The Beach Boys

Has there ever been a greater American band?

I got a lettermans sweater
With a letter in front
I got for football and track
Im proud to where it now
When I cruise around
The other parts of the town
I got a decal in back

So be true to your school now
Just like you would to your girl or guy
Be true to your school now
And let your colors fly
Be true to your school

They’re the ones who originally recorded “Dig Up Her Bones,” right?

Greater American bands? A lot of people would say the Doors, also maybe the Byrds or Chicago. But I’d favor the Beach Boys too.

Yes.

The lack of respect for the New Kids on the Block is disgusting, I tell you. DISGUSTING.

Just in case anyone thinks I’m fucking around:

I’m completely serious.

1. Beach Boys
  2. Bob Dylan
  3. Velvet Underground

Has been. Let’s forget for a second the jazz/blues combos of the U.S. (great stuff there).

For me it’s Frank Zappa. Or Lynyrd Skynyrd.

And Mr. Bungle are awesome.

As Nietzsche said of the Greeks, were the Beach Boys shallow out of profundity?

Unfortunatly, I think the Doors were subjected to Morrisons whims too often to be that good. Their first couple albums were good but then everything kind of went to shit, just like Morrison.

Beach Boys for the win!

I dunno, man. I thought The Doors got better as Jim Morrison got crazier. They are acid rock after all.

I haven’t heard much by The Beach Boys. I think that song where the islands being listed is by them though, that’s not too bad. Pretty nice mellow music.

Hell yeah!

Their album Pet Sounds can be considered one of the greatest American albums, but most of their other music was too… surfish for me to consider really great (although I like it and it’s fun to listen to).

Hell yeah![/QUOTE] Quoted for truth.

Bob Dylan? You mean like, Bob “They stone you when you are not able” Dylan? That’d be a hell of an argument to make.

Especially cos Bob Dylan isn’t a band, it’s a dude.

On a COMPLETELY UNRELATED note, what is your opinion on The Wallflowers?

Beatles are better
Simon And Garfunkel are better
Daft Punk are better
But Beach Boys ARE great. Don’t get me wrong, but they are NOT the best.

Only problem is The Beatles are from the UK and Daft Punk are from Quebec… The thread creater was being very specific, specific enough to say the best band from a specific country. specific.

What is your point about where The Beatles are from? Maybe I should finnish reading your thread. But I do not do that before posting a reply. So my guess is that you should shut up.

Oh, Charle, I love your beligernet posting.

Hey buddy, I said specific. Specific it up, cmon, just do it. Like Nike.

It’s hard to make the argument that Bob Dylan is the greatest popular musician America (or anywhere) has ever produced? That’s not even an argument, that’s the first principle of rock and roll.