| | |8|2| | | | | |
| | |1| | |5|4| | |
| | |3| | | | | |5|
|1|2|9|5| | | |4|3|
| | |5|4| |3|2|1|9|
</u></font>

Can anyone find the next number? I’m stumped :frowning:

Any number? Row 3, Column 9: 4

Can you explain how you got it? I’m more interested in knowing that than I am in the actual number (I have the answer to the puzzle already anyway).

You know. I wanted to give my reasoning, then I noticed I had a jump in logic and forgot about Row 1, Column 9. So, even if I am right, I can’t totally prove it. Blah. Sorry.

I’m thinking this is a “you gotta guess and go” one because I’ve tried every 3x3 square to try and fill in any missing number and I always get at least 2 spots for each number.

It doesn’t matter. There are advanced tactics to deal with those situations logically without guessing.

column 7, row3 has to be a 3. I came to this conclusion because a 3 is already in column 9, and it must be in row 3 because there is nowhere else the 3 can go for that row. That leaves us with columns 7 and 8 to possibly hold a 3. Rows 4 and 5 in column 7 must contain a 5 or 9, since they can not go in any other square. That leaves us with the one 3. Ta da! I hope this was understandable >>.

I’m not sure I follow this. If you put the 3 in Row 3, Column 8, you can still put a 3 in Row 2, Column 7, leaving Rows 4 and 5 for the 5 and 9. Yes?

Ackbar’s answer is not necessarily correct; that square could contain a 1.

This puzzle is actually only a 3 star. I feel pretty worthless for not getting it >_>;; But it is pretty tough.

Edit: Actually Cless, Ackbar is correct. The two squares below row 3 col 7 must contain 5 or 9, and since there must be a 3 in Col 7, and no other row in that column can hold it because of the 3 in row 8 col 9, it must be row 3.

Edit #2: Having said that, the new 3 doesn’t help me deduce anything else at all >_>;;;;

Edit #3: My mistake, it DOES. That 3 was very useful :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Why must they contain a 5 or 9? Can then not just as easily have (1 below) 7 or 8 and (2 below) 6 or 7?

The two colums to the right of them both already contain 5 and 9, and that 3x3 box must have a 5 and a 9.