The Chronicles of Narnia

Has anyone else read this series of children’s literature? I am re-reading it yet again, this time aloud to myself. I must say that it is one of my favourite series of books. The reading is easy, the stories vivid and the characters colourful (my favourite is the mouse knight Reepicheep). Now that I have studied history, religion and literature extensively, I have been able to pick up many of the subtle allusions as well as nuances in the whole allegory. I find myself especially drawn to moral struggles in the stories, and, although I am not Christian, I can appreciate them.

Im not much into fantasy, but I’ve read a few of them. They’re cool stuff, I’d probably read the whole thing if I could sit through it.

I’ve read them. I very much enjoyed them. Not the best thing I’ve ever read, but still quite good. My mom got me this really nice anthology book some time back. Mind, it was about a year after she bought it that I read it. :slight_smile:

I think they made movies based off some of the books…I think I saw one or two of them some years back.

I’ve read the first tome, Great story, i must admit.

Originally posted by GG Crono 4
I think they made movies based off some of the books…I think I saw one or two of them some years back.

If recall correctly, there are live action BBC productions of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Silver Chair. I have seen these. I also understand that there are animated films of some of the books, but I have not seen any of those.

I have the whole series somewhere in my house, but I can’t find them.

I had to read one in 6th grade. It was the one with the piece of Furniture that took the 3 kids to Narnia.

That would be the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. It’s a cool book, I hope you enjoyed it.

NARNIA! WHOO!

I love the series, especially the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. (Yeah, Reepicheep’s the best! ^^) And I really like how the author made the entir series end, it made me bothe happy yet sad at the same time. ^^ ;_;

Read through them, meh. The ending sucked.

Man, I thought you were talking about the Nimh books at first Perc.

I remember reading them when i was about 11-12.Of course, i’d probably enjoy and appreciate the series more now, that I’m older.I also remembering reading The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe about 5 times.That was my classic favorite.

I used to re-read them quite often (not as much now, I need a break before I get back into the slightly more kiddie-like prose). It’s pretty cool, yeah. The Christian imagery gets a bit much in certain books, though (the first and last in particular).

Figures you’d like the most chivalrous character in the series, Perc. 8p Me, I like the Marsh-wiggle from The Silver Chair. :sunglasses:

Interestingly enough, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were professors in the same university. Supposedly Lewis was a much more interesting teacher than Tolkien. Tolkien didn’t like Lewis’s Christian “crusade” in his novels, apparently. :sunglasses:

yeah as Cid said, Lewis was the Robin to Tolkien’s Batman at Oxford.

I loved the series, but I haven’t read them since I was a child, I should pick them up again someday.

Hmm haven’t read those books in a long time. Not that I did much…
Mebbe I should find them

Yup, I remembered re-reading those once I found out about the whole Christian imagery thing. I loved those books when I was a kid, and yes, Reepicheep roxorz.

I’ve read them before, and to say the least, they’re extremely exciting and captivating. The ending was a little disappointing, but most of the rest of the series made up for it.

I’m afraid I haven’t read any of the books, although, I’ve watched the filmatisation of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe quite a few times. It’s one of the shows NRK ( Norway’s reply to BBC ) has aired a lot.

C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien weren’t only professors at the same University ( Oxford ) but also members of the same ‘Writers Club’ and, if I recall correctly, good friends.

Those were some fuggin sweet books. I think my favorite one would either be the 3rd or the 6th. Funny you mention this, I was just talking with my friend about these a couple days ago, and I let him borrow my set for the summer.

In what order are the books arranged in your series? In mine, they are arranged by the order in which they were written:

1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
  2. Prince Caspian
  3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
  4. The Silver Chair
  5. The Horse and his Boy
  6. The Magician’s Nephew
  7. The Last Battle

However, I usually read them in Narnian-chronological order:

1. The Magician’s Nephew
  2. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
  3. The Horse and his Boy
  4. Prince Caspian
  5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
  6. The Silver Chair
  7. The Last Battle

The set I got them has it in Narnian Chronological order.