The decline of heavy metal.

Time for a rant about one of my favorite subjects. Heavy metal. Warning. To some of you, this may be offensive. Some of you may agree. And a lot of you probably don’t give a damn one way or the other. Which is all fine and good too. So, on with the rant.

For you heavy metal aficionados out there, this is nothing new. Most of you are probably aware that the bands you dig are essentially ignored by the mainstream, when, a decade ago, they flourished. We all get that. Most people blame media and MTV and the current “mallcore” generation for destroying what they deem to be this all holy sacred relic. And there might be some truth to it. But the more and more I’ve thought about it, and the more and more I’ve hung out at message boards populated by fans of “tr00 metal,” the more I believe that it’s the fans of the music who are the most to blame.

When the genre first started, it was created by pissed off kids who felt they had a grudge against the world, and their music was speaking to other kids who felt the same way. Most of them were social misfits with rough lives, and they grabbed onto this newfound music like Bill Clinton groping anything in his path. It spoke for them, and thus, it belonged to them. As time grew on, both the bands and the fans got older, and their perception of the world changed, and it eventually got bequeathed to the next generation, as most things do. Another generation of bands following in the footsteps of their predecessors came along, as did another generation of fans. However, as we get closer and closer to present day, the gap has become increasingly larger between them. The fans used to be tough, angry, pissed off people who would just as soon stomp the living shit out of you as look at you. Now, the fan kingdom seems to largely be populated by nerds who buy into the whole image and have turned it into the all holy relic that I described earlier. In other words, the “tr00 metal” fans. People whose worst problems are their computer is having problems. Have self-ostracized themselves because “nobody understands them for who they are.” Think that somehow, being out of the status quo makes them somehow better than the popular crowd. Mostly people who don’t have the balls to do what it takes to exist in the real world, so they make up all kinds of excuses for why everything else sucks. People who have taken something that was meant to be the antithesis of conformity and being involved in a clique into a clique, and criticize everybody that doesn’t fall into their little clique as a poser, when the reality is that many of these people fit the moniker far more accurately than the people they’re associating it with. With that in mind, I’ll outline a few of them now.

1. The whole “sellout” theory. Many of these fans listen to a lot of bands that most of their peers have never heard of. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, that’s how music is supposed to get spread around, right? Well…not exactly. See, most metal fans constantly criticize MTV and radio and their peers for not accepting their favorite bands and giving them a chance at success, and are constantly hoping that eventually, their favorite band will make it big. And in the same breath, if said band does achieve any success, they’re considered a sellout because now, the popular crowd likes them. Oh, heaven forbid that should happen, right? A lot of the quotes I’ve seen from these people fall along the lines of “I don’t want some trend following poser bitch with a (insert band name here) t-shirt on raving about how this is the greatest band in the world, that should be relegated to the true fans of the band!” Wait a second. How in the hell does that work? You either want them to be successful or you don’t. You can’t have it both ways, bub. These are the morons who are always trying to convert the unenlightened masses into liking their favorite band and put down anything mainstream that they like. Boo hoo. Cry me a river so I can piss in it.

2. The ever-expanding amount of subgenres. A lot of old school metalheads (and by that I mean people who grew up during metal’s heyday) will understand this. Where the hell did all these different subgenres come from? Goth, doom, black, death, thrash, speed, stoner, power, all the way down to the most ridiculous ones. Melodic death. Ambient death. Death-thrash. Swedish melodic goth. Symphonic doom. Trans-substantiated regurgitated speed with melodic prog death overtones. Most of these terms were coined by the current generations of metal fans. The ones who have elevated it to Ark of the Covenant status who discuss the varying types of metal much in the same way wine geeks prattle on about how the glasses have to be shaped a certain way and it needs to breathe for X amount of time and this zinfandel shouldn’t be paired with that entree, and so on. What the hell happened to the good old days when all this just fell under the category of “heavy metal?”

3. The complete and utter hypocrisy of these people. Both of the above tie into this, but I’m going to elaborate further. To go back to the whole sellout thing. If a band is successful, they’re a sellout, and if a band tries a different musical style, they’re a sellout. The people who like this new style as well as the older style are called “sheep.” Anyone who likes one mainstream band is called a “poser.” Well now. Let’s analyze this for a moment. You’re calling someone a sheep because (since this is the most common band associated with that term, I’ll cite Metallica as an example) they like St. Anger. A tr00 metal fan would never listen to such an abominable piece of shit. Oh no. You like Load and Reload too? Blasphemy! Kill him! Kill him before he infects the children! Fucking sheep. But wait. If they’re a sheep because they like something you don’t, aren’t you just a sheep running in the opposite direction? Suppose that, gasp, you might like one song off of St. Anger? Or one Korn song? Oh dear god! Mustn’t tell your metal friends. They might think you were…a poser!

Next comes the all important image argument. The most commonly associated thing with image is the trademark long hair. I remember a conversation at an Iced Earth board one time where the topic of discussion was Iron Maiden, and someone brought up the fact that Bruce Dickinson cut all his hair off. Which, when you get right down to it, doesn’t matter. The man can still sing his ass off. A point which was brought up. The response was “It doesn’t matter. Guys grow their hair long for a reason.” Are you fucking shitting me here? Ask most guys with long hair and they’ll probably tell you that they grew it because they wanted to, or they were too lazy to get a haircut, not because they want to fit the heavy metal image. Keep in mind that most of these insipid moron fans are the ones who always preach the “image doesn’t mean shit” ideal while growing their hair out long and having all the leather and spikes and band shirts and shit like that because it makes them look more metal. Mostly, it just makes them look like the pretentious fucking clowns they are. And, of course, complete, utter hypocrites to boot.

And then, of course, there’s the nitpicking about the tiniest little detail. I’ve seen debates ranging from everything over hair length, dress code, types of guitars used (“Dude, get a BC Rich! Fenders aren’t metal guitars!” Really. Tell that to Dave Murray and Adrian Smith sometime), right down to one of the silliest things I’ve ever seen arguments about: the album cover art. Someone please tell me what in the hell the album art has to do with whether or not you like the music. Seriously. I don’t get it. I always thought it was just another bit of pretentious bullshit spewed forth by these cretins. Honestly, I think that if most of the people in these bands that are so worshiped read what their “fans” were saying about them, they would be mortally offended to have them as fans.

One last bit of hypocrisy. As a lot of people probably know, Metallica’s St. Anger video was shot at San Quentin Prison, and the next day, as a reward for behaving themselves and treating the band very favorably, despite the fact that there were probably a lot of people there who were tempted to try and take a celebrity hostage to use as a bargaining chip to get out of jail, the inmates were treated to a free concert. Someone complained that Metallica should be ashamed to be rewarding convicted murderers, rapists, theives, and what have you with a free show. I shouldn’t neglect to mention that this person listened to a lot of music from the Scandinavian black metal scene. Which, if you follow a lot of those bands, many of their members are either dead or in jail for murdering each other, burning churches, killing Christians, homosexuals, people of different ethnicities, etc. Who was celebrating the release of one of the members of the band Dissection, who was convicted and imprisoned for brutally murdering a homosexual. Or, as he put it, “killing a fag.” That whole scene makes our rap wars look like a Boy Scout picnic.

So maybe it’s not the mainstream that sucks. Or MTV, VH1, radio, or whatever patsy these people want to blame. Maybe it’s themselves who should be taking a long, hard look at why metal is in the sorry, pathetic shadow of the state it once held. Food for thought.

Ok, I only scanned it so far, but I loved those comments about non-conformists. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t have a problem with non-conformists. Hell, a lot of the greatest events in history were because of them. But they weren’t non-conformists for the sake of being non-conformist, and therein lies the difference between them and the pukes I’m talking about in my rant.

I know, I got what you meant and completely agree.

Music is music, not a lifestyle. I think that’s all that really needs to be said. Though I can’t really comment on anything you said, cause I don’t really know anything about heavy metal.

waits for CC to come in and tell you your argument is void because much of it deals with Metallica and they’re apparently not metal.

(They are, by the way. But he’s claimed so many times to me that they aren’t so we’ll just wait and see >>; )

Next comes the all important image argument. The most commonly associated thing with image is the trademark long hair. I remember a conversation at an Iced Earth board one time where the topic of discussion was Iron Maiden, and someone brought up the fact that Bruce Dickinson cut all his hair off. Which, when you get right down to it, doesn’t matter. The man can still sing his ass off. A point which was brought up. The response was “It doesn’t matter. Guys grow their hair long for a reason.” Are you fucking shitting me here? Ask most guys with long hair and they’ll probably tell you that they grew it because they wanted to, or they were too lazy to get a haircut, not because they want to fit the heavy metal image. Keep in mind that most of these insipid moron fans are the ones who always preach the “image doesn’t mean shit” ideal while growing their hair out long and having all the leather and spikes and band shirts and shit like that because it makes them look more metal. Mostly, it just makes them look like the pretentious fucking clowns they are. And, of course, complete, utter hypocrites to boot.
This is actually why I REALLY dislike most metal bands. They’re “pretentious fucking clowns” as you so eloquently put it. Not to mention most modern “metal” bands can’t play worth a shit, but that’s a whole nother topic altogether. Anyways, I’m not exactly an expert on the genre, so I’ll stop here.

And just a side note, I have long hair because I wanna look cool like Hotohori. I don’t even like metal, so yeah >>;

Originally posted by Rubicante
Cry me a river so I can piss in it.

Funniest thing I’ve heard all week.

Anyway, I agree with you completely on the entire matter. I think that sub-genres are stupid if you ask me. Heavy metal is heavy metal.

Yeah well you can comment on how newer bands can’t play or whatever, but listen to Disturbed, Lost Prophets and System Of A Down, I dont care what you say; they CAN play for shit.

Yeah, as you mentioned the mainstream populace has always been about image because the typical individual seeks a mold to conform to in order to attain social security and a sense of self without making any effort. And it is typical to see people eye others as sell outs because of that because people evaluate others as they think and thus if you might resemble a particular type, you will be given the characteristics of that type rather readily. As you said, people that don’t conform because they want to be the opposite of people like that aren’t always any different because they frequently do the same damn things as the previous. As you mentionned, the image was once individualistic, but has now become more mainstream with people adopting it for themselves, like bands trying to mix different genres, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing to do since bands are made of people and people want money. When looking at a population in general, you have to take into account you’re not dealing with extremes, but a gradation. To expect people that are more centered inside this gradation, you can’t expect a particular style to be accepted solely by one segement, especially as you’ve said, the people have matured and changed and might be sharing their thoughts and tastes with a greaty diversity of people. Thus things spread. This isn’t something unusual. That’s when it becomes about being a sell out though, as the problem lies as to what you’re doing and why. Its not as clear anymore. Most linkin park songs I’ve heard, for example, have had pretty insipid lyrics and were played in a way to attract most people’s attention, they were given an image and boom, people latched onto it and then it became socially acceptable to like linkin park and it became part of one’s image to do so depending on the mold you wanted to adapt to. Because it became that way, it automatically became acceptable if not required to dislike linkin park in other segments for the same purpose, image.

I would disagree that metal originated solely about people being pissed off at the world and ranting though. I think metal arose out of hard rock and a few bands took on this tone. I wouldn’t say Nirvana is necessarily metal, but they do have some interesting things to say. Similarly, look back at the 70s, people weren’t necessarily always going “life blows chunks because people suck”, which is when some metal could be assumed to have started.

Summary: people suck.

Originally posted by Dominic Deegan
Yeah well you can comment on how newer bands can’t play or whatever, but listen to Disturbed, Lost Prophets and System Of A Down, I dont care what you say; they CAN play for shit.
I can’t comment on the first 2, but my brother listens to System of a Down ALL THE TIME and IMO the only way you could think they’re decent is if you’ve never heard anything that actually is decent. In other words, if you’re blissfully ignorant. But if you like listening to what sounds like half a dozen cats getting mauled by a grizzly, it’s not my place to criticise you.

Actually, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said anything about the playing. The playing itself is very good. It’s the composition of the music that sucks shit. System of a down is the result of slightly pre-middle-aged men who pull half-baked compositions out of their anus.

So in other words, if they spent more time refining their music theory and their lyrics and less time banging away on their instruments, they could potentially sound alright.

To each his own.

Originally posted by Hades Shinigami
So in other words, if they spent more time refining their music theory and their lyrics and less time banging away on their instruments, they could potentially sound alright.

Music theory isn’t necessarily needed, though its nice to have some knowledge of it. I know of a quite a few accomlished musicians that are exceptional players that don’t know any theory.

I disagree with metal originating from pissed off kids. Lets take Black Sabbath, since they’re considered the creators of the whole genre. Tony Iommi was strictly a blues man, and you can hear a LOT of blues in his solos, and he said in an interview that when Sabbath was Earth, some pop band thing I think, nobody was paying attention to them and so they cranked the gain on their amps and thus a new sound was born.

I think the whole subgenre thing is bullshit, when I’m listening to something I’m doing it to enjoy myself not because “I’m a hardcore mother fuckin metal head that MUST listen to this otherwise I’m a useless MTV created piece of shit. No, I HAVE to listen to this new symphonic transiberian railroad pseudo-satanic melodic chunky goth doomsday metal from the outskirts of Lucifer’s ass”.

Modern music sucks a lot of ass in my opinion but if someone wants to listen to it I don’t insult them and call them a poser or some shit. I’ve got a friend that’s all into this bullshit “punk” on mtv and shit, I hate it, think it sucks, and they should all have there heads smashed into a wall, but that’s just me. “OH I’m so hardcore!1 I"M ON TRL WITH CARSON DALY!!! IT’S WHAT EVERY METAL FAN DREAMS OF”

I wonder if I said anything relevant in that spill, gonna stop now cuz I’m just rambling.

Originally posted by Hades Shinigami
waits for CC to come in and tell you your argument is void because much of it deals with Metallica and they’re apparently not metal.

No. His argument is quite valid thank you. Not only that, but Metallica isn’t metal nowadays, since it doesn’t even remotely sound like it. See? I can do both. What is it with you attacking me anyway? Oh, and Hades, I wouldn’t talk about me being a music snob. I send you stuff by the Misfits or Dead Kennedys or whatever and you say they are “shit” just because you don’t care for them. Although SIX MONTHS AGO I’d say similar things about Metallica, I’d say right about now that I don’t give a flying fuck if you listen to Metallica or Blink one eighty fucking two, if it makes you happy, go right ahead. Just don’t try and get me to listen to it.

Anyway…

I consider myself a metalhead myself, but I love System of a Down, and I enjoy a lot of early KoRn. This automatically makes me a poseur to any headbanging bootstomping Manowar singin’ woman exploitin’ tr00 metalhead.

And Sin, Nirvana isn’t metal. Its grunge, which is an offspring of metal and punk music. And I guess that they have some interesting things to say when they aren’t going “Oh woe is me.”

Oh- and can somebody tell me how Cradle of Filth isn’t black metal? It sounds like black metal. The lyrics are damned black metal. Is it just because they played at Ozzfest, and have gained some mainstream success? Oh no- we can’t have that in a black metal band. In order to be truely “kvlt” nobody has to have heard of it. My friend’s band was really kvlt, they only practiced twice and they never played a show- but I can’t tell you the name, or else I would have informed a whole MESSAGE BOARD about it gasp.

Anyway, good rant, man.

EDIT: And if you actually LISTENED to the lyrics of System of A Down, Hades, you would realize that they are actually intelligent. Please don’t make unsubstantiated and ridiculous comments about things you haven’t looked into yourself. You’re sounding too much like me- only I wasn’t the guy who said that Iron Maiden was never metal… soooo…

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh- I hope this isn’t considered a flame, but considering I wake up and I find a thread with someone bashing me, I’m slightly pissed.

Originally posted by Cybercompost

And Sin, Nirvana isn’t metal. Its grunge, which is an offspring of metal and punk music. And I guess that they have some interesting things to say when they aren’t going “Oh woe is me.”

That was my point.

And if you actually LISTENED to the lyrics of System of A Down, Hades, you would realize that they are actually intelligent. and I find a thread with someone bashing me, I’m slightly pissed.

W00t. Someone agrees with me!

Oh- and can somebody tell me how Cradle of Filth isn’t black metal? It sounds like black metal.

Why does it matter whether or not they’re black metal, gray metal, purple metal, a multi-colored rainbow metal, etc?

Nice rant.

System of a Down’s lyrics are intelligent, the only one here that is “blissfully ignorant” is you Hades.

I’ve always thought the whole sell out thing was retarded. Metallica didn’t sell out with the Black Album, they changed their style. They got a new producer in Bob Rock who reshaped their styles and ideas. There is no such thing as selling out; only being successful and unsuccessful. And if there’s one thing history teaches us, its that the unsuccessful are usually bitter.

No. His argument is quite valid thank you. Not only that, but Metallica isn’t metal nowadays, since it doesn’t even remotely sound like it. See? I can do both. What is it with you attacking me anyway? Oh, and Hades, I wouldn’t talk about me being a music snob. I send you stuff by the Misfits or Dead Kennedys or whatever and you say they are “shit” just because you don’t care for them.
I certainly wouldn’t call them shit if I did care for them. Not caring for them is the definitive reason for me calling them shit. I honestly don’t see what you’re getting at there. And I did like a few songs you sent me, like “Paranoia” and the Blind Guardian stuff, but Dead Kennedys and Misfits are just like, no. They don’t even come close to fitting into the definition of what I’d even consider music.
Although SIX MONTHS AGO I’d say similar things about Metallica, I’d say right about now that I don’t give a flying fuck if you listen to Metallica or Blink one eighty fucking two, if it makes you happy, go right ahead. Just don’t try and get me to listen to it.
I don’t like Blink. In fact, I hate nearly all punk because they suffer from the whole image thing Rubicante was talking about even more than metal does.

Anyway…
Anyway indeed. >>;

This is exactly what Rubicante was getting at. Though I wouldn’t consider them metal either because they’re way too soft.

EDIT: And if you actually LISTENED to the lyrics of System of A Down, Hades, you would realize that they are actually intelligent. Please don’t make unsubstantiated and ridiculous comments about things you haven’t looked into yourself. You’re sounding too much like me- only I wasn’t the guy who said that Iron Maiden was never metal… soooo…
Quit implying things you know nothing about. I have listened to System of a Down’s lyrics and I can tell you they are shit. And I never said Iron Maiden wasn’t metal. I was saying that by your logic it wasn’t, because your logic has so many holes in it, and you define songs from across the entire musical genre spectrum as “metal” so I can’t get a clear idea of what it actually is. And don’t call my comments “unsubstantiated” and “ridiculous” about “things I haven’t looked into” when I have indeed looked into them and you’re only throwing a tantrum because I called your precious system of a down lyrics shitty. It’s very annoying.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh- I hope this isn’t considered a flame, but considering I wake up and I find a thread with someone bashing me, I’m slightly pissed.
Understandable.

Originally posted by RedComet
Why does it matter whether or not they’re black metal, gray metal, purple metal, a multi-colored rainbow metal, etc?

That was the point. I consider them black metal, when hardcore kvlt tr00 black metal fans don’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

And Hades, I’m not even going to try to argue with you, because it doesn’t matter how much logic I shove into your brain, you will always be convinced that you and only you are right- and not just with music.

Although I must say that Blink 182 is about as punk as my left nostril.

[b]That was the point. I consider them black metal, when hardcore kvlt tr00 black metal fans don’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

And Hades, I’m not even going to try to argue with you, because it doesn’t matter how much logic I shove into your brain, you will always be convinced that you and only you are right- and not just with music.

Although I must say that Blink 182 is about as punk as my left nostril. [/b]
Whether they’re punk or not, punk is punk and blink 182 is blink 182 and they both suffer from image problems.

And if by logic you mean “un-logic” then yeah, I can agree with you. Because nothing you’ve said is logical. And don’t defend yourself by calling me what you are plzkthx. Everyone knows the only music-whore around here is you, whereas I hate very little music. Coincidentally, it happens to be exactly the stuff you listen to. Let’s just drop this whole thing because apparently we have very opposing ideas, and yours are too abstract for me to compare with.