The forum rules.

<A href=“http://www.rpgclassics.com/forumrules.shtml” target="_blank">The forum rules.</A>

I’ve seen the rules beaten up and battered around quite a bit. The problem is that the rules badly need some cleaning up and serious clarification. Here’s my suggestions starting from the top of the rules list and working down. These should help reduce confusion about when the line has been crossed.

1. Fine

2. Fine

3. “Excessive” is too vague. Create a standard with examples. Also, it’s probably a good idea to explain why this rule is in place.

4. “Excessive” is too vague. Create a standard with examples.

5. Fine

6. What things can and can’t be antagonized about? Surely I can criticize someone if I disagree with their argument, or bug the mailbag crew about the next mailbag, right? Also, clarify the phrase “ganging up” and give some examples of good and bad antagonizing.

7. Fine

8. Fine

9. Clarify that opinions, but not slander, are ok.

10. Fine

11. This is very important rule now that the ToB is gone, and I myself seem to be accused of breaking it. =P Without a clear footing as to what is senseless, posts in the grey area that would normally be posted in the ToB now are forced into the Main Forum. Create a clear standard for what is considered “senseless posting” and what is not, then create some examples for this rule. As it is currently written, I interpret this rule as, “Anything containing both 1) A coherent, logical order, and 2) More letters than symbols, passes as a sensible post.”

12. This contradicts with rule #11. Fix it.

13. Fine; This is a good example of how to rewrite rules 3,4,6, 11 and 15.

14. What if there is more than one user per household?

15. This rule needs clarification. As it stands, this rule prohibits a non-admin from even pointing out to a new comer that they’re breaking a rule. And yes, I know changes have been made along the way, but they’re not listed here, so technically they don’t really count for squat.

Additional Changes I suggest making:

• Take out the ":P"s, they just don’t fit.

• Number the rules, for quicker reference.

• Post a copy of the rules either in an announcement thread, or in a thread permanently locked at the top of every forum. Yes, there’s a huge link at the top, but quite a few people miss it anyway. This should help alleviate the “Oh no! I didn’t know it was against the rules!” problem.

And remember, anything not expressively denied is allowed, so think for a while more if there’s anything that could be slipping through the cracks. And don’t just flip out on someone just because “you don’t like what they’re doing”. If it’s not breaking the rules, it shouldn’t be grounds for punishment, not that you couldn’t change the rules to disallow it later, with proper reasons.

1. What if there is more than one user per household?

Heh, GM’s logically impaired. It says one account PER USER. You just answered your own question.

And how does the homework board rule contradict the spam rule?

Riddle me this, Xelo: How, then, do you verify that there really is one account per user without using their Scource Address? #14 looks like a bogus rule, but I figure that the staff knows best.

Originally posted by Green Mage
Riddle me this, Xelo: How, then, do you verify that there really is one user per account without using their Scource Address? #14 looks like a bogus rule, but I figure that the staff knows best.
Compare writing styles. Besides, there’s no real reason for people to have dual accounts unless they’re banned, or trying to create sympathy.

Unfortunately, unless the person is either incredibly stupid or trying to get caught, comparing writing styles isn’t accurate enough. Remember, it’s better to let a guilty man free than put an innocent man to death.

Edit: Rule #12 contradicts rule #11 because anything in the form of a question could be protected under rule #12. The question: “Do you aqlrjws?” should be respected just as much as “What is an integer?” with rule #12.