The Da Vinci Code

so I started reading this book on my break and it’s FANTASTIC. I’ve heard of it before but I just thought it was a dumb, musty old piece of literature. Surprisingly, it isn’t too full of historical and cultural descriptions so I am following along quite nicely. I have questions though.

In the beginning of the book, listed under FACT, the author goes on to say that the secret society was in fact real, and formed in 10–. Now, I wiki-ed this organization and apparently it has been de-bunked. Why would this be listed as fact? Just to set the mood or something, to make the book more believable?

What is the Opus Dei? I wiki-ed them too, but unfortunately, found surprisingly little about their harsh and conservative practices. I love reading about these nutjobs!

How good is the movie? It’s a movie, right?

What is this book about? I’m not too far into it; I heard something like someone finding true meanings of the bible and it sparked a controversy or something, blah blah blah. Don’t spoil me please, I haven’t found out what the curator guy did to himself but I WANNA KNOW SINCE IT’S KILLING ME WHAT HAPPENED WHY DO THEY HAVE TO BE SO VAGUE? Anyway, I’ll get to reading that part.

Any other interesting tidbits I should know?

Dan Brown is a huge sensationalist fag who took a bunch of loosely connected facts and joined the imaginery dots to make them into a huge sweeping conspiracy which he then tries to pass off as reality in real life. His books are, I admit, quite enjoyable on a purely base level, but he is the epitome of someone who is a huge goddamn tool.

To whit; I fucking hate Dan Brown.

edit; I recommend everyone read Digital Fortress and watch him try to write about computer systems the same way he does religion. Get it out of the library or steal it. Do not give him your money.

Part of what you said sounds like “Please tell me the parts of the story I haven’t read yet but don’t give any spoilers!”

Opus Dei is an ultraconservative arm of the Roman Apostolic Catholic Church. It is a juridic organization as recognized by the Canonic Code of Rights (I think that’s the name in English). They have schools here in Brazil (which is oficially a catholic country, and they have some influence in the religious sphere). Around the globe they have some 80,000 members.

Opus Dei was founded in 1928 by a spanish writer named Josemaría Escrivá (the ´ marks the stress in the word).

From their .br site:

With this service [their regular religious services], we stimulate the practice of the teachings from the Gospel through the exercise of christain virtues and the sanctification of professional work.

Sanctifying one’s work means, for the fidels, to work accordingly to the spirit of Jesus Christ: do your job with perfection, to give glory to God and to serve others, and thus contribute to bless the world, making current the spirit of the Gospel in all temporal activities and realities.

In practice, though, what happens is that part of a member’s income goes to the church, abd they are doctrined to believe that through work one can forget about the temptations of life (i.e.: instead of taking a cold shower when you’re horny, go get to work!). Also, they say “freedom of expression” a lot, but they follow a code of publications called the Index. It is not the same old Index Librum Prohibitorium of the Catholic Church, but cruel anyway. Books are given a number which ranges from one to six. Rank 1 books can be read by anyone. Books ranked 2 and 3 can be read by people who have “a good doctrinal formation” and “critical thinking/spirit” (or something like that; respectively). Books ranked 4 are those for which the reader needs a very strong reason to read. Books ranked 5 are forbidden for the members, and 6 are those they think nobody, even non-members, should never read (Alester Crowley and José Saramago are here).

Really, from their site, the impression I get is that their main objectives are a) to make it so that people take the act of working as a manner of prayer, and that they do so with a degree of fanatiscism and b) make as many people follow that book coding procedure, for if they did, there would be so much less sinning in the world.

In time: the founder of Opus Dei had ties with the spanish franquist dictatorship.

And no, it isn’t a movie. Not yet anyway, it’s in production.

I haven’t read it, but to my knowledge it’s about the secrets of Jesus’s relationship with Mary Magdalene. Or something.

Dan Brown is a huge sensationalist fag who took a bunch of loosely connected facts and joined the imaginery dots to make them into a huge sweeping conspiracy which he then tries to pass off as reality in real life

It seems that way…I just got to the part about the Vitruvian man and it says in the book that Da Vinci passed it off to symbolize male and female harmony…once again I wiki-ed and it says that the drawing was about proportions and human anatomy. This is whack, yo. Maybe I just need to find more online sources to explain these things? But I hate the way the author just…twists everything around for the sake of his story, ESPECIALLY since he wrote in the beginning that everything is accurate and correct…

I’d be more willing to bet the Vitruvian Man was intended as an antamical study more so than the search for a way to represent gender harmony. Leonardo had a number of journals on anatamoy (and other things) and even built experiments to test his theories (the man figured out how one of the valves in the heart worked some 500 years before everyone else). Sadly, he left his journals to his apprentice (whose name I can’t remember) when he died, who then in turn left them to his son (the apprentice’s son). Unfortunately, the guy didn’t really give a shit about them and gave them up. Then from there, they were cut up, censored, rearranged, and in some cases I think they were even destroyed. It’s estimated only about 25% of da Vinci’s journals are still around.

Marry me?

/nod

It’s a very enjoyable novel just as long as you remember it’s not a real history book.

By “facts” he means that it <i>is true</i> that Da Vinci painted <i>Madonna of the Rocks</i>, that the Knights Templar existed (they were burned by Philippe le Bel for heresy, but that was because they had too much power and wealth, and not due to their discovery of any secret of the church, either), etc., but no, there is no carefully-guarded secret passed down throughout the generations with a massive conspiracy to overthrow Christianity, etc., etc.

Cheers.

Yes, learn Norwegian and read the parody ‘Madonna Gåten’ written by Knut Nærum. It’s several times better than the original.

Dan Brown is a stupid lying liar who lies all the time. He writes entire books full of lies. Its like he’s just making it all up.

There should make a LIES section in bookstores to display his books because they’re nothing but lieful lying lies full of untruths and lies.

Oh wait, they do have a lies section, its called fiction.

LOL

But yeah, Dan Brown’s alright, but he’s not a great writer, he’s only above average.
Which isn’t that hard.

Well I find that his books have that special “grip” in the same way that Harry Potter or Dragonlance books capture your attention for hours and hours on end. It takes special skill to write fiction novels that have that kind of grip on your readers.

I agree with you Cless. I find the writing style slightly above average, but there’s just something in there that calls out to me when I cannot get to the book and read it. I HAVE to see what happens next. I love that.

So I guess it never was a true story then? Only bits and pieces intertwined together to make up one big thriller novel?

Bingo.

Guess the only people dumb enough to buy this thing for a real history book are the American Catholics, for they have been pestering Sony Pictures to alter the plot for the movie adaption since they felt offended by some parts of the book. I find it slightly annoying that only because some dumbos can’t read Dan Brown’s note that this is a fictional novel - with the descriptions of locations and pieces of art being correct - Sony Pictures want to alter the plot. Rename Opus Dei, remove the Mary thing. Hello? That’s ridiculous. Apart from that, America isn’t the only film market.

This book is awesome. I’ve read it around 6 times now. :moogle: