worm monsters from the Final Fantasy Games.But I will not fall for this joke again.

I thought about that for about 2 seconds, but that thing has nothing on Shai-Hulud.

I just looked that up on wikipedia. Up to 6.5 feet long? Shiiiiite. I didn’t know there are…fish that big.

IT’S LIKE THE WORMS FROM DUNE!

Ever hear of Jaws?

~Blazer~