Sony Got Hacked

I don’t remember the last time I made a “news” thread, but I’m quite surprised nobody’s mentioned it. I’ve heard this first on the news, then I finally got this e-mail:

Valued PlayStation®Network/Qriocity Customer:

We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011,
certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account
information was compromised in connection with an illegal and
unauthorized intrusion into our network. In response to this
intrusion, we have:

1. Temporarily turned off PlayStation Network and Qriocity services;

2. Engaged an outside, recognized security firm to conduct a full
    and complete investigation into what happened; and

3. Quickly taken steps to enhance security and strengthen our
    network infrastructure by rebuilding our system to provide you
    with greater protection of your personal information.

We greatly appreciate your patience, understanding and goodwill
as we do whatever it takes to resolve these issues as quickly and
efficiently as practicable.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident,
we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following
information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country,
email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login,
and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data,
including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip),
and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may
have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your
dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have
been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit
card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have
provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity,
out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit
card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have
been obtained.

For your security, we encourage you to be especially aware of email,
telephone and postal mail scams that ask for personal or sensitive
information. Sony will not contact you in any way, including by email,
asking for your credit card number, social security number or other
personally identifiable information. If you are asked for this information,
you can be confident Sony is not the entity asking. When the PlayStation
Network and Qriocity services are fully restored, we strongly recommend that
you log on and change your password. Additionally, if you use your PlayStation
Network or Qriocity user name or password for other unrelated services or
accounts, we strongly recommend that you change them as well.

To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we
encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and
to monitor your credit reports. We are providing the following information
for those who wish to consider it:

• U.S. residents are entitled under U.S. law to one free credit report annually
    from each of the three major credit bureaus. To order your free credit report,
    visit www.annualcreditreport.com or call toll-free (877) 322-8228.

• We have also provided names and contact information for the three major U.S.
    credit bureaus below. At no charge, U.S. residents can have these credit bureaus
    place a “fraud alert” on your file that alerts creditors to take additional steps
    to verify your identity prior to granting credit in your name. This service can
    make it more difficult for someone to get credit in your name. Note, however,
    that because it tells creditors to follow certain procedures to protect you,
    it also may delay your ability to obtain credit while the agency verifies your
    identity. As soon as one credit bureau confirms your fraud alert, the others
    are notified to place fraud alerts on your file. Should you wish to place a
    fraud alert, or should you have any questions regarding your credit report,
    please contact any one of the agencies listed below:

Experian: 888-397-3742; www.experian.com; P.O. Box 9532, Allen, TX 75013
Equifax: 800-525-6285; www.equifax.com; P.O. Box 740241, Atlanta, GA 30374-0241
TransUnion: 800-680-7289; www.transunion.com; Fraud Victim Assistance Division,
P.O. Box 6790, Fullerton, CA 92834-6790

• You may wish to visit the website of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission at
    www.consumer.gov/idtheft or reach the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 or 600 Pennsylvania
    Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580 for further information about how to protect
    yourself from identity theft. Your state Attorney General may also have advice
    on preventing identity theft, and you should report instances of known or
    suspected identity theft to law enforcement, your State Attorney General,
    and the FTC. For North Carolina residents, the Attorney General can be
    contacted at 9001 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-9001; telephone
    (877) 566-7226; or www.ncdoj.gov. For Maryland residents, the Attorney
    General can be contacted at 200 St. Paul Place, 16th Floor, Baltimore, MD 21202;
    telephone: (888) 743-0023; or www.oag.state.md.us.

We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this
incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the
clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes
information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that
additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information.
Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is
our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any
additional questions.

Sincerely,

Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Network Entertainment

I still can’t believe they waited so long to notify people. That’s inexusable. I’ve been double checking my credit card statement online almost every day. Thankfully the credit card I used has a small limit on it.

SONY thought they would be smart and turn off the “Other Operating System” option a few months ago, to cut costs. Basically this option let you install Linux on your PS3 and let you use the system as a Linux computer.

There was no good reason to turn this option off, and tens of thousands of people were using this feature. For a lot of people, this is the equivalent of buying a PC to use Windows, and then having your PC manufacturer tell you, two years later, you can’t use Windows on it anymore.

Because of this, a hacker jail broke the ps3 and published an encryption key that let you bypass the PS3 copyright protection. So SONY again was smart and went after the hacker (geohot), taking all his computers and such as part of the subpoena process. They settled and the guy didn’t get in trouble because he didn’t do anything illegal. In the process of suing Geohot, SONY ****ed off an entire hacker community.

Sure enough, last week PSN was hacked, and the data breech included information about 80 million subscribers (usernames, passwords, birth dates and most likely credit card info).

As a PSN subscriber, I’m not very happy about this. I don’t really care that the network has been down a week, but the fact all my personal info could be posted on line, linking my gaming ID to my personal identity, which includes my personal security questions, birth date, and my credit card number - that’s very unsettling.

Here’s a big “**** you”, SONY. You treat your consumers like **** and take features away for no good reason except cost cutting, **** off the hacker community trying to clean up, and now 80 million people have been screwed in the process.

And now your stock is down from $37/share to 28 - you’ve lost 25% of your value over this, and the problems haven’t even started.

****ing idiots.

SIDE NOTE: Since when did we have a language filter or Locke are you doing that intentionally?

I’ve already ready about the boatload of lawsuits Sony is facing. I’m still stunned that such a large company as Sony allowed such a thing to hapen.

He’s censoring himself. But yes, this is bad and worthy several swears.

I agree, but there’s a part of me thinking that the hackers did it to say, “Ha ha, we hacked Sony,” you know for the glory.

I thought they made it so that it is illegal for him to own playstation stuff, and they never gave back the equipment they confiscated from him. I think that qualifies as getting in trouble.

//youtu.be/Cwn4R_GexLM

Hotz can buy Sony stuff just fine, he agreed not to release more hacks on their stuff. They’ve since shifted gears against GrafChokolo before this particular shitstorm hit.

As uncomfortable as this is, it’s not worth worrying about quite yet. Most of our personal information is already out there in the bowels of the Internet, and it takes just a few minutes to lock down your credit if you see suspicious transactions.

So far we’ve only seen a report of one Australian man claiming to have identity theft because of the PSN leak, but I’m very skeptical considering it’s one person out of seventy-odd million who use PSN. If even one percent of users were reporting identity theft, that would be something to be concerned over.

I’m just glad I’m still stuck in the stone ages with my Wii.

(Well, Ok. So I do still have a Steam account, but all that it’s got on it is Portal from the time that it was free.)

Still, this is part of the dangers of operating on the internet. Internet security is hard.

Sony had it coming for a long, long time. Now if only someone will crash XBox live again…I got my account banned for 3 months for freezing it for 3 seconds when I was in a rocket ring in Halo 2 with other people.

16 people, all shooting homing rockets in a circle on the hill in Blood Gulch. That was fun as fuck…until the lag hit & I found that they had banned me for it.

Part of me feels for you, yet part of me remembers that Halo 2 was shut down years ago. They’ve probably improved their policy since then…Maybe…One hopes…

Actually, I think Halo 2 was only shut down last year.

Literally lol if you ever trust a corporation with any of your personal information.

“Oh but zepp they are japanese ;; japan anime something something blah blah japanese people are honorable they will kill themselves and seven generations for making a mistake ;; fartttt ffffaaaaaaaart japppanananan”

lol no you fucking moron capital and those whole control it have no country or culture or morals bound by any society lol they would literally sell you and your entire family into slavery in a copper mine in Zambia if it would increase their profit and share price .01%

basically what i’m saying is fuck you if you play video games and SUPER FUCK YOU if you play online video games that require a credit card to pay them every month hope you get bankrupt from this!!!

signed,

urs truly in love and for eternity

GOD BLESS AMERICA
(surprise boner)

DON’T SIGN YOUR POSTS IDIOT

-zeppelin

Wipes the tears coming from his eyes

… you truly are the greatest Zeppelin!!! salutes :victoly:

Yeah, I’m surprised they waited that long, though. Not surprisingly when Halo 3 came out Halo 2’s servers became ghost towns almost overnight.

PSN came back… then went down again.

Problem is you can reset someone’s password and gain access to their account by providing only their email address and their date of birth…bunch of geniuses over there at Sony. I guess the entire network isn’t down, just some of the websites are inaccessible. You allegedly can sign in from your PS3.

I’ll say what we’ve all been thinking, but too afraid to say: Urielists.