stupid laws

being a second year law student at college i always find it interesting finding out stupid laws from different countries. In chester, england, you are allowed to shoot a welshman in the head with a cross bow if they are within the city walls after midnight*… we always used to try to get my welsh tech teacher… and if you knock on somebodies door in glasgow and ask to use the toilet by law they have to let you. There’s another one about pushing moose out of planes over canada but i think that that’s pretty much a no no everywhere. Anyone else no any good laws?

*disclaimer- this is a very old law and would not work as a defense in court… but if you’ve got a crossbow handy and some spare time on you hands… you can’t blame a person for having a hobby

In Florida (although no one cares) It is considered to be offensive to shower naked.

In Japan There is no age of consent. (Repealed 1999 - now age 13)

For more go to http://www.dumblaws.com/

And they’re all there because someone didn’t think.

In New York City, Women may go topless in public, providing it is not being used as a business

Whereas, in ocean city, It is illegal for men to go topless in the center of town

That’s what happens when your filing system goes to pot. X-D

Really? Wow, it’s worse than I thought! I thought Japan’s age of consent was 14!

I know that in New Hampshire, were I live, its illegal to pick up seaweed. Or to look up while urinating on sundays.

Much to the joy of many an old japanese businessman.

It’s illegal to tie a Giraffe to a telephone pole in Atlanta.

And the weird part is, they wouldn;t make a law about it unless someone had tried it. o_O

I know what laws are stupid, drug and alcohol laws! :stuck_out_tongue:

…how random…that has to be one of the funniest so far… where to get a giraffe…???

Its illegal to kill in public here. Seriously!

In one state its illegal to whistle under water.

In Kentucky

One may not dye a duckling blue and offer it for sale unless more than six are for sale at once.

Yet also in New York women may not go out in public wearing body hugging clothing.

I would like to see actual documentation that these laws exist, rather than a “dumb laws” site.

I’m sure that if you did some digging, you could find something like that.

The Ever Loving, Blue Eyed Snopes

It only concerns the state of Arizona, but it does make the point that many of these so called laws never actually existed.

Yeah, I suppose it’s only a matter of time before someone makes up something like “it’s illegal to pick your nose” or something like that.

most of the really stupid laws go back to the middle ages and stuff… the ones i mentioned earlier were from roman time and have not been repealed but probably wouldn’t work as a defence

A couple years ago I was watching the news and they interviewed the guys that run the Dumb Laws website. In the interview, they showed where and hwo they get their information, so I believe the laws. Plus, the site also gives the puishment and citation number so it is easy to look up the laws you don’t belive.