The "funny" thing about war.

Bombing innocents is an act of cowardice. Starving them is just as filthy!

Maybe rules like that are used to ease consiences and to avoid looking like an all out bloody killer;) with these rules at least you know they were <i>trying</i> to be the better person.

And maybe also to fool the public into believing that even war has its restrictions.

Eta:

Bombing innocents is an act of cowardice. Starving them is just as filthy!

You have no concept of what war is all about, do you Manus:p :thud:

In this world, war is dirty. Superpowers and third world countries alike refuse to play by the rules!

Originally posted by Manus Dei
In this world, war is dirty. Superpowers and third world countries alike refuse to play by the rules!

Yes, unfortunately. Both sides have employed tactics which are dishonourable, as you have mentioned beforehand.

Of course, culture defines rules of war and power-hungry enemies are not about to agree on rules of war.

When it comes down to it, there are no rules.

Now, admittedly I’ve never been in combat. But let me ask you this.

Would you prefer to die because you followed some arcane restriction and someone took advantage of it, or would you prefer to live without restrictions, yet knowing that you may have hurt or killed someone who was not fighting?

Welcome to war. War is dirty becasue when you come down to it, you’re probably going to want to live. And as animals and human beings, in many cases we’ll do anything to save the our hides and the hides of our loved ones.

Manus: Allright. I tried ignoring you, but I really don’t like your spouting of slogans everywhere. You don’t back your opinions, or even make intelligent comments. Yes, I agree- I dislike war and I think that our methods of war are disgusting… but you aren’t saying anything that really adds to the thread, are you?

Perishing with honor is much better than living like a murderous coward. The outcome of the battle is never as important as the way you fight it.

Perishing with honor is much better than living like a murderous coward. The outcome of the battle is never as important as the way you fight it.

Honor can be regained, your life cannot. And honor is not in how you die, but how you live.

Honor is never regained once it’s lost, no matter what you do.

Originally posted by StarStorm
Honor can be regained, your life cannot. And honor is not in how you die, but how you live.

I must agree with that, since dying is a part of living.

Unfortunately, everyone disagrees about what the intrinsic nature of honour is.

What is that so, Manus? Please explain. Not everyone thinks of honour in the way a paladin does.

I would still prefer life over honor. Cowardice, perhaps, but my children won’t care so much about my honor if they are not born, no? And I will have no time to dwell on how honorable I was if I am dead.

I can make peace with myself about being dishonorable with my life, or the lives of those I care for are in question.

True, but some people dont care about honour.Especially when you’re to the ground and about to get your ass blown up.Human instinct is to fight back.I dont see what honour has to do with a war, since war in itself is evil.But sometimes it is necessary.Not everyone is going to live like a knight in the dark ages.

Only perishing while fighting for a noble cause or renouncing his former life can wash the stain on a warrior’s honor.

Thank you Perc, Evangelion.

Mind you, pretty much none of us are warriors, so that line of reasoning is tossed out.

And most warriors, I’m willing to bet, weould rather be alive than dead.

It seems, on that thread, that it is strange that we are talking about the honor, rules, and etc. or war, when we really ahve no place.

The only ones who truly have a right to speak of it are those who fought, and perhaps the ones truly close to the ones who ahve fought.

All we say is really opinion otherwise.

Only perishing while fighting for a noble cause or renouncing his former life can wash the stain on a warrior’s honor.

Wars nowadays are not being fought with swords as much as you’d like to believe.They are fought with fear, misunderstanding and hostility…not honour, respect and good judgement.Most people who are on the opposing ends of these wars are not even adults who are only taught to extinguish the enemy.Such a thing like honour and value to a warrior would be humorous to them.All they want to do is stay alive.

Eta:

All we say is really opinion otherwise

Quite true, also.I guess we’re very fortunate that we’re only here on a message board speculating, instead of finding out the truth for ourselves on the battlefield.

Manus, could you please elaborate on your points rather than simply tossing out maxims? Not everyone holds the same views about honour as you do. I want to know why you think the way that you do. For the most part, I have very similar views about honour as you do, but I still should like to see elaboration.

I agree with Merlin in that honour is a way by which one conducts oneself in life, since the honour which may be given to an individual after death related to the remembrance of what they did in life. Remember that the decision to put one’s life on the line for a certain cause is something which occurs in life, not death, since the latter is impossible. I say that the honour of dying in battle comes from making that decision and following it out.

Perc, since when did I become Merlin?

Originally posted by Evangelion
Wars nowadays are not being fought with swords as much as you’d like to believe.They are fought with fear, misunderstanding and hostility…not honour, respect and good judgement.Most people who are on the opposing ends of these wars are not even adults who are only taught to extinguish the enemy.Such a thing like honour and value to a warrior would be humorous to them.All they want to do is stay alive.

War was never fought with honor, really. In the Middle Ages they had a little something called The Crusades, in which the Europeans raped and pillaged innocent Muslims cities.

Pardon me, Starstorm. I confuse the two of you because of your near identical avatars.

Originally posted by Rountree
War was never fought with honor, really. In the Middle Ages they had a little something called The Crusades, in which the Europeans raped and pillaged innocent Muslims cities.

By that argument, the Moslem cause of ousting the Christian Crusaders was not honourable. Explain.

Ahh well shows how much I know about that part of history.That’s the impression the Era gives off, anyways.