Symphony of the Night

I bought a copy on ebay and received it Friday. I haven’t gotten to play until today. I just wanted to take this opportunity to say how much I love this game already! Seriously, I think these adventure-type Castlevania games are much better for me than the platformers… also, I love the music! Totally awesome.

Anyway, that’s all. :smiley:

SotN’s soundtrack is one of the best. The game overall has a very nice esthetic.

SoTN is one of my favourite games on the PS. Sure, it wasn’t too challenging, but the music, level and monster designs, and the sheer amount of ownage Alucard can dish out just made it awesome.

<3 SotN…I love the broad range of weaponry with special moves n’ stuff, exploring the castles, and hunting for special items. 'Tis fun. :3

SotN was pretty good. I liked Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow a lot better, but SotN was really good, especially for when it came out. Good to hear you’re enjoying the game!

Also, no matter what anyone, Anyone, ANYONE, A N Y O N E tells you…ALWAYS use the Ghost Familiar, except for at the times where you literally have to use a different one (there’s only like one or two times like that, though). Ghosty (as I call it) is TOTALLY the best familiar. Totally.

If you come back here to post a “This game was fun, but man it was waaaaay too short”, be not afraid, the game isn’t over yet.

SotN was pretty good. I liked Aria of Sorrow and Dawn of Sorrow a lot better, but SotN was really good, especially for when it came out. Good to hear you’re enjoying the game!

Also, no matter what anyone, Anyone, ANYONE, A N Y O N E tells you…ALWAYS use the Ghost Familiar, except for at the times where you literally have to use a different one (there’s only like one or two times like that, though). Ghosty (as I call it) is TOTALLY the best familiar. Totally.

I havent played Down of Sorrow, but Aria of sorrow seemed to take some things from SOTN. 1: various weapons and equipment types
2: Hallways between levels
3: Im pretty sure Arikado is Alucard
4: protagonist has white hair
5: both games were awesome, though AOS was way too short.

But seriously, use the sword, man! the ghost at a certain level gives you 8HP every time it deals damage, but as the sword grows up, it becomes cooler looking, stronger, and eventually drops the Sword Familiar Sword! This sword gets stronger as your sword familiar levels up (but you cant use both simultaneously; youre just using the familiar as a sword) and when the familiar is at level 99 it is the strongest weapon ever! and it gets the Sword Brothers spell, which besides damaging everything on screen helps you get over 200.1% of the castle map cleared (im at 200.15% or something like that).

I didn’t think the visuals or the music was as good in AoS.

I second SG.

Also, I think that they sort of … borrowed ideas from SotN’s music when making AoS’s – the “opening level” themes and “clock tower” themes in particular.

And I want a DS <s>emulator</s> and DoS. T.T

I haven’t played SotN, but I’ve watched my friend play it.

… there’s also this funny story about when she let me play when I watched the first time, and I fell down a bridge. I expected Alucard to die for my mistake. Not to be confronted by a huge, blue, flying skull with red eyes.
My reaction, as the seasoned gamer I pride myself to be?

“AIEEEE GET IT AWAY FROM ME DIEDIEDIEDIE!!” bashes buttons in blind panic until it dies - while my friend falls off the sofa in hysterics

Apparently I have a phobia for gigantic floating skulls.

Anyway… my favorite part of this game has to be the mediocre script which becomes hysterical thanks to the atrocious voice-acting. The final scene where Alucard delivers his “You lost in the moment you lost the ability to love” gibe, and Dracula replies, in a pained groan, “Ugh… sarcasm!” is simply beyond words.

And I SWEAR the librarian says “Heeheehee! Like you!” and not “Thank you!” when you buy stuff from him. ::dekar!::

The greatest Castvania of all time, it is.

I played AoS a while back - it was my reintroduction to the series from my NES days, and I sorely needed it. Seriously, this type of game just rocks so much more than the older ones. (or maybe I’m still sore from my brother laughing at me every time I fell off a platform as Grant in Castlevania 3, ha ha)

I got the Fairy and Bat familiars last night, but it took me forever to figure out how to use them! SG, what makes the Ghost so great to you?

You can turn into mist (an ability you get later) and let the Ghost kill all the bosses

Oh, and it’s cute.

Speaking of mist… I can turn into mist, but I can’t seem to stay mist for very long. Is there some reason for that that I’m missing?

You gotta get the ‘Power of Mist’ before you can hang around like that for very long. And after that relic there’s…well, I won’t spoil it. :3

It sucks alot of magic energy, that and you need to hold the button to stay as mist.

This game is still WAY too shot for my personal taste. But anyway to each his own tastes I guess. I much prefer Arria of Sorrow and Curse of Darkness personaly. Seem’s Alucard is gonna be back in the next PS2 Castlevania form what I’ve heard. That is, if they do make another PS2 one before the PS3 is finaly released.

… SolarAngel, look at ClothHat’s post in this very thread. Number 6, I believe.

I know, I saw it. And yes don’t worry I know about the second castle, but even with that its still way too short for my taste.

Ah, I see.