Star Ocean 3 - Greatest RPG of All-Time

In my many years of RPG rampaging, I have never come across an RPG as fun as Star Ocean: Till the End of Time.

I have to take long breaks from games like FF, because battles are so damn boring. In SO3 you control every aspect of battles, and the attack system is amazing.

Map Exploration, Private Actions resulting in 19 different endings, Bonus Dungeons, Mini-Games, Side-Events, Stat Raising, Item Creation, Party Selection where you can choose anywhere from 1-3 characters, Auto/Manual fighting, and plenty more.

Anyone know a better RPG? (Preferably PS1 or PS2, don’t have Xbox/Gamecube)

I know a better RPG. It’s called Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest. If you’ve played FFMQ before you’re likely aware that it’s not that great of a game. Neither is SO3, the fighting is extremely repetitive, 90% of the game is “omg, we can’t break the roolz of interplanetary travel” and the other 10% is the worst plot twist I’ve ever had the misfortune of playing through.

In conclusion, SO3 is not the greatest RPG of all time, it’s not even a good RPG.

Blasphemy!! The fighting system is better than all the FF games combined, because FF fighting is horrible. As for the plot, it’s not so bad.

FF plots are always the same, all they do is add new characters!

P.S - I just saw your favourite RPG is Chrono Cross. :hahaha;

Here’s a better RPG: Star Ocean 2. Honestly, I found it so much more refreshing than SO3, which was cheesy as all get-out. The plot isn’t much better, but the characters are far more dynamic. SO3’s Invention system is about the most masochistic piece of coding I’ve ever seen in a game. There’s no pause button anywhere. There are just so many things wrong with it. -_-
It’s not an awful game, but its problems far outweigh its good qualities as far as I’m concerned.
As for plot, FF plots tend to be far more nuanced and deep than any of Tri-Ace’s offerings.

After playing SO3 I can’t play an SO game anymore. Since the plot twist just made everything you do in the rest of the series meaningless.

I hope you just worded that wrong and aren’t horrendously wrong, because the FF games don’t ‘add’ new characters. Each game has a completely different character cast. Also on a side note, anyone who thinks the plot line of FF6 is remotely like that of FF8 has to be extremely dim. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wholeheartedly agree with Jango on his conclusion.

You haven’t gotten to disc 2 yet, have you?

I know, I’m just stirring things up. :slight_smile:

My perfect RPG though would be FF story, SO3 battle system, annnnd Secret of Mana magic system. BOING!

I heard Star Ocean 3 played a lot like Star Ocean 2, which pretty much convinced me to not even try it (I really, really disliked Star Ocean 2). Also, having the main plot twist of the game kind of spoils it too; but, in a way, I’m glad I didn’t play it now that I know what the main plot twist is. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d like to add in the fact that the character models look like shit. Not only are the heads modeled horribly, but they are an overused, non-original anime looking style. They don’t stand out, and the begining was so slow I couldnt bring myself to play past the forest part with those two little elf kids.

On a side note, Jango, can you please tell us (with spoiler tags of course) what this plot twist is? I’m curious now…

MAJOR SPOILER They found out that their world is a video game

ROFL are you serious? Thats lame… I guess I was expecting somthing along the lines of the matrix as far as the world was concerned…

Close, I guess.

Wow… I’d heard of the spoilers and tried guessing what it was, again, like Izlude said expecting it to be some kind of Matrix thing, but they really managed to make a horrible plot twist more horrible.

As much as I complain about the little things in SO3 that bother me to no end, I can’t stop playing it, because I’m compelled to get those Battle Trophies. Which means that it’s not the best RPG out there, but it’s got something that’ll keep me playing it for a good long time.

I like the game, but I keep dying >_<

Wow. O.o That’s honestly the worst plot twist I’ve heard since Grandia Xtreme where you find out that Kroitz, who looks evil, acts evil and has an evil laugh, IS EVIL!!!. I’m glad I bought ToS instead. The plot turns in that game manage to be awesome and mindblowing at the same time.

Wow. O.o That’s honestly the worst plot twist I’ve heard since Grandia Xtreme where you find out that Kroitz, who looks evil, acts evil and has an evil laugh, IS EVIL!!!. I’m glad I bought ToS instead. The plot turns in that game manage to be awesome and mindblowing at the same time.

You do realized you cannot make a fair comparison between SO3’s and FF’s battle systems right? SO is action based, while FF is turn and menu based.

I didn’t like the game, but Fayte had some kick ass pants.

What I saw of SO2 made me cringe. It was so fucking cheesy, I felt a rabid need to get some wine to go with it - to get so drunk that I’d black out and forget how stupid it was.

I haven’t played SO3, but I do love PA’s take on it.