Take that RIIA!

About time I say…

Ummm…yay?

there getting sued for putting protections on their CDs so people don’t copy them? That sounds like a rediculous lawsuit…

Maybe they’re doing something like… suing because they can’t make lawful backups of the CDs?

The RIAA doesnt scare me. I could care less if they want me to burn their music or not, and if they do take me to court, i’ll go to jail before i give them a dime.

Originally posted by Devillion
The RIAA doesnt scare me. I could care less if they want me to burn their music or not, and if they do take me to court, i’ll go to jail before i give them a dime.

Same here. I won’t pay $20 for a CD, so I can’t “keep a backup for a friend in case of an emergency”?
>>
<
<

You’re always so slow.

And as Steve said, they are suing because the record companies have installed copyright protection that not only hinders illegal copying but also legal copying. In Europe it is still legal to make copies of CDs and DVDs as a backup. Not only that, but a lot of the copyright protection hinders users from playing the CDs and DVDs on their computers and on some stereos.

Originally posted by Gackt
Maybe they’re doing something like… suing because they can’t make lawful backups of the CDs?

Same excuse for ROMs so doing it isn’t compleatly illegal…
The thing is that you can sugar coat it and call them backups, but in reality, we all know that 95% of the people are copying CD’s for friends/distribution

Their case is based on, as Nulani said, copy protection preventing CDs and stuff from even playing on some players (PCs, car stereos, etc.). I don’t know about you, but when I’m doing computer work I like to have music play, but I don’t want to have to lug a stereo aorund to listen to music when the pC is capable of playings CDs normally. Also, it is just more effiecient to play it on the computer. However, if I can’t even play something I bought, I’m gonna be pretty pissed. In fact, I don’t even own a stereo since I do just play stuff on my PC (actual CDs, not burned ones). If the RIAA won’t let me do that, then I’ve wasted some money.

Same excuse for ROMs so doing it isn’t compleatly illegal…
The thing is that you can sugar coat it and call them backups, but in reality, we all know that 95% of the people are copying CD’s for friends/distribution

Same logic could be used for buying a car. It’d be like putting some device in a car that kept you from exceedign 15mph. Yes 15, because the speed of most parking lots is 15mph, so in order to keep you from speeding, they’re gonna limit how fast your car can go since most people speed all the time and that is illegal. It basically makes the car almost useless just to follow the law.

Haha, this gives me an idea. My Nickelback CD is Copy Controlled, but they also state “Compatible With… PC MS Windows 95, Pentium 2 233 MHz, 64 MB RAM +”. They don’t mention anything about it installing it’s own personal player on your computer.

You know, some people still record CDs to tape too, for their cars if they only have a tape deck… sure, they can just record it through the stereo, but what if they only have, like… an old tape player/recorder and a computer with a CD drive? Um… well, actually this doesn’t have any relevance… but… yeah, I’m done.

Originally posted by BlackMagetyDeath
You know, some people still record CDs to tape too, for their cars if they only have a tape deck… sure, they can just record it through the stereo, but what if they only have, like… an old tape player/recorder and a computer with a CD drive? Um… well, actually this doesn’t have any relevance… but… yeah, I’m done.

Get a converter, they’re only about twenty bucks. You plug it into your tape deck and on the other end hook a portable CD player.

Well, not me personally (I’ve got a big summabitch), but I’m sure the little scenario I presented exists. But… what if, say… you don’t have a portable CD player? HaHA… what’d I win?

Originally posted by Cybercompost
Get a converter, they’re only about twenty bucks. You plug it into your tape deck and on the other end hook a portable CD player.
20 bucks? I can get an adapter and power supply for only 15 Canadian.

What the fuck? You bought a Nickleback CD? Dear god why?

Originally posted by Infonick
Same logic could be used for buying a car. It’d be like putting some device in a car that kept you from exceedign 15mph. Yes 15, because the speed of most parking lots is 15mph, so in order to keep you from speeding, they’re gonna limit how fast your car can go since most people speed all the time and that is illegal. It basically makes the car almost useless just to follow the law.

I wouldn’t exactly call that the same logic, but I believe that you should be able to listen to CDs on a computer, however, I wouldn’t blame the record company if they put copywrite protection on the disc to prevent people from copying it. Its just good buisness sence to do that AS you wouldn’t want to lose money on people copying and distributing CDs to all their friends. A lawsuit such as this says to me “hey, we want to steal your music, but we can’t copy it because of the protection you put on it, therefore give us your money”. Thats insane

I can understand where they’re coming from but how many “copies” do you need? Call me the stupidest person on planet but I think $20 a CD isn’t asking for much, considering all the work that goes into them. People who think otherwise are just plain greedy.

Originally posted by BlueMageOne
I wouldn’t exactly call that the same logic, but I believe that you should be able to listen to CDs on a computer, however, I wouldn’t blame the record company if they put copywrite protection on the disc to prevent people from copying it. Its just good buisness sence to do that AS you wouldn’t want to lose money on people copying and distributing CDs to all their friends. A lawsuit such as this says to me “hey, we want to steal your music, but we can’t copy it because of the protection you put on it, therefore give us your money”. Thats insane

Yes, but the technology they use prevents some from even playing in computers period. I’m not even talking about copying.

Originally posted by BahamutXero
I can understand where they’re coming from but how many “copies” do you need? Call me the stupidest person on planet but I think $20 a CD isn’t asking for much, considering all the work that goes into them. People who think otherwise are just plain greedy.

Exactly!

Originally posted by BlueMageOne
Exactly!

There is a God! Somebody actually agrees with me! You don’t know how happy you just made me Blue Mage :yipee:.