Summoning in Final fantasy...

FFTactics:

Ramza - Knight - two swords
Custom character 1 - Knight - two swords
Custom Character 2 - Summoner - 1/2 MP ((makes spells cost HALF mp! fancy that…))
Custom Character 3 - Summoner - 1/2 MP
Custom Character 4 - Summoner - 1/2 MP

This combo works AMAZINGLY well if you like to play with magic… Oh… And the half mp thing is the only way to make summoning worth the time and effort…

I could have easily beat the game with this method, but having two swords on a knight was too powerful so I have my full party do that towards the end.

Except mustiado… who snipes as usual.

It’s all relative. One of the reasons I like FF is that every game is different in some way, like maps or jobs, while keeping some things similar, like magic and the ATB. Each game requires a slightly different method of play. I requires lots of leveling, while VIII lets the player destroy everything with the power of your GFs. Summons are the same. Though similar throughout the series, in each installment they are approached in a different way, which forces the player to use them in a different light. In V, they can almost be treated like Black magic, while in VII, a character usually does not have the MP to cast it more than a few times. Their usefulness depends on how the player aproaches the system, and how that player uses the system.

Of course, most of you already know this, but…

Lol, yes I can. You’re human, it’s your job.

Val happens to be exceptionally stupid though, especially that comment.

And FF8 may or may not be the best, but it is definately not rivaled by FF4. Not even close.

Lol, yes I can. You’re human, it’s your job.

By that definition, you’re just as stupid as I am. In which case bandying about insults is about the most pointless thing anyone can do. Accept that people can disagree with you, and get on with your life.

Val happens to be exceptionally stupid though, especially that comment.

If you want to have a discussion, feel free to do so. Throwing insults is bad for both the one doing it and the one receiving it. I’d recommend you not insult people for no reason, unless you would like to be banned again.

If you say so. I hardly take a threat from you seriously. And I don’t believe I implied I wasn’t stupid, so your comments are moot.

Hades, stop arguing with your opinion as if it’s godsent or something :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not arguing with my opinion >>;

Do what I do; don’t take his insults seriously. If someone’s going to have a discussion with me, and they’re going to resort to name calling to get their point across, then they aren’t interested in listening to me, so I don’t bother listening to them. And don’t argue back with him either, because that only keeps him going.

I wasn’t threatening you, I was merely informing you of the possible repercussions of your actions.

And if you think that you’re stupid and that everyone in the human race is stupid, then you calling someone in specific stupid is obviously done for no other reason than to get her angry. There’s a word for that as regards messageboards, and it’s called “trolling”.

There’s a little button called the shift key which when pressed at the same time as a letter capitalizes it. It’s even located in two convieniant places.

I agree with Izlude that Final Fantasy Tactics had some good summons.

I almost never use summons in FF games, in fact, it’s pretty rare that I use non-healing magic. I don’t know why, I just like the straightforward approach better in FF games.

FFIV: I used them extensively when I got Rydia back until her magic caught up (usually I stop using the elemental ones when I get the lv3 spells, and I stop using Titan when I get Bahamut, stop using 'mut when I get Nuke)

FFV: Doublecast summoner blue mage set on a Mimic, burns thru MP like fire burns pinetree branches, but dayum, it leaves craters.

FFVI: The FIGHT command and the character-specific commands started to become more prevalant, and my use of magic remained fairly high, but summon use took a massive drop EXCEPT for a select few: Phantom (nothing like level boosting with an invisible untouchable save by magic party) Palidor (I like Jump, damnit) and sometimes Carbuncle.

FFVII: Used summons when the element went against the boss’ weakness or a pack of monster’s weaknesses, otherwise, useless. I’ll settled on chopping them down with FIGHT or Magic.

FFVIII: Summons are a needless pain to fingers, Magic is worthless to cast unless you boost the magic stat when you’re better off boosting strength and beating the TAR out of things, statuses jamming something neat (Like DEATH) to your weapon helps. I just kept Squall at yellow HP and Irving too and limited the game to death.

FFIX: Summons make Garnet and Eiko not suck in raw combat, but that MP is better spent on healing more often than not.

FFX: Meatshields. Boss’ about to do his wtfpwn blast? Summon Valefor or some crap. Let him bite the bullet.

FFIII: Summons kinda rot until you get Summoner and Sage. I tried using Caller/Conjurer for a while, but found myself relying on other jobs more often so I just ditched it. But once you get Summoner/Sage, I used summons to blow through a lot of random battles, and used Bahamut to blow through the bosses.

FFIV: Give and take through the whole game. Summons would start useful, get overshadowed by magic, but then I’d get new summons which blew away my spells, but then got overshadowed by magic… in the end, I used Bahamut a lot on bosses, but stuck to spells like Virus for random mobs.

FFV: Summons are great fun, and much better than magic at random slaughter. Though it was only late game stuff like Bahamut that finally overshadowed Black Magic in my mind.

FFVI: Espers are wonky. At best you’d get four summons per fight (unless you used Slots or that random Magicite item). While those four summons could be used to pull myself out of some nasty jams, I found that late in the game I used them to support my fighters (hooray for Golem and Palidor!) than I did to kick ass.

FFVII: Best mob killing ever. Rough on the MP, but so much fun.

FFVIII: I love FFVIII. FFVIII is Teh Win in my opinion. I used summons fairly often, but not overly often as they took away kills and thus affected my SeeD level. Besides, a few good limits are usually enough to handle any problem.

FFIX: Summons were useful if you knew how to exploit them. Before I figured out that the gems in the inventory affected damage, they sucked and I never used them. Once I started building up my gem stocks, my summons got very useful, though again mostly for mob killing. In a boss fight, Garnet/Eiko were better as healers. Vivi could kick enough ass on his own.

FFX: Yuna is awesome. Summons are awesome… though the dynamic is different. They’re now big monster killers rather than mob killers (unless I had an overdrive ready). A mob would waste a summon way too fast.

FFXI: Haven’t played it.

FFT: Amazing power… if you can stand the wait. Golem rocks though, and I always had my uberMage with summon if for no other reasons than Golem and Bahamut/Zodiac.

FFTA: Standard mob killing magic. Not spectacular, not useless.

yeah, the Summons that didn’t do damge (directly), but helped your party instead were the only ones I used. phantom, Golem, and palidor- those are the onyl oens I ever used.

oh, and Alexander- because, dood. He’s Alexander. he Rawks.

Well, as far as I have noticed, Summoning is more of an attack-all move. FF4 summons were more useful when you needed to attack the enemy with a spread out level 3 spell without wasting more MP. Remember that when a spell was casted to all targets (enemies/allies), some of its power was lost. So, a Fire 3 spell, for example, would behave similarly to a Fire 2 spell cast on a single area. However, not all Summons were target-all, or of an element that was available as a Black Magic spell.

FF5 summons followed a similar trend as FF4, with the exception of adding more Summons. Having a Summoner or somebody who could cast Summon Magic is often useful. Yet, the job system focus of the game slashed some of the Summons usefulness. 

FF6 Espers, on the other hand, were more strategically inclined. Only being able to be casted once, they were rarely used. Yet, this game featured much more summons than in any other game, and most of the effects of such were of great use. Regen all, inviz all, image all, reflect all, Mute all, Muddle all, turn into items, allow everybody to jump…it made players think when to use them.

FF7 Summons are always useful. This game added more customization to Summoning, such as casting the spell twice, 4 times with lesser power, at the moment of dying, with more power, etc. Eventually, all summons except Knights of the Round lose their usefulness...but then again, most of the spells do lose their usefulness too.

FF8 GFs became way too useful. They could get some of the characters hits, and the Boost property of some summons, added more usefulness to them. Especially since magic was more needed for stat boosting and other stuff.

FF9 summons sadly lost much of their power to Vivi and his Black Magic, Steiner and his Sword Magic, and Quina with its Blue Magic. Ark was pretty cool, but that "send weapons instead of appearing" slashed most of their usefulness.

Now, FFX aeons...personal bodyguards designed to fight for Yuna, IMO. They became even more useful than ever, especially since even the low-power summons have their usefulness. Even after getting Anima and the Magus Sisters, summons such as Valefor remained useful. The elemental focus and the lust for overkilling added to their usefulness.

FFT summons play a useful role at certain parts of the game, becoming useful spells because of their range. Of course, level 3 and 4 spells still dwarf the summons power, and spellcasters weren't too useful in the long run anyways.

Finally, FFT:A summons…more power added, could be doublecasted, but only one race between all could use them. Then again, Black Magic could be used only by some races too. And the Totemas are way too overpowering…

Whew, that took a lot of time, but that covers up the differences. And about the Mythril power…I base myself upon the Chrono Cross version. In which other game do you get easily explained that Mythril is a byproduct of silver (Ag47, meaning 47 silver atoms per molecule). Well, DnD also covers up Mithril in its own way (lightweight, strong as steel), so being weaker than Gold is quite explainable. Then again, who’d use gold as an armor material, considering how scarce it is, and that its usefulness depends on adding silver and steel to make it stronger?

FFT summons play a useful role at certain parts of the game, becoming useful spells because of their range. Of course, level 3 and 4 spells still dwarf the summons power, and spellcasters weren’t too useful in the long run anyways.

Spellcasters not useful? Are you joking? My mages could clear the board without getting hit! Even Orlandu would have difficulty against them!

(My Ramza was capable of wiping the board clean. But I only ever used it if someone had Excalibur, because otherwise, the battle would be a draw. =P 999 damage to every enemy is quite useful, no?)

No, the only thing I noticed about summons was that they kept getting ludicrously long. KoTR, I never used it. Why not? I don’t want to sit through some 15 minute animation sequence. (Yes, I know I’m exaggerating)

At least in Xenosaga, you could skip those long scenes if you wanted to.

[EDIT] And gold is ridiculously heavy, too. You’d have to be an ox to wear armor made of the stuff!

Actually Shinryu, Mages are only useful at first, later on the melee fighters can clean up the field much faster. Once you get some of the “interesting” skills (Two Swords, Counter, Teleport/Move +3), equipment (Excalibur, Save the Queen, Ragnarok, Chaos Blade, Chirijiraden) and characters (Agrias, Orlandu, Beowulf, Worker 8) you can clean up anything (And I mean anything, as in THE END in Deep Dungeon) in just a few turns.

And no, there’s no way Orlandu can have trouble against a Mage. Their charge time, regardless of what you do, will still give him enough time to get over there and kill him/her or at least move out of the way.