Star Trek

Saw the midnight showing opening night.

This is definately now one of my favorite Star Trek films. Doc McCoy was my favorite in the film. I thought it migh have been a little over the top, but it was still really funny how Kirk perked up and said hello to every woman that passes by him, even when he’s doped up on McCoy’s drugs.

I was impressed with all the acting including Uhura, although I didn’t particularly enjoy her character spin.

It was also great the way even with all the awesome special effects the technology looked more old school and not something from the era of TNG, one way that the preclu-trilogy in Star Wars messed up.

I saw it again and yeah, there is a supernova, but it only threatens the galaxy that Romulus is in. It’s just one galaxy, so it’s feasable.

Having not seen it, but seeing that comment about the supernova…

No. It’s not feasible for a supernova to threaten a galaxy. It can threaten a planetary system. A galaxy though? We have supernovas all the time (relatively speaking). They’re somewhat common, and they don’t destroy galaxies.

Supernovas don’t destroy galaxies. If they did, we’d all be screwed. As 984 said, its system specific. Also, travel doesn’t occur between galaxies in Star Trek. Or any science fiction series ever made.

I thought a galaxy was a planetary system. Like the Milky Way Galaxy?

Whaaaat? You must not watch Star Trek (or Stargate…). According to cannon, the universe is split into 4 quadrants (let me reiterate, universe), the Gamma and Delta being the least explored, and the Beta and Alpha quadrants being the most explored. The ships are capable of traveling hundred of thousands of light years… our galaxy is at least 100 thousand light years across, and Star Trek has explored well beyond it’s own Galaxy.

Same with the Stargate, which does the same thing by a different means. What a lame thing to say.

No. They don’t mean the universe. They mean the galaxy. It is unknown whether or not the universe has an end and if it did, getting to it would mean traveling faster than the expansion of the universe. I’ll give you an example to use your own terminology: Star Trek Voyager takes place in a different unexplored quadrant of the galaxy. Not the universe.

The milky way galaxy contains innumerable planetary systems. At the center of the milky way is a super massive black hole, like in many other galaxies.

Man, I just got owned in a star trek arguement and its not even noon :\

Don’t worry, Sorc. It isn’t like Trek has been exactly clear on their science facts all the time.

In fact, the supernova thing isn’t really that important, as it’s just a McGuffin to get the plot moving… replace “supernova” with “a never before seen cosmic phenomenon” (they do it all the time in the series) and the story doesn’t suffer at all.

Though I’m still bothered by the whole Romulan crew going “Let’s get Spock!!” instead of “Hey, shouldn’t we save Romulus instead? We ARE in the past, you know…”

I’m going to have to agree that the super nova just threated the system and that Star Trek only takes place in our galaxy (with the exception of a few episodes).

Stargate: Atlantas, however, takes place in Pegasus Galaxy.

Originally Posted by TrkJac
Stargate: Atlantas, however, takes place in Pegasus Galaxy.

Or in Gurren Lagan the galaxies come to you (as make shift throwing stars). <.<

YEAH well you are clearly forgetting the episode of TNG where the traveler transports the enterprise-D and her crew to the end of the universe. So you know there is an end to it. I rest my case.

Good to know, thanks.

You’d think that’d be the logical thing, but even if he did that he’d only save that dimension’s Nero’s wife and not his own wife who is already dead.

Kairi: Is that how they explain it, via the “time travel is really travel to an alternate universe?” theory? Well, yeah, that works. But they need to explain it clearly- the average moviegoer isn’t going to assume it. Also, it means that Nero and company are mad at the WRONG Starfleet. Then again, maybe they just all went nuts. Easier explanation, though not as satisfying.

Did Nero think that the Federation intentionally let the supernova destroy Romulus but pretended it was an accident?, sorta like some people think our government let 9/11 happen. That would have explained his rage better. Afterall, from the gist of what I got Romulus was the main rival superpower of the federation.

Also… I would have liked to find out more about the Romulans in general. You’d think that, being the enemy race in the movie, they would be fleshed out, but all that was shown is that they were scary looking and really strong.

Also… I was surprised to find out that the guy who played Nero is actually Eric Bana.

I would assume that Nero blames the Federation because he believes that Romulus became too over reliant on the Federation, and that they could’ve handled the problem themselves better than the Federation could/did (despite the fact that he’s probably wrong).

And that given a chance to prevent Romulus from joining the Federation he would take it (especially considering that he really didn’t have any other option).

Saw it, liked it, didn’t get bored with the movie at any point = solid in my eyes.

Saw it again, this time in IMAX. Amazing!

I kept an ear out, and Spock does say that the super nova threatened the galaxy. That doesn’t seem likely, so shall we chalk it up to writer error? It’s the only thing I find that I’ve disliked, besides Scotty’s sidekick creature.

Also, anyone else notice that the Golden Gate Bridge is never destroyed in any of the Star Trek films?

Finally saw it this past weekend. I’ve been avoiding this thread and anything else Star Trek related.

I liked Spock the best. Especially when he tells the council that administers his admission status to live long and prosper in a tone that suggests they fornicate themselves with a sharp stick. Got no Sylar vibes from him at all.

I thought Sulu had the least development but I liked him for the comic relief when they leave Earth and when he mentions his advanced combat skills.

Scotty was great as comic relief and they did an apt tribute to his character by having future Spock give him the needed formula.

I found Bones to be accurately depicted and they even explained his nickname, but his role in the plot was over pretty fast.

I rationalized the future Romulan’s plan by them setting priorities when they first arrived in the past. Revenge first. Other stuff later.

The weakest part of the plot was when future Spock says that by just being in the past they’ve changed the flow of events and the current Star Trek universe is now an alternate universe. That’s like saying things aren’t different by artistic license but by SCIENCE (fiction) !

I finally saw it today and I was thoroughly impressed. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. It is a very well done movie.