Super Mario World

Ok, I’m replaying super mario world, and I’m stuck at those “bonus” levels, I beat the first one, but now I’m stuck at the one with no land. You know, with all the baseball throwing guys, and you gotta use that item that inflates mario like a balloon. Is there a way to do this with Yoshi, or maybe an easier/alternative way?

I assume you mean the Special world.

Sorry, there’s no real trick to it. This is probobly one of the hardest levels in the game.

Damn you, Tubular! Only once in 10 tries can I ever beat you!

Well, the way I see it, you could try keeping close to the bottom of thescreen for awhile. That should help, I think.

If you have a blue yoshi you may pick one of those flying turtles and fly for a while with it.

The level itself isn’t as hard as it seems. There is a “path” in the screen that you can follow which you allow you to go untouched until you reach firm land on the other side.

It’s freaking impossible without save states. Yes, get a blue yoshi, and prepare to try many, many times.

I’ve done it, but it’s hard as hell. The only real way is just to find the replacement balloons and work from there. But the blue yoshi is invaluable in those levels. You can fly over just about all of them.

I only did it in the SNES version with Game Genie using the Ultra Jump code.

I never knew you could use Yoshi in that stage. But still I prefer the good old-fashioned, Dear-God-this-is-so-annoying-I-want-to-break-the-controller way.

I did it on the Super NES the normal way many years ago. I forget how. It took so many tries (like 30).

Originally posted by Flintedge
I did it on the Super NES the normal way many years ago. I forget how. It took so many tries (like 30).

Yeah, same here. I think I used to bounce off the ball throwing guys so that they would charge off their little platforms. It can be done without cheating or a blue yoshi though.

I did it. On the SNES. If you go under the ball throwing guys, I think they try to run after you and jump in the hole or something. Take replacements baloons, keep low.

It’s not THAT hard, really. You just need to learn where the Chucks don’t throw their balls. 8)

Heh heh heh…balls. Heh heh…

You can’t use blue Yoshi as there’s no koopas in that level that you can reach without losing the Yoshi, and you can’t fly as there’s a ceiling right off the top of the screen, you have to do it with the ballon. I hate that level.

And don’t doubt me, I’ve beaten the entire game several (hundred) times perfectly in one sitting. :stuck_out_tongue: Well, more times then most.

I never realized that people had so much trouble on this stage.

When you hit the block that makes a new balloon power-up appear, don’t grab it right away. Let it float for a while, and just as Mario’s deflating (he’ll start alternating between balloon-mode and normal), grab the balloon. This should help give you the extra seconds that are valuable for dodging the chucks and making it to the end.

It’s really not that hard with practice, although I’ve done that level so many times in 12 years that I don’t really remember how hard it was when I first tried.

Well, I only play SMW occasionally, and I can’t remember if I ever beat the game completely. I mean, I’ve gottn the Special Worlds beat, I’ve got all the secret Boards, I got Soda Lake (no easy task), but I have YET to find the entrance to the Final Fortress in Bowser’s domain thingy that lets you use the Back door.

I remember getting to the VoB Fortress, (sorry, don’t remember how. Just wander around VoB Stage 2 forever and maybe you’ll find it) and spendning about 60 lives to get thru the fortress. It was THAT hard back then

Well, I only play SMW occasionally, and I can’t remember if I ever beat the game completely. I mean, I’ve gottn the Special Worlds beat, I’ve got all the secret Boards, I got Soda Lake (no easy task), but I have YET to find the entrance to the Final Fortress in Bowser’s domain thingy that lets you use the Back door.

Well, when you get to Valley of Bowser 2, when you reach the final area where the yellow rock stuff starts rising up to the top nonstop, there’s a part where you have to use it to climb up on the ceiling and run to the far left of the map. There’s a key and keyhole at the end.

I did that level single-handed (literally) dozens of times when I was 13. I said it before, there is a path you may follow in which nothing will hit you.

Originally posted by Valkyrie Esker
The Level before Soda lake isn’t that hard, if you just run and jump with a cape and yoshi and keep holding to the right before the buzz saws (both at the beginning and at the end of the stage), it will always be timed perfectly where you’ll bounce on a saw and never fall off of the bottom. That’s a fun little quirk.