Summer Reading

Ah, summer. A time of BBQ’s, relaxing at the beach, and of course, reading! Summer has always been a time for reading “trash”, not high literature or anything special, just quick fun reads, maybe even stuff you’d never want to be caught dead reading but you’re interested anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m reading:

The Legend of Drizz’t by RA Salavatore - Y’know, for all the flak I’ve heard him get, it’s been suprisingly good thus far. Highly cliched and predictable, but still fun.

The Crystal Doors by Kevin J Anderson - These are probably kids books or something, but I’ve always liked Anderson, and the first one wasn’t so bad, so I thought’d I’d finish the series. Kiddie, but cute.

Star Wars - When I was younger, I read pretty much every Star Wars novel in existence. I haven’t been keeping up so much, so I think I’ll see what’s been happening. Maybe I’ll reread the Thrawn Trilogy, definately one of the better trilogies.

And maybe some other stuff I can’t think of at the moment. What are you guys reading?

The Michigan Rules of Evidence. The 4th-6th Amendments. Case opinions by shitty writers in state courts. :frowning: It’s amazing how having to read all day takes the fun out of reading everything else. I’ll try to re-read some Shakespeare, anyway.

If you’re looking for R.A. Salvatore books, the Underdark Trilogy is where he’s at his best. The Underdark is where his weird imagination and hyper-morality can really shine, without having to dull themselves down to some semblance of normalcy. In my opinion, his other books read like pale imitations of Margaret Weis’s Dragonlance series.

Is it summer already? Doesn’t feel like it. X-X

I go through books pretty fast. For the last few months I’ve been re-reading the entire Discworld oeuvre (I have about 25 of the books - they take up a whole shelf). I’ve also started purchasing Jasper Fforde’s Thursday Next books with every intention of reading them for a third time.

I just picked up Amulet Book 1. It’s gorgeous - an American comic version of Studio Ghibli - and I’m truly looking forward to the rest; the first book had too much of a “series beginning” vibe.

Not much else on the horizon right now.

I’ve got to read the Dark Tower series, along with the upcoming D&D 4e sourcebooks coming out in June.

Adding to that, some kind of fantasy series that’s up here, translated name being something roughly the Emerald Knights. Not sure how it is, so I’m gonna snag the books from a friend and read 'em. Or try.

Just bought Vindicated by Jose Canseco. Didn’t even know it was out yet.

Last new book I read was “Way of the Peaceful Warrior”. I’m feeling an itch to read spiritual/inspirational stuff like that right now.

I dunno how it is up in Canada, but down ehre in new York, I should not be wearing a sweater in the middle of fucking May. Fuck Global Warming.

I’ve been rereading some of Piers Anthony’s stuff. Mostly the Apprentice Adept, and the Incarnations of Immortality series. Definitely awesome stuff, when he can leave the smut out… which is impossible. Also rereading his book Firefly, for reasons I still can;t comprehend. This book is fucked up.

I’m thinking of re-reading the Chronicles of Narnia (have that big, fat book of it). I was reading The Kite Runner, but then someone stole it from me.

I’m going to try and read a bunch of Carl Hiaasen over the summer. (The great thing about his books is that they come in handy portable paperback form, so when it’s warm enough to go biking outside, I can shove a book in my pocket and go off in search of scenic reading locales.)

Also, I’d like to read The Shadow of the Wind and Water for Elephants, whose authors both escape me right now, but are supposed to be good in an above-my-age-group sort of way.

Right now, my attention is being thoroughly absorbed by A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, not to be confused with the similarly-named book by Stephen Hawking. While the subject matter is similar- a scientific dissection of, uh, nearly everything- the tone is vastly different. This book is more warm and humorous, and an utterly captivating read. Still, it takes a looong time to slog through it, and I probably won’t be done with it for a week. (Because, you know, a week is a looong time.)

Dark Tower at the moment.

Sensing an overload of fantasy/sci-fi in this house. If you want to try something weird and different this summer, and you like crazy experimental shit (like my posts for example), I’d reccomend “House of Leaves” by Mark Z. Danielewski or “Blindness” by Jose Saramago. Not exactly easy reading for the beach, but not like any of us pale dorks are going to the beach this summer anyway.

I’m presently reading Slavic Sorcery: Shamanic Journey of Initiation by Kenneth Johnson

Well, we’ve got 81F/27C here and a couple of days ago it was even hotter. Though, somehow, I managed to catch a cold.

Exams mean putting off reading. Later on I hope to finish reading the books of the “A Song of Fire and Ice” and the Malazan series.

In my current books-to-read list, I’ve got some Kafka flash fiction, a couple of Jap novels/poets, Terry Pratchett’s Small Gods, Sexy’s Antony & Cleopatra and some other poetry (btw somewhere in my backlog are your recommendations too, Zep).

When I go to an isle (i.e. on holiday) I usually get a book with me, read other people’s books, and grab a couple of Tom Robbins from a local fest. That’s life.

I used to read a lot of novels back in the 80’s- then my local bookstore closed down. By the time a new one opened (a Border’s) I had fallen off the habit; even the Harry Potter novels didn’t lure me back (I prefer the movies, even though I know they’re a condensed variation.) The instant gratification offered by the Net might have something to do with it too.

Oh, but I used to love anything by Salvatore; one of the best fantasy writers I ever read (he was the first to use a Dark Elf as a hero; they’re all over the place now, but Drizzt was THE first). And btw, the Drizzt novels debuted before Dragonlance (and are much, much better.)

I also liked Piers Anthony: his Xanth novels were a riot, though they got old after a while. His Incarnations of Immortality series were also a favorite; part-silliness, part thought-provoking ideas. Never read anything quite like it again. Ironically, I never bought the last two parts (starring The Devil and God, respectively!) because back then I was still Catholic and I thought it was blasphemy! By the time I grew out of such silly fears (really, it’s just FICTION, it’s like being afraid of video game violence) the store was closed. However, I DID eventually get the novels- as a gift from VE, for which I’ll be eternally grateful.
:biggrin:

And the Thrawn novels were also the best Star Wars stuff I’ve ever read.

Will I ever get into reading novels again? Maybe when I have more disposable cash…

God Val, Firefly? I couldn’t bring myself to finish it. Not sure if it’s even bad, but erotica wasn’t to my tastes when I accidentally picked it up from the library with a bunch of his other books in the seventh grade. Maybe its approach was too subtle.

The Adept and Incarnation series, on the other hand, I remember as magnificent when I read them.

I’ve been chipping away at a few different books - Hypatia of Alexandria: Mathematician and Martyr, nonfiction about and ancient intellectual. I started A Game of Thrones of the Song of Fire and Ice series, but feel no compulsion to finish its last third. It’s all political intrigue and little fantasy, and I’ve read so much of that by now that I tend to grow bored easily. I’ve been a bigger fan of feel-good fantasy of the Mercedes Lackey or even RA Salvatore’s type for the past couple of years. I also have a stack of Smithsonians and Scientific Americans from the past few months that I’m whittling down day by day.

Mainly, i read this book and try to figure out what crack the publishers had to be on to let THIS book get published. I mean, jesus! You would think the, ahh, semi-graphic child sex scenes would get it off the list prety soon…

oh, I’ve also decided to go back and read some of the old classics, like the Three Musketeers, Robinson Crusoe, Treasure Island… It’s been a while sicne I’ve read these books.

I’ve been rereading some of Piers Anthony’s stuff. Mostly the Apprentice Adept, and the Incarnations of Immortality series. Definitely awesome stuff, when he can leave the smut out… which is impossible.

God yes. I used to love Piers Anthony, but the ridiculous amount of graphic sex thrown around absolutely everywhere started to disgust me. Even his Xanth books, ostensibly for kids, are full of innuendo.
That and what I increasingly realized was a robotic writing style. (Problem-solution-problem-solution.) I can’t bring myself to pick up any of his stuff any more.

If no one’s seen him yet, try looking for a little-known author named John Moore. He writes relatively short, very understated fairy-tale spoofs which are whimsical, smart and funny.

Terry Pratchett - Thief of Time

Terry Pratchett - Guards! Guards!

Terry Pratchett - Hogfather

Terry Pratchett - Equal Rites

Yeah I picked up some more Discworld books >_>

Girl, (Nearly) 16, Absolute Torture by Sue Limb || I may or may not continue to read this one if the main character gets any more whiny.

Sweeney Todd (the penny dreadfuls) || Yay, gore… 8D

Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe || This one wasn’t very long, but the word usage was kinda hard to grasp.

A Princess of Mars
by Edgar Rice Burroughs || Looked interesting, so I thought I’d pick it up.

Bride of Darkness by Margery Lawrence || Cheapass paperback I got at the local DAV store…honestly, with a title like that, how can I resist? :stuck_out_tongue:

Plan to read The Book Thief and Small Gods.