The fight is on.

Boycott! Boycott!

The open architecture of Kazaa makes it easy to spy on what people are getting. Kazaa works by forming networks of individual users. When you search for something, the search request propagates around the network to find what you searched for. So I think it is probably possible for someone to connect to the network and intercept the file requests going through the network. And of course this isn’t illegal, since you are sending the search around the network yourself. They don’t need to look at your computer at all to tell what sort of things you are searching for.

Funny how the RIAA likes to blame file sharing for the decline in CD sales, rather than the recession and the legal online music sites.

Meh, I’m not gonna boy cott anything. I like buying CDs, I HATE burning CDs unless the CD is rare or expensive. And since Universal dropped prices by 40% I’m good to go.

universal also makes a whole lot of shitty music.

Considering they are the biggest record label in the world I’d say most other labels will follow suit.

Originally posted by Vorpy
[b]The open architecture of Kazaa makes it easy to spy on what people are getting. Kazaa works by forming networks of individual users. When you search for something, the search request propagates around the network to find what you searched for. So I think it is probably possible for someone to connect to the network and intercept the file requests going through the network. And of course this isn’t illegal, since you are sending the search around the network yourself. They don’t need to look at your computer at all to tell what sort of things you are searching for.

Funny how the RIAA likes to blame file sharing for the decline in CD sales, rather than the recession and the legal online music sites. [/b]

No recession lasts forever–they want a long-term scapegoat.

I’d love to buy music from the record stores, but none of them carry the music I listen to. Fix that, and I’ll get back to you.

The only thing that will happen is that people start using encrypted networks, you know, the kind Record Industry Association of America would violate the law if they decrypted.

I couldn’t even get kazaa to work for me. I couldn’t figure it out. But I just record my music off of the AOL radio. I always find a way around the law. Heh.

Reno: All Roms are illegal, save in two situations:

1. If they’re test roms, kinda like that one that used to come with Snes9x that only showed the alphabet floating on the screen

2. If the company that made the game says it is ok to distribute her game freely. I think Tales of Mana or Secret of Mana series, one of these two, is an example of such a case.

The download of games without permission is only legal after the game is 75 years old, and even so there are other if’s attached to it.

Meh you losers that are too cheap to buy the album :hahaha;

Originally posted by Nulani
I’d love to buy music from the record stores, but none of them carry the music I listen to. Fix that, and I’ll get back to you.

I totally agree with that.

Originally posted by Exo
Meh you losers that are too cheap to buy the album :hahaha;

Yeah that’s right:P But on a serious note, a lot of people only like 1-3 songs on an album and there’s no sense in shelling out 15 bucks for like 10 songs. But I guess prices have dropped because of the whole online downloading thing.

But meh I always looked at it like Kazaa and the like are good for advertising. Some people go out and buy the original merchandise after hearing/watching/using the stuff they downloaded on the net because they liked what they heard/saw/used.

Originally posted by Evangelion
[b]I totally agree with that.

Yeah that’s right:P But on a serious note, a lot of people only like 1-3 songs on an album and there’s no sense in shelling out 15 bucks for like 10 songs. But I guess prices have dropped because of the whole online downloading thing.

But meh I always looked at it like Kazaa and the like are good for advertising. Some people go out and buy the original merchandise after hearing/watching/using the stuff they downloaded on the net because they liked what they heard/saw/used. [/b]

Yeah but downloading music is lame, and you can cherish the cd forever. :-\

You can cherish burnt CD’s forever too…! But yeah I see what you mean. I’d rather if I had an official copy but I’m a bum and have no job (a pathetic excuse I know) so I just do it the easy way. Most places these days don’t even have a wide variety of music, so that eliminates about 75% of the music I listen to (I’m eclectic and tend to shy away from recent hits/ main stream music). So in some cases I can’t help but give in to downloading :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t pull the ROMs are illegal thing Ren, as it’s proof you don’t know what you’re talking about. The whole thing about having to delete them after 24 hours and everything else is just bullshit. They aren’t illegal- that’s why none of the companies can sue people with ROM sites.

I’m not allowed to download anything, so I just burn the CDs others get.

Originally posted by Kagon
Don’t pull the ROMs are illegal thing Ren, as it’s proof you don’t know what you’re talking about. The whole thing about having to delete them after 24 hours and everything else is just bullshit. They aren’t illegal- that’s why none of the companies can sue people with ROM sites.

If you download anything with a copyright in it without permission from the ocpyrights holder you have illegal stuff in your computer. That’s the case of pratically almost all roms. You see, when you run games on Zsnes / 1964 / Genecyst / Whatever there are always those cute little ©’s in the opening screens…

That’s not me coming up with it. Some months ago there was a huge discussion on this subject. Atari and some other big companies said they could sue people who download roms via internet, but it would only result in a fiasco which would bring big losses so they won’t sue anyone.

I only agree with you about the 24 hours stuff. That’s the biggest bullshit ever invented. It’s illegal from the moment you start downloading it.

edit: clicka

Originally posted by Kagon

Roms are absolutely not legal, that’s why angelfire and geocities shuts down rom sites if they catch them (although geocities cares less) and why rom sites don’t usually operate for more than a few years at most. The 24/48 hours/owning it is indeed bullshit. The companies cannot sue the people in rom distribution (too many, too few specific clauses dealing with the internet in law), but they may file a case against the host and demand that they take them down in the same manner that one may deal with MP3s or pirated software.

Originally posted by Exo
Yeah but downloading music is lame, and you can cherish the cd forever. :-\

Only for about 15 years, that is the life expectancy of today’s CDs.

Nothing lasts, sorry to break it to you.