Steam dilemma

I’ve preordered HL2 over steam. It let me d/l CS: source as part of the package. It was over a gigabyte, I so I started the download. I went to the kitchen, got a drink, brought the drink into my room without immediately drinking it, and found the download was done. And I had NEVER had ANYTHING half-life related installed on the comp in question in the past. Dunno if it was a fluke, a massive overreport of size, or what, but thats pretty awesome.

I’m starting to have opinions. Opinions like, “OMFG Steam Roxorz the big one!!111!”

Also, I think this applies

Well, just wait til it breaks for no reason. That has a tendency to happen. When Steam first came out, 3/4 of the people couldn’t install it properly and there was no real explanation. I dont have steam on my computer anymore since I never play CS or anything like that anymore, so I don’t know of how well it works these days.

bah, I guess I’ll post to help. Are you downloading DoD FROM steam or just downloading DoD and hoping something happens? download DoD straight from steam and you should be ok.

Steam works for me…but I guess it treats my comp like Day of Defeat doesn’t even exist. Everytime I try and join a server…it goes right to the purchase information. I smell a scam coming on…

I know for a fact that by preordering HL2 (at least the silver package) that you get access to DoD AND DoD:Source (Source isn’t available yet, though). I played it myself last night.

My whole intention though is to not pay for DoD.

Do you own the original HL? Or have you preordered HL2? Then you should already have access to it. If not, then I’m not sure if you should have the game for free. Then again, I am somewhat new to Steam myself.

I own the original Half-Life, and DoD was free for download, at least the 1.0 version (most updated before Steam) was. I ain’t paying $90 for games half of which I’ll never play. Bullshit con-artists…

HL2 silver isnt $90, its $60. Your thinking of Gold version, which is silver with a bunch of posters and other paraphernelia you likely odnt care about.

With the use of a Half Life CD Key you should have access to all Steam supported Half Life Mods.