Suggestions.

I just won a few books so I need to pick them. I 've been thinking about it and I want Animal Farm and 1984. However, I don’t know which version available at penguin classics (the only publisher I can claim my books from) I should get. And I should be able to get a 3rd book too but I don’t know what. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

For example, I need to know why should I or shoudn’t I get the student edition of 1984 over the “classic edition”?

I like books like Crime and Punishment and the Jungle, I have a bunch of shakesperian plays - Othello, Macbeth, King Lear, Richard III, Hamlet and others( I really like Shakespear). I also really liked the Shipping News by Annie Proulx, so suggestions along those lines are very welcome. I also liked a Farewell to Arms by Hemingway. I’m looking your way SK.

I hate the victorian era.

A really good book I’ve read is Watership Down, also The Alchemist. You can’t go wrong with either.

Animal Farm is a great novel. Have fun reading it. If you want some suggestions for other magnificant books, feel free to PM me, <i>comrade</i>.

I have the Alchemist. I even wrote an essay on it. It wasn’t bad!

The point is to say it now, Comrad.

Alice & Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Moby Dick by Herman Melvile
The Elements of Style by Strunk and White

Sinistral, actually, I’d PM you this, but I’ll reccomend it to everyone.

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. is a magnificant novel. I just finished reading it, and is awesome. Some other books are Neuromancer, by William Gibson, a science fiction novel with lots of twists and turns, and the plot is so thick, you could but it with a hammer.

Try The Hot Zone, by Richard Preston (I think). It’s moreso a journal about science and technology, but I simply loved it. I also suggest the Redwall series.

Slaughterhouse Five might work.

Has anyone read Lolita?

Personally I would suggest maybe some books of Shakespearean poetry or any of his other plays. I’d suggest against Slaughter House Five as it’s rather stupid and…odd to say the least.

Jango, you’re just saying that because you hate me, and want to contradict what I say.

SHF is an awesome novel. Jango is right in it being odd, as it’s about time-travel, sort of. But, it involved World War 2 in it as well. I found it exceptionally good. But, I am biased to science-fiction. There is a lot of death, however. So it goes.

Get Alice and Wonderland, and Through the Looking Glass. Much better then the movie, and as quotable as Monty Python or Douglas Adams. Try to get one illustrated by Tenniel. He’s the original, and the best.

I’m not saying it because I hate you.

And it’s not about Time Travel. It seems like it is…but then it just gets plain stupid after a while. The whole “unhinged in time” concept is easy to deal with until he starts going on about fucking a famous actor woman on another planet. While being watched by BEINGS FROM ANOTHER DIMENSION! That and the whole jumping from point in his life can get confusing.

I have the Alchemist and had to write a report on it too! Hey Sinistral, did you go, by any chance, to USDHS(University of San Diego High School)? I’m not sure where Dana point is in CA. Yeah, its a good book.

I suggest something, but what is your preference when reading? I tend to read alot in different subjects, so give me a gnere and I’ll give you a good book.

Well, I’d love to suggest a few books, but I don’t know all that many from Penguin classics. I think Brave New World was published by them, but I can’t say I recommend it. The author was a sick, sick man. (Aldous Huxley)

Too bad you didn’t win these books from DAW. Then I’d suggest The Black/White/Silver Gryphon, (Three books) and… well, I’d just say to look for Mercedes Lackey. Best author ever. (Of english novels)

But, if you’re interested in something written by a sick man, and has somehow become a classic, I would go with Brave New World.

Hehe, I’ll spoil the ending by quoting the last sentence.

Makes no sense? It will. ^_~

(200 posts! Not much of a milestone, I know, but ehh.)

Others are any of the Brian Jacques’ books. They might seem a bit childesh, but they’re pretty good. They incluse the Redwall series and the Cast Aways of the Flying Dutchman series.

The text should be the same in both editions, but one may feature more annotations or critical essays, if you like that sort of thing. I’m not sure what the distinction is; you may want to try looking both editions up on Amazon. Whatever you do, don’t get the edition that has an introduction by Christopher Hitchens, as there’s no reason to give the fucker any money, even if it isn’t your own.

Anyway, if you like Hemingway, you should read <i>The Sun Also Rises</i>, my favourite of his books. Erich Maria Remarque, a contemporary of Hemingway’s, is also a great author; I recommend <i>All Quiet on the Western Front</i> or <i>Three Comrades</i>. (I don’t think Remarque and Hemingway are published by Penguin, though.) If you liked <i>The Jungle</i>, I very strongly recommend <i>Germinal</i> by Emile Zola, which is a tremendously powerful novel about coal miners in nineteenth-century France (you could probably read it in the original French). If you liked <i>Crime and Punishment</i>, then <i>The Brothers Karamazov</i>, by the same author, is just as good. Both of those should be available from Penguin.

Since someone brought it up, I prefer <i>Brave New World</i> to <i>1984</i>. And I don’t recommend <i>Lolita</i>.

I hate Brave New World. In fact, I hate Aldous Huxley in general.

Requiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr.
Heart of Darkness Joseph Conrad
Slaughethouse 5 Kurt (however you spell his last name) Jr.
Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man James Joyce

If you’re looking for recreational reading…

Fight Club Chuck Phalniuk
Surivor Chuck Phalniuk
Any of the Bourne Books by Robert Ludlum

Redwall is good, but they’re all really short. Good reads, hard to put down, but not very complicated or sophisticated if that’s what you’re looking for.

I second Watership Down, but you can easily find that book in used book stores. It would actually fit well with 1984 though. A Handmaid’s Tale is a nice alternate dystopia, if you like the genre in general.

Hemingway is good too. I personally prefer The Old Man and the Sea though. I still need to read more of him.

Choke by Chuck Phalniuk

Johnny Got His Gun