Technology, Technology...

I’m not a very creative person when it comes to new ideas and developments regarding the wonderful technical society we live in today soooo I figured maybe I would get a few suggestions on what to do for an assignment I have…which is picking a topic, technology of the present and how it works and all that.Well I’m pretty stumped on what is an interesting peice of technology that exists in todays world…something that doesnt take eons to find info for…

Anyone have any helpful hints on what I should do my project on?I promise all do all the rest of the work…

Not too good at Technology…in my school, we hafta choose between that, textiles and food tech (cooking). Lucky me, I got cooking (bleh).

Well, on topic…maybe the PS2? Ducks rotten tomatoes No really! I mean, you could write about all the design fault thingys they had at first, whilst convincing your parents to let you buy one!

That is SUCH a great idea, at least it’ll be a topic I’m into…and I’ll probably ace it, because of that fact :slight_smile: I’ll have to ask my teacher.Dude your school doesnt have very many options on what to take…what is textiles??

Textiles is like…sewing and stuff. It’s an all girls school (sucky, I know), so we get a choice between taking that, food, graphics or cdt (craft design technology). Food is bad for me…I burn everything!

Whenever I have a chance to take a cooking class, i take it. I don’t want to just live on frozen waffles and instant Mac n Cheese during my college years!

At my school in the first three years, we were forced to do all of them, food, textiles, resistant materials (wood work + metal work), graphics, electronics/systems.

In the forth we got to chose what one we did, I decided for graphics, it was ok to start, but after nearly two full years, I just feel screw this, anything will do! I don’t care what grade I get!

Whenever I have a chance to take a cooking class, i take it. I don’t want to just live on frozen waffles and instant Mac n Cheese during my college years!

And toast.Cant forget about that.Your paragraph pretty much sums up my cooking skills.
We dont have any cooking classes anymore for some reason…there are none at my high school…that’s my excuse.

I spent 20 minutes wtritting a 8000 characters text about technology here just to have the admin block all computers in the lab… If you wanna talk about techonology, get my icq #uin and we may discuss it, I’m not in the mood to retype everything now.

My suggestion: if you can, get some editions of Scientific American. I have a lot of them and that’s about the best material about technology I have.

That I will do:victoly:

Originally posted by Valkyrie Esker

Eh, you get used to it…

Textiles are technology. Think about all the technology that goes into the modern mass production of textiles. Of course, a lot of the technology is relatively old, but it is still technology. Just a few hundred years ago, cloth had to be weaved in looms by hand. Then the steady progress of technological development brough more advanced looms, such that they became more and more automatic. Textile factories could eventually just run automatic looms. Punch cards, which were used to program computers until recently (advances in magnetic storage made them obsolete by the late 70’s/early 80’s), were originally developed for the Jacquard loom in 1801, which used the cards to control the pattern that was woven. And the technology does keep improving, although it is less noticable now since the weaving is automated and not many people care too much. I guess they come up with more efficient machines and stuff though.

I was thinking about describing nowadays power sources, means of transportation, medical tech…

And the future too. Next step are Convergence, Wireless Connections, Nanotech and a fourth thingie (I forgot the name)…

I think I may stick to LS’ suggestion, after all, I’m only in grade 10 and the concept of all that…stuff described above will really hurt my brain!:stuck_out_tongue: So playstation it is, and of course one of my resources will have to be this site…for people attempting to help me…

Originally posted by Ren
[b]I was thinking about describing nowadays power sources, means of transportation, medical tech…

And the future too. Next step are Convergence, Wireless Connections, Nanotech and a fourth thingie (I forgot the name)… [/b]

Biotechnology? Lots of stuff in that now.

Originally posted by Vorpy
Biotechnology? Lots of stuff in that now.

Yes, I think it was that. Proteomics are gonna be the best.

Originally posted by Heaven’s Soldier
[b]At my school in the first three years, we were forced to do all of them, food, textiles, resistant materials (wood work + metal work), graphics, electronics/systems.

In the forth we got to chose what one we did, I decided for graphics, it was ok to start, but after nearly two full years, I just feel screw this, anything will do! I don’t care what grade I get! [/b]

Yeah, that’s what we’ve got! CDT is graphics and resistant materials combined really, then just split up once you get to year ten. Unfortunately, cooking is just…ugh…curls up into a little ball in the corner

Wow, that’s weird! There’s so many similar things between our schools!

Originally posted by Lady Shadowz
[b]Yeah, that’s what we’ve got! CDT is graphics and resistant materials combined really, then just split up once you get to year ten. Unfortunately, cooking is just…ugh…curls up into a little ball in the corner

Wow, that’s weird! There’s so many similar things between our schools! [/b]

Actually I got that a little backwards, the resistant materials, are split in the first few years, then if you chose it, in year ten, you chose which one you did

Yeah, it is sorta strange how similar our schools are, where do you go to school anyway?

Well, I’m from the UK, so I guess our schools would be, huh? :slight_smile: Makes sense when I think about it!

Originally posted by Lady Shadowz
Well, I’m from the UK, so I guess our schools would be, huh? :slight_smile: Makes sense when I think about it!

Yeah, I guess you have a good point! I had a feeling you might have been from the UK, considering all the similarities between our schools (and the fact that we almost always seem to be on at the same time)

Yeah, I know! I’m glad I finally met someone in my timezone! I mean, I’m about to leave and SUDDENLY everyone comes online! :thud: Gets annoying after a while, doncha think?