Surrealism in IoG

To me, IoG was one unusual game, without even really trying to be. It was just loaded with surrealism. Here are some examples I could think of, starting with a couple of obvious ones.

  • The flute does damage comparable to the broadsword.

  • The darkspace in an otherwise plausible town setting.

  • The adrift on a raft sequence, which, as I mentioned in another thread, is the most blatant and extensive sexual allusion in all of computer gaming.

  • The suit of armor outside of Cara’s room that tells you “I love you”.

  • The scene where the pig walks into the fire and kills itself. On the surface, it looked like it was supposed to be a sad scene, but the circumstances were so absurd, I couldn’t help but find it hilarious.

Also, the game doesn’t seem to take the idea of death very seriously. So, does anyone have any others that they can think of, or care to speculate on the significance of the ones I mentioned?

I…o…G?

is lost whats IoG?

Illusion of Gaia, the game that comes after SoulBlazer and before Terranigma in the trilogy.

oh… been a while since i played it (and never beat it too boot), what i remember was a little surreal, i suppose.

You know, I just started playing that game awhile ago again. It’s one of my faves.

And that suit of armor is a knight, you know, not just armor.

Originally posted by Valkyrie Esker
[b]You know, I just started playing that game awhile ago again. It’s one of my faves.

And that suit of armor is a knight, you know, not just armor. [/b]
I don’t think it’s that obvious. Plus, it talks with the pink-magenta colored voice.

EDIT: Also, why the heck would a knight tell the main character that he loves him!?

Duh, cause he is gay.

That wouldn’t make any sense, though. At least the empty suit of armor makes sense, in a weird sort of way. Of course, maybe the “knight” is talking to the girl next to him.

I did not bother to think about all those details and just played the same for what it is: fantasy.

Originally posted by Sir Percival
I did not bother to think about all those details and just played the same for what it is: fantasy.

For IoG in particular, if you don’t play for the details and significance, the game is not worth playing at all.

Originally posted by Ivan
Of course, maybe the “knight” is talking to the girl next to him.

What? That’s crazy talk. next, you’ll be telling me that Bush is an idiot! [/sarcasm]

Hmmm. I should go play this.

Originally posted by Ivan
For IoG in particular, if you don’t play for the details and significance, the game is not worth playing at all.

I disagree. You have your reasons for playing the game and I have mine. I enjoyed the story and accepted ‘surrealistic’ elements of Illusion of Gaia as fantasy. That is all.

You obviously have no idea what surrealism is.

Cybercompost, you should find a better way to word what you wrote, because the way that it’s written right now, it sounds as if it could be directed at me.

Look, if you want Surreal, go look at some Salvador Dali works. THAT’s Surreal. IoG was just fantasy, with some interesting points to it. Surreal means really, really freaky, which IoG was not.

:thud:

Originally posted by Valkyrie Esker
Look, if you want Surreal, go look at some Salvador Dali works. THAT’s Surreal. IoG was just fantasy, with some interesting points to it. Surreal means really, really freaky, which IoG was not.

Surreal can get really, really freaky for the more extreme examples. The examples that I listed from IoG were ones that nevertheless fully qualify as examples of surrealism, even if not on as pervasive a scale as things like Dali.

EDIT: Though I agree that the “knight” would not be an example of surrealism if you think that it is a knight and not just a suit of armor.

Originally posted by Ivan
Cybercompost, you should find a better way to word what you wrote, because the way that it’s written right now, it sounds as if it could be directed at me.

It was.

Even a quick search on yahoo and dictionary.com proves that these elements are not even vaguely surreal.

Surrealism: A 20th-century literary and artistic movement that attempts to express the workings of the subconscious and is characterized by fantastic imagery and incongruous juxtaposition of subject matter.

Literature or art produced in this style.

Surreal: Having qualities attributed to or associated with surrealism: “Even with most facilities shut down… a few mavericks managed to slip into the park to sample the almost surreal emptiness before the shutdown ended.” (Peter H. King).

Having an oddly dreamlike quality.

http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/s/surrealism.html

http://www.bway.net/~monique/history.htm

EDIT: The knight was clearly a knight. Not only that, but he was talking to another women if I remember clearly, not you. He was not facing you.