The age of Video game players seem to have increased

I am begining to think what my wife says is true.
“Men never grow up, just bigger.”

I noticed a lot of you mention that you would not use any PAR codes to cheat at games- Maybe because even the PAR codes are passe’ with todays sophicated Hex edits on saves- But in 1994 nobody could do that- There were no ROM’S or emulators-There was the game genie but you couldn’t generate your own codes for it and it had few codes for SNES RPG’S anyway.
So everyone was stuck with the games the way they were until>>enter ME with my PAR- And no one else had one because no game stores carried it because it was made in England and i later read Nintendo tried to prevent distributers from selling them here to game stores-a friend of mine going to school in England bought one and gave it to me while on summer vacation back in U.S. -i would do things like generate all the items in Zelda Link to the past or all the techniques in Chrono Trigger and my friends in the RPG completers club or friends at the video game stores would give or send me their carts to do codes on.
But i have said all this before- I am saying it is no big deal now to use PAR codes or hex editiors because it is common and the games have been around for 10 years- But back then- When i discovered the Dragon’s Warp using a PAR code and what it did in BOF 1 it was exciting- You just never had seen anything like that in a game before- an item with a 4 digit area #XXXX you could change to warp anywhere- and no matter how many times you played the game straight you couldn’t get into that tavern in Nanai because of the soldier blocking the door-But with a PAR code that gave you the Dragons Warp you could actually warp inside that house and talk to people in the house- and there was music in the house no where else in the game-The dialog was funny too- one character says ,You are sooo cute!“This wasn’t just generating items or airships; this was something the programers removed from the game- it was a tool they used to go to check different areas of the game- and when i discovered it every gamer i knew wanted me to hack that item in their carts.
Now the frame of mind is-” i want to show i can beat the game straight without cheating- Cheating makes the game too easy and it is no accomplishment to beat it that way"-BUT that is now again- because the cheating is available-
Back then the frame of mind was - “Anyone can beat the game regular- i want to know what is in this game the programers removed - If i use a code breaker- PAR to generate items in the game will ones appear in the code sequence that were removed from the game and what do they do? I want the airship at the beginning of the game and see if it effects any scenarios or changes the game-
Now it is-” i want to play the game straight and show i can beat it without cheating"- back then it was - “i want to find everything in this game- play it inside and out - use a code device to get into inaccessable areas, houses that are blocked off, find items that are not on the item list or you can’t find any regular way in the game but can only be found by an item generating code that reveals them.”
And like one of you mentioned i had a community to share my PAR codes with and clubs i belonged to where we all wrote back and forth helping each other out with places they got stuck in the current RPG which everyone was playing and got together at game stores on the weekend.Everyone contributed their own part- one made up item lists and where items where found- one prepared maps- anyone who could shared a solution to a hard part in a game-
And i did my PAR codes to find new items and generate airships and techniques at the beginning of the game for those who wanted them- and i NEVER heard anyone make any derogatory comment about another gamer- No one ever criticized another gamer even if he wasn’t too good figuring out stuff -you just helped where you could-it was expected.and i like what Seifer said about me-at least somebody is nice here- here is a pic of inside that inaccessable tavern in Nanai in BOF 1- and there is no way to get inside without generating the Dragons warp with the PAR-Now it is play the game straight to show you can beat it without cheating- the same old boring way everybody else does- back then it was- i want to use codes to find everything and do everything i can in a game-including using a PAR to find items programers removed from a game-
And why did i get back into SNES RPG’S after not playing them for years? Because of English translated ROMS of Dragon Quest 5,6 and Dual Orb 2- To be able to play games in english i didn’t back then- and i like Seifer.—

Could you maybe check this site out? Especially this page.

plzkthnxuhohbbqchipz

God, are you DAFT? Read the freaking posts! Look, I’ll spell it out for you:

We

Don’t

Cheat

Because

We

To

Play

Games

Fairly.

Why? Because It’s more satisfying an experience than to simply cheat your way through.

Do you understand? Yes, or No? Do I need to use one syllable words?

And, I’m sorry for getting angry about it, but, dragonquester, you just don’t listen! Ever.

I don’t think that she was talking about cheating, this time around, merely just playing around with stuff. It sounds boring, like, the warp thing, but I love little goodies like that, and I can actually understand what she means by that. Nerdy, but it would be pretty fun just to ee all of that extra stuff and then experiment with everything.

Back then the frame of mind was - "Anyone can beat the game regular- i want to know what is in this game the programers removed

That sums it up nicely. What’s wrong with frigging around with stuff when you’ve beaten the game and done everything you wanted? It’s not like she’s making warp items for the first time to help her out in the game (and I don’t see how it can…). The last time i played BoF2 on my emulator, I used some built in cheat that gave me unlimited money, and I had a lot of fun just playing through like that, even though I had beaten and played the game normally many times before.

If it is a better experience to play games through the same old drab way then do it- But you will never find items the programers removed or get into houses in Nanai in Breath of fire 1 blocked by soldiers-and have the joy of finding the Dragon’s warp which is impossible to get playing the game your way. i guess i am just a more creative person- I guess i want to play the games inside out and find out new things rather than play the game like this a>b.finis.-
i keep forgetting that people are a lot less creative and inquisitive now than the people who played SNES RPG’S were in the early 90’s. a>b finis won’t do it for me - i have to have a…(1) … (2) … 3… {4} … 98,99,a0,a1,a2,a3…>b.It is not just cheating but doing everything and finding everything you can in a game- and you have to use PAR codes to generate items programers removed and PAR codes to find the Dragon’s Warp item to warp inside inaccessable houses- YOU play the game your way and you will never see this in Breath of Fire 1( see pic below) - if you don’t use a PAR code you will never get into this house- and me, i am inquisitive , creative.Gotta get in that house blocked by a soldier- AND i just do codes- not grammer, not wash windows, not wash cars ,-and what the heck would I do with a dictionary?----(hey, seifer,how about defending me a little?)------

I feel that this statement sums up my stance on cheating nicely. I won’t do it my 1st trip through a game, but 2nd, 3rd, etc, I’m all for it. It frshens up the experience, makes it different.

I also buy game guides, I like getting 100% the first time through. However, I don’t read ahead, and usually only consult the guide if I am really stuck, or want to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

Some games, you just need a guide. Most MMORPG’s need one, as do largfe games like GTA, and etc. Hell, San Andreas alone, I wouldn’t have found have the shit if I didn’t have the guide. Its 300 pages for christ sakes.

Sometimes I will cheat, I admit, but not often.

And no, I don’t need to hunt down every little tidbit in a game to be satisfied with it. Who cares what’s in the buildings in Nanai? There’s no need to see the insides of them, so why bother trying?

That’s my outlook. From what you say, it seems as though your fandom nears obsession. Remember:

IT’S JUST A GAME!! IT HAS NO IMPACT ON REAL LIFE WHATSOEVER!!

Seriously, I wonder sometimes why people obsess over things like that sometimes.

Then I remember Saber Marionette J, and realize I’m the same as they are. :stuck_out_tongue:

man this is a first - somebody in here actually understands that using codes to find stuff in games programers removed is not cheating to make the game easy but wanting to do things you normally can’t do in a game or find a way to get into a blocked house in a game- like in Breath of fire 1- When my friends got to that city of Nanai there was that tavern below the main castle you can’t get into because a soldier blocks the door-
and when i met with my friends on saturday at the video game store - they all said, Hey Code Junkie( that is what everyone called me and i hated the “junkie” part because a junkie is a dope user not a video game code maker- why couldn’t they call me code maker- NOT junkie)you know that house in Nanai you can’t get into? Is there area code # using the Dragon’s warp that will warp you inside that building? i said , "yes , use 0043 and there are people in there that say funny things like You’re sooo cute and there is music in that house not anywhere else in the game-but sorry i forgot that you don’t care what’s in that house- then why play the game in the first place?you gotta do it all to be satisified in life.

I don’t quite see how learning to better to communicate is going to hurt you in anyway, really. I’m just suggesting a little structure can only stand to improve the readability of your messages. Hell, I’m only asking that maybe you use a FUCKING PERIOD ONCE!

If that’s what you believe, then that’s what you believe. I, on the other hand, play a game for it’s storyline, not it’s mechanics, or the tricks in it. It’s the story of a game that interests me.

Final Fantasy Six? Who cares that there’s a bajillion ways to mess with your file? It’s the story of the returners against the empire, and later, Kefka, that I liked.

You ask why I should even play a game if I’m not going to get everything. I say, why should you waste precious time trying to find every little bit of one game? Life’s too short to spend it wiling away codes for a video game, the events of which aren’t real.

And, you know what? I’m just going to drop the whole thing. I’m obviously not getting through to you, dragonquester, so I’m not going to bother. You’ll never understand my point of view, I guarantee it, so I’m not going to bother trying to explain it to you, little girl. (No, I don’t believe that you’re 35 years old)

(My 300th post!)

you seem to be living in a magical fairyland where everyone treats everyone else with respect and people care more about discovering stuff in the game than completing the game like some mundane being ho hum.

noone cared. apart from you and your like-minded fellows and the other 500,000 people with pro action replay cards, very few wanted to know what was behind the door that soldier is blocking the entire game or what the dummied-out item does if you use it in such and such a place. games are for completion and always have been. discovering new items and stuff via cheats is fun and always will be but it’s never been central to gaming life like you seem to think it has been.

also? ethics of cheating? what? whether to slaughter animals humanly is an ethical discussion. whether to keep or throw out the death penalty is an ethical dicussion. whether to use a cheat cartridge to get gaming extras is not. it’s just one group of people who like to use cheats and another group of people who didn’t and neither even knew the other existed. it isn’t creativity, it’s just curiosity. you’re not creative just because you decide to see what’s in the mythical house of soldier-blockery.

you seem to be viewing the past through rose-tinted lenses and then trying to justify this way is somehow ‘better’ than playing the game as the developers decided was good enough. you have your own opinion and that’s fine, but stop putting on airs.

Ok will try to use a period. i am afraid to think of what you would say about my handwriting!some people said they don’t believe i am 35. then how old do you think i am?-
and i play for the story line too- my friends did too back then. I guess we were just a little more inquisitive than people playing games now.
But i like stories ; especially in Dragon Quest 5 where the main character gets to choose a wife- Depending on who you choose the game takes on a more free form. Like in Dragon Quest 6 , it is mostly linear up to a point in the game then you have a lot of choices what you can do next.
I would love to see Romancing Saga 1 in English. A japanese guy who worked at the Die Hard Video game store and did translation sheets for Super Famicom games told me it was the most free form RPG - not linear at all- And he told me Monster Maker 3 for super famicom was the most unpredictable game of all RPG’S - and i like what Seifer said about me!-Seifer could have been in the RPG completers club .or one of my friends who played the SNES RPG’S that met with me and the others on saturdays at Captron in the mall to discuss games or at the Die Hard video game store
Seifer- if i have even one friend here then i am happy- and i am going to share some of my good code stuff with you- If you play Breath of Fire 1- the town of Nanai gets destroyed- blows up- Using the Dragon’s warp item input area# 0039-that will warp you back inside nanai which has been destroyed. going back inside a town that has been destroyed is really something, isn’t it?

Its not really a question of if generation x is more inquisitive than generation y when generation x has by-passed inquisitive COMPLETELY and landed in teh world of obsession. Yes, its interesting to play a game through with characters and such that weren’t originally intended to be playable, but why waste hours of your life finding out what its like to go back into a town that just had its capital blown to kingdom-come if you aren’t supposed to? Don’t take this the wrong way or anything, but do you actually HAVE a life or a hobby or something OUTSIDE of video games? Video games are fun and all but you really should put the controller down once and a while. Hell, do something with your husband, I’m sure he’s feeling inadequate if you prefer a SNES’s company to his. I know I sure as hell would be pissy, to say the least, if I was being constantly neglected in favor of a video game.

As for the untranslated Japanese games, check out the Whirlpool . I’m pretty sure someone is working on Romancing Saga 1.

You describe playing games legitly as “the drab old way” - I have to disagree. If the game is drab and boring, then it’s not a good game. Clearly, if it isn’t then it’s a keeper - I don’t need codes and PAR whats-its to make a game exciting. Now, I’ll be frank, I’ve played a lot of games and I’m not as enthralled by them as I used to be, but that just makes finding a gem all the more exciting. For example, Metal Gear Solid 3 was the first game I’ve played in a looong time (at least since Mario and Luigi: Super Star Saga) that I not only enjoyed immensely, but felt the urge to complete again and get all the spiffy cool stuff. That’s where the fun I get. If the developers didn’t want something in the game, then they took it out, and it wasn’t supposed to be in the game for a specific reason, which I respect - they designed the game and it’s their work. Far be it for me to tell T.H. White that things should have gone differently in “The Once and Future King”.

i draw portraits of old movie stars and have them reduced to postcard size and sell them at movie collectable shows.i like watching dvd’s and videos of 1920’s and 1930’s comedians and collecting movie still pictures of old comedians. i teach an art class in portrait drawing at a local college and during the summer teach an acting class for kids.here is some of my artwork—2 drawing i did of Alice Faye-i have binders full of drawings i have do of old time movie stars, old postcards in the art deco style —

…so…

Anyone for toast?

For the record, I like digging around in games looking for dummied items and whatnot. Some of it’s rather interesting. Grandia had dummied items that permanently <i>decreased</i> your stats. Just Breed had super-powerful dummied equipment… like a bow that was more than 4 times more powerful than the most powerful weapon in the game you can actually get. Somebody used a “walk through walls” cheat in Chrono Trigger to get some chests behind a shopkeeper’s desk (you know how shopkeepers in old games always had chests for show), and one had 57342 gold in it for some reason. Stuff like that is neat to me. Not overly so, but interesting nonetheless.

I agree. I remember how elated I was when I learned that I could access any of the items taken out of the US print of FFIV if I used a Game Genie (which was a commonly sold item in America, everyone I knew back then fully knew of them and what they did). It’s fun playing around with that stuff once, but it loses it’s appeal almost immediately. You suddenly realize that the developers usually take stuff like that out for a good reason (it’s not necessary, or it’s too powerful, or too weak, or wasn’t finished, etc). Playing a game legitimately is definitely more rewarding, but there’s something kind of fun (or at the very least funny) about seeing a party of three Sephiroths (obtained by using a GameShark, which, back then, was just a straight conversion of a Pro Action Replay, and continued to be so until Datel opened up a US office in 2002).

Pro Action Replay’s aren’t exactly rare or obscure. EGM advertised them pretty heavily in the 8-bit and 16-bit era, so did Gamepro and Game Players. They just weren’t carried in too many stores over here because Galoob already had a market with Game Genie. Galoob was attacked back then by Nintendo, <A HREF=“http://www.nesworld.com/law-0006.htm”>but fought back and won</A>, which is why we still game “performance enhancement devices” for our consoles in America today. If you didn’t have one (and somehow never heard of one), Game Genie did basically the same thing the PAR did. It was a little harder to create codes for it, but it was possible nonetheless. In fact, Galoob even mentioned how to do so in the instruction manual for the device. What’s more, magazines like EGM and GamePro (though not Nintendo Power, for obvious reasons… >_>) would accept players submissions of their best Game Genie (or Pro Action Replay) codes, and print them in the magazine. RPG codes were amongst the most common, even if the games themselves were not very popular.

Original information about the case from Galoob is hard to come across these days, as they were purchased by Hasbro some time ago. Galoob simply marketed the product though. The creators of the Game Genie, <A HREF=“http://www.codemasters.com/”>UK based Codemasters</A>, are still alive and well.

Just for the record, I find myself completely incapable to read any of dragonquester’s posts. It’s like one huge sentence, even if it does have periods in it. Maybe you should also be made aware of the glory of paragraphs.