The future of the FF series looks bad

Right now, 'cos, I’m not really randy at the moment, um, could it wait, like, a couple days?
(name that reference for a wonderful prize I will never send you)

Also, I just really hated everything about FFIX. I don’t even have a good reason why. I just cannot stand that game. It was actually work to play through it, which is really bad, for something supposed to be fun. The storyline always really bothered me, though I could never place why. Also, I think it had the most uncharismatic set of characters in FF history, even less charismatic than the class-named guys of FFI. I didn’t care about a single one of them, except the black mage, a little.
So, basically, I just hated that game. It may be a good game, but I hated it. A lot, as you can probably tell from the way I’ve just realized I used hate about twice a sentence, back there. So, I amend my ‘piece of shit,’ statement, because it isn’t fair.

I’m not going to stand back and let that comment go undisputed. I’m a huge fan of the DQ series, I feel they’ve gotten better with every consecutve entry, and I think that the strategy, the music, and the storyline make up for the lack of significant change in graphics. As for the lack of innovation in the gameplay formula (which has, in fact, evolved a lot), I personally am of the mindset that if something “ain’t broke,” we shouldn’t try to fix it.

I enjoy Dragon Quest because I have a healthy appreciation of classic games and classic gameplay, and I feel it to be consistantly reliable. I enjoy Final Fantasy because I like to see innovation in my games from time to time. I look forward to the new Final Fantasy games, and will judge them on a game-by-game basis.

I started that after I played 8.

Anyway there are FAR better games to play than just FF. I don’t even bother with it any more. I’ve been branching out and trying other series ever since, and I’ve found a LEGION of awesome games out there, new and old. All you have to do is put FF aside and give them a try.

I stopped being interested in FF, because I hated the way they were going. Squenix has forgotten the game’s roots, and besides that, it’s gone on too long already. They should just let FF die and start a new series. Milking Final Fantasy will only get them so far.

Yes there are quite a few other rpg’s out there that i like mostly they are on the ps1 but some arn’t.

i personally havent many problems with the series. i first started the series in '97 with ff7, which is my favorite. i havent played the original versions of ff1- 6, but i can tell from the remakes why ff1 and 2 were so popular. i havent played 3, but the 5-character party deterred me somewhat from liking 4 more than i could have. that and he fact that the area’s music started over every time you left a battle. 5 was interesting, 6 was great and 7 was awesome. 8 was alright, but the story was meh and the junction was neat, except that you could only have 4 commands. 9 was good, but the graphics were a little more cartoony, as was the story more light-hearted. 10 was great in every way, but 10-2 was… not that good. i liked the ability and battle setups, but the story wasnt that good and i didnt like the mission-based gameplay. the upcoming ff products seem like they’ll be good, though, so im not going to complain about the series going downhill just yet.

FF can’t die (Sobs) T^T

It won’t die, at least not yet. As long as there are a significant number of people buying the series, the develops will continue to make them.

It will only die, when they either run out of fans (unlikely) or run out of things to keep it unique (possible, but ages way).

The best thing about final fantasy is that they constantly redesign the system so you don’t have the same strategies to twink it out you used in the previous games.

Having an awesome storyline is a nice touch, but some aspects of the newer series are just bleh, overall none of the games have a storyline I would give a bad rating to.

clears throat

Now Quina, you seem to just be throwing crap at us without any reasonable proof. Now it’s okay that you think FFX-2 was bad and such, but why are you assuming just because you don’t like what Squeenix has made that EVERYTHING they make in the future is going to be a failure? To me this just sounds like an attempt to look “old school”. It’s failing because not only have you not played games you’re talking about, you’re also arguing by calling Squeenix “stingy dickless bastards”, which really doesn’t do much for your credibility.

Don’t get me wrong, I respect your opinion, but if you want to tell us about it, provide an intelligent argument and don’t rate games that haven’t even COME OUT YET. :stuck_out_tongue: Otherwise don’t bother with this whole “Ararar modern games sux0rz” deal. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure Arac deserved that. How dare he have an opinion!

T^T <(They’re already losing fans…Sobs)

I doubt that the FF series will be going anywhere any time soon. As “hardcore” RPG players leave the series and lose faith in it, new players pick it up. It’s become the universal gateway into playing RPGs. What’s more, it’s become a “mainstream” series, in the fact that casual game players, ones who normally avoid RPGs, will still pick up the newest entries in the FF series. Now, I’m not saying that all hardcore RPG players will leave the series behind, I’m just saying that many who are a bit elitist will say that they’re too good for FF now.

FFX had the right battle system that could’ve been used in past games but the story is just…

That and I’m rather tired of the Lifestream plot being reused.

I agree. FFX made it feel like each character had a purpose in the gameplay.
FF6 and (especially) FF7 really made your characters feel “interchangable”.
You really have to set your own self-enforced personality for the characters to avoid the “clone” feel.

That’s what I said five years ago, looking back on FFVI and Chrono Trigger. I argued that FF7 would be the fall of Square; not because it was a bad game, but because it had taken a direction opposed to the series before it. Most people are often guilty of blind conservatism, because they fear to lose what they already have. (You rarely hear your dad say, “Man, you kids have the best music.”) I’ve changed a bit from who I was five years ago, and can acknowledge now that FF7 and FF8, for instance, are great works in their own right. On the other hand, I can also point out now the change that occurred between FF6 and 7: a loss of faith in the capacity of love and intuitive goodness to solve the world’s problems. I believe that having this, or something like it, is very important in moral and allegorical stories, which the Final Fantasies certainly are.

I’ve only played 7, 8, 10, Tactics, Tactics Advance, and the GBA remakes of FFI and FFII. I’ve studied the ones I haven’t played and what I’ve come up with is: 1-6 were all around great games. 7 was a great game too, but strayed away from the traditional aspects a little bit. This is where the first major turn in the series happens. Square started trying to experiment with new thing. Tactics tested the new battle system and became a great hit. 8 tested a romance with a new magic system, it has some hardcore fans but is mostly disliked. 9 tested the aspect of a younger appearance and did a little bit above so-so. 10 experimented with several minor aspects such as being able to swap all of your characters in battle, a new leveling up system, but it was mostly a way to set the fans up for its sequal; the sequal would test huge aspect changes which would require many people to buy it without knowing what it would be like. Tactics advance was made after 10. It tested child audiences with low amounts of effort for cheap ways to get money. Crystal Chronicles was made somewhere around here. It tested multiplayer play and adaption to Nintendo’s systems. This data would be used for later Final Fantasies made for Nintendo consoles since they followed a trend. That strategy failed them because of the new standard controller. (I almost put remote there) Then 10-2 was made. It tested the all female aspect and the aspect of side-quests being most of the game. It didn’t do so well. 11 was made to test an online version that people would play for a long time. It succeeded in that aspected but wasn’t that good of a game, really. I believe we’re at a turning point. Square will stop testing things and go back to their old values. 12 will be good, but not completely like it was in the old days. That’s where 13 comes in. 13 will go back to all of the morals used in the old days and will become an awesome game. It will be considered the best by most FF fans. Or at least this is what I’m predicting will happen.

I’m planning on getting the PS versions of 1-6 soon so I can see them in person and evaluate them to a farther extent.

Aside from MQ and FF8, I have enjoyed every entry in the series (Even XI to some extent). While FFX-2 was not the greatest game I had fun playing it and I look foward to FFXII.

Well i am new here, this is only my second post, but i hope my opinion might matter.
i started at 7 like alot of people did, it was awesome played it like 4 times. got 8 as soon as possible and loved it too, mostly cause i related to the characters (the magic system was lacking). i bought 9 when the price came down, it wasn’t really that great, i had to force myself to finish and didn’t even complete all the sidequests or level all the way to 99 like i normally do. 10 was cool, it reminded me of 7 except tidus was a whiney luke skywalker. 10-2 sorry couldn’t handle the all girl sleazy thing.

before i played 10 i got a hold of 4, 6 and MQ for snes, 4+6 were really different and cool, storys were run of the mill crystal stories, but the emotion captured in those little pixely figures, priceless! i’ve played tactics and am currently playing ff5.

i didn’t even realize that square had merged, i noticed a whole lot of ff games come out but didn’ think anything of it. square is still square too me. as long as they can write stories with characters that people can care about i’m sold. incedentaly the better the graphics get the harder it is to get people to care about the characters, we tend to see them more as actors than real people, and when you play with the same “people” for 80 + hours you have to really like them or it doesn’t work ie: ff9 (for me at least)

conclusion: unless square is running out of money and in debt there will be more ff’s, whether or not they please everybody is up for grabs.

Shadow Hearts Covenant >>>>> FFX2

deep fried shit on a stick >>>> FFX2