Starcraft: Favorate tactics

I don’t win much. See my strategies and find what’s wrong.

Terran: Marines+Medics=Dead base. Send in groups of Marines, with an equal number of Medics backing them up. Use Stem Packs with the Marines while the Medics heal them almost immediately. Goliaths are pretty much the only useful ground vehicle; Vultures have no useful abilities and Siege Tanks can only wreck REAL damage when the enemy’s defense is wiped out. Battlecruisers also suck; they take seven centuries to build, have low attack ability, move about as slow as a snail in molasses, and Yamato can only be used about once or twice. Wraiths rock, as well as Dropships and Science Vessels.

Zerg: When playing as the Zerg, a small section of the brain screams, “Zerg rush, Zerg rush.” The Zerg were made for speed; they move faster than any other race in the game, build and spawn much more quickly, and can level entire bases within thirty seconds or your money back. Build Zerglings early on, then rush the enemy base into submission while it’s still trying to build. If the game doesn’t allow rushing, though, then it’s all a matter of building big battle-esque units like Devourers and all those Scourge add-ons.

Protoss: Zealots are gods. Build tons of Gateways, send in tons of Zealots, and watch as your enemy is butchered. Once again, if rushes aren’t allowed, then it’s back to building big stuff. Dragoons, High Templars and Dark Templars aren’t that useful; they take too long to build and have no good abilities. Archons, on the other hand, can be used to full advantage in a match. Proton Cannons can make for an excellent defense, especially if placed close to each other. Besides that, I don’t have much strategy.

>Terran: Marines+Medics=Dead base. Send in groups of Marines, with an equal number of Medics backing them up. Use Stem Packs with the Marines while the Medics heal them almost immediately. Goliaths are pretty much the only useful ground vehicle; Vultures have no useful abilities and Siege Tanks can only wreck REAL damage when the enemy’s defense is wiped out. Battlecruisers also suck; they take seven centuries to build, have low attack ability, move about as slow as a snail in molasses, and Yamato can only be used about once or twice. Wraiths rock, as well as Dropships and Science Vessels.

Well… siege tanks are arguable the best terran unit in the whole game, really. They’re godlike for defending and you know those photon cannons/sunken colonies? why send marines in to die when you can just siege them? If the enemy counterattacks during your attack siege tanks get first shot and whipe out half of them before the marines ever open fire. All this takes a bit more micromanagement, though. Vultures are awesome for wiping out infantry and zerglings and zealots. Equal amount of medics as marines seems a bit much; unless all your marines are under fire at the exact same time (and they’d probably be dead then anyway, marines are pretty weak in terms of HP) you really only need about 1 medic per 2 marines.

>Zerg: When playing as the Zerg, a small section of the brain screams, “Zerg rush, Zerg rush.” The Zerg were made for speed; they move faster than any other race in the game, build and spawn much more quickly, and can level entire bases within thirty seconds or your money back. Build Zerglings early on, then rush the enemy base into submission while it’s still trying to build. If the game doesn’t allow rushing, though, then it’s all a matter of building big battle-esque units like Devourers and all those Scourge add-ons.

Yeah, they zerg also made for numbers, though :stuck_out_tongue: Drop large amounts of anything into the other base for a good show, instead of sieging them with guardians 'n stuff

>Protoss: Zealots are gods. Build tons of Gateways, send in tons of Zealots, and watch as your enemy is butchered. Once again, if rushes aren’t allowed, then it’s back to building big stuff. Dragoons, High Templars and Dark Templars aren’t that useful; they take too long to build and have no good abilities. Archons, on the other hand, can be used to full advantage in a match. Proton Cannons can make for an excellent defense, especially if placed close to each other. Besides that, I don’t have much strategy.

Zealots stop being god-like as soon as the enemy gets some sort of mass defense (i.e. siege tanks, firebats/medics, reavers, high templar, lurkers, or any type of air with any race) Dark templar are useful for worker assassinations or for just mixing in with your zealots. If they don’t have detectors they’ll be a-wonderin’ why those infantry are dropping off so fast :stuck_out_tongue: A few High Templar with psionic storm can hold off a massive attack of almost anything, provided that they are guarded with cannons or something. I’ve killed like a full group of infantry with a single psionic storm before. In fact, I think zerg Queens were made for the sole purpose of having some kind of defense against the power of High Templar and Siege Tanks.

Originally posted by Cless Alvein
>Terran: Marines+Medics=Dead base. Send in groups of Marines, with an equal number of Medics backing them up.

You only need about 1/3 the number of medics that you do marines. Any more and you’re just wasting resources, medics don’t die as quickly as marines, so fewer can go farther.

I heard somewhere that you should have 2 Medics for every 10 Marines.

Thats the general group - since you can only group 12 units at once, 2 medics per 10 marines is pretty snazzy.

I rarely tech to top, but here’s how I work

If Terran, use the comsat to find the enemy while making a standard group of marines and 2 medics, if he’s Zerg and Hydralisk making I go for Vultures, inexpensive, painful and spider mines are just MEAN, if he’s making some 'lings, firebats and stim, if he’s not making anything I go straight for tank and cut the jugular right there.

As Protoss, I always go for an early pack of Zealots, sometimes even for two with minor 'goon support, depending how events unfold I go for either Reavers or Corsairs with Goons while trying to secure expansions and get a steady income. I never go Carrier force, sometimes I will however make a few of them for various reasons may it be to take out defensive blockades or just act as bait, but never over four. I never had the need. I only use Templars on defense or airdrop raids, however a few DTs here and there can make a wonderful scouting or outpost killing force.

As Zerg, I improvise, hydras and zerglings are often on menu but with a few queens and defilers it can get even more fun. Mutas are also always amusing to play with. I’m not TOO fond of scourges though unless it’s to slam science vessels who are getting too close.

I use Zerg only pretty much, and I just try to adapt. As a rule, I will get a lot of Hydralisks. I’ll also get a few Zerglings and burrow them all over the place, so that I can keep tabs on things. I always tech up to a Hive so I can get full upgrades, though I don’t always take advantage of the Queen’s Nest. From there, what I do changes a lot varying on who I play and what I’m against.

For example, Vorpy likes Tank combos, with Wraiths and Sci Vessels. So naturally, with my Hydras, I also make Queens to mitigate the damage dealt to my Hydras, and Scourge to deal with Science Vessels. I also try to send an excess of Overlords to distract Anti-Air, and drop units like Lurkers (For a two front attack). Of course, what you use doesn’t matter, it’s how you use it. Vorpy and I have fought many times, and you can probly imagine he knows tactics on how to kill me, AND folly my own tactics. :stuck_out_tongue:

Um. I suck at the game, so… who cares what I get. :too bad;

as a Zerg I use hordes oh hydralisk, a never ending stream of hydralisks with overlords for deteksion and dark swarm from defiliers or lots of guardians suported by devolurs

as a protoss I use dragoons with arhcons/zelots and obserwers

I don’t play with terrans, I think they are too weak

One of the reasons Starcraft is so great is because every single unit in the game can be useful. It would be tough to decide which is the least useful unit, because they all have their uses. Vultures are kind of weak, but they only cost minerals and with their upgrades they are the fastest unit in the game (besides interceptors) and can drop spider mines. Battlecruisers may seem weak and slow, but they are the best thing terrans have for air to ground attack (25 damage per shot isn’t bad). Firebats are zergling and zealot killers. Anyone who says dark templar are useless…well I don’t know what they are thinking. Permanently cloaked, fast, and 40 damage per hit. There’s not a single useless unit in the whole game.

Anyone who says Dark Templars suck has never been Dark Templar rushed.

It’s easiest to do it with Zerg… almost nobody ever thinks of building spore colonies early.

Jeez, I can’t see why that doesn’t work against a good Zerg opponent… Oh, WAIT! Overlords are NATURAL DETECTORS. How stupid of me.

Corsairs.

By the time they get 'sairs, it shouldn’t matter.

I almost never use very many colonies anyway.
My typical defense with Zerg is a bunch of Lurkers, with a few patrolling Scourge nearby and a fully upgraded 'lord or two to detect.

That defense SUCKS!!! What if your oppenet was terran and used comsat? Eh? Then a toss player, well a fairly good toss player makes more than one probe. A zerg play will always have more than one overlord. Those scoruge will only be wasted on the few decetors they’ll send.

Even if they DO detect the Lurkers, it shouldn’t matter.
I usualy have enough of them so that the only ground units that can hit them are fully-upgraded tanks. And by the time they have those, I should be prepared for them.

Hydras for hitting air aren’t a bad idea. And tanks and reavers are the only ground units with more range than lurkers (not counting special abilities). Tanks even have enough range without siege mode. Which is a good thing for terrans, because marines don’t stand a chance.

I usually only play as 'Toss, but…

Protoss vs. Protoss: Reavers. Reavers reavers reavers. If that doesn’t work, get more reavers and some scouts.

Protoss vs. Zerg: See Protoss vs. Protoss.

Protoss vs. Terran: Get dark templar quickly. If that doesn’t work, see Protoss vs. Protoss.

Okay, so occasionally I will mix things up with the early zealot rush, or (god forbid) get carriers, but… that’s usually it.

Reavers > Hydralisk or marine hordes, and vultures are good for early harassing against Protoss. Archons can be nice, but they’re annoyingly expensive and get blown away with EMP shockwave.

I lose a lot, since my tactics are so predictable. ;D