Sony finally lose the plot completely

“Wii too expensive for the Christmas market”

I kid ye not. Crazy Australian execs. :wink:

Wha?

It’s a brilliant marketing strategy. See, these cheaper systems are too expensive to buy. So, instead, buy the more expensive system. It is, in fact, cheaper.

Brilliant.

Yeah um… surrealistic right there.

Ahhh… the kiwi marketing strategic equivolent of “These are not the droids you’re looking for.”

No, you see, this Sony exec says AUD $500 for Wii is too much for a family to fork out. So it won’t be weird if they are neither willing to pay $830 for PS3 :stuck_out_tongue:

Words fail me. What the fuck?

You guys are fucking stupid and I don’t know why it still surprises me. He’s not talking about cost. He’s talking about value, and I agree with him. $500 AUD for a Wii is not a whole lot of bang for your buck, and it’s certainly not something parents are going to want to buy their kids for Christmas. I wouldn’t. The 360 is a little better, but it has the same problem of being high cost and low yield.

The PS3 on the other hand is going to sell at less than the price of a Blu-ray player, have Blu-ray capabilities, and be a console and media center at the same time. Sony’s intended audience is the hardcore gamer who is willing to shell out a lot of money for this powerful media center, not the typical Christmas shopper looking to get something that will satisfy their kids.

I wouldn’t pay $500 AUD for a Wii. There is nothing to be had from it. It’s for young, casual gamers who don’t understand the thrill of a learning curve. The novelty of the motion-sensor remote will wear off and a lot of people will be left asking themselves why they invested in such a doomed idea.

For the average person, the 360 will probably dominate, but there will never be any doubt, EVER, EVER, that the PS3 is a superior console. Everyone who owns a Wii or a 360 will wish they had a PS3. That’s how it’s going to be, period. It’s like comparing a Civic to a BMW. If $1000 of throwaway money falls onto my lap in the next few months, my first thought sure as hell won’t be “Oh, now I can get that Wii!”

Actually, right now I’ve seen more interesting games for the Wii than the PS3. I don’t care how powerful your system is, if the games aren’t as good then it’s a thousand-dollar paperweight. The only ones I’m remotely interested in for PS3 are FF13 and MGS4.
As for Blu-Ray capacity, I’m not convinced that adds any value at all - certainly not when it first comes out, when there are only a handful of Blu-Ray titles available, but for two other rather large reasons:

a) There’s still HD-DVD, and no one really knows which format will end up winning. If you fork over cash for a PS3, and Blu-Ray goes the way of Betamax, you will again have a thousand-dollar paperweight.
b) I don’t see Blu-Ray or HD-DVD catching on the way DVDs did. DVDs themselves are of good enough quality that few people have ever complained about them. Blu-Ray simply won’t be offering a significantly better product for the vast majority of people, certainly not for the price. When Blu-Ray players and discs come down to DVD levels, maybe there will be some impetus for change, but not before then.

[QUOTE=<a href=“http://ps3.ign.com/articles/730/730459p1.html#”>IGN</a>]PS3 Telling Stories in Europe
Sony launches new media campaign in the run-up to PS3’s Euro release.
by Matt Wales

UK, September 5, 2006 - Sony has pulled back the curtain on its brand new European online campaign for its forthcoming PS3 console.

By gesticulating wildly with your mouse in the general direction of Sony’s PS3 site, you can sit back and soak up the first batch of PS3 ‘stories’, explaining some of the next-gen machine’s defining features.

Produced by entertainment company STREAM, a total of six stories will eventually appear both on the site and at cinemas nationwide, each telling an “inspirational but lucid tale which clearly spells out exactly how PS3’s unique features make the ultimate in entertainment”. Currently, only ‘Real-time’, a concept demonstrated by a bunch of men punching each other in the ring, is available for viewing but the remaining five - ‘Storage’, ‘High Definition’, ‘Cell Processing’, ‘Tilt Sensitive Control’ and ‘Cinematic Production’ - are set to arrive imminently.

According to Ben Robinson, managing partner of STREAM, the campaign is designed to appeal to “those into the freshest, interactive entertainment - those who find their iPods, PVRs and the like indispensable and central to their leisure time. This is a big audience, much bigger than ‘hardcore’ gamers and so the campaign reflects this.”

Sony’s campaign is expected to run in PAL territories until at least November this year.[/QUOTE]

According to Ben Robinson, managing partner of STREAM, the campaign is designed to appeal to “those into the freshest, interactive entertainment - those who find their iPods, PVRs and the like indispensable and central to their leisure time. This is a big audience, much bigger than ‘hardcore’ gamers and so the campaign reflects this.”
<!-- -->

Yep. Christmas shoppers, not hardcore gamers save companies. Otherwise Sega would still produce consoles. Sony didn’t become big (in gaming) because of the hardcore gamers. It’s “cool” image went a long way.

It’ll be fun watching them when they find out gamers aren’t tied to companies by black magic.

TD, I didn’t mean to imply it’s only for hardcore gamers. In terms of gaming it certainly is, but the fact that it does so many other things makes it appeal to a broader (richer) audience too. It’s what the X-Box did last gen with all of its mods, online capabilities, and storage space.

That’s because you’re the audience Nintendo appeals to, like I said: the kind of person who likes to piss away hours on novel or simplistic games with no learning curve. You’re not part of the harder-core division of gamers. This is an example of what I predicted in action.

Yep. Christmas shoppers, not hardcore gamers save companies.
If they need to be saved at all.

And anyway, isn’t gaming all about having fun? :slight_smile:

That’s exactly their problem. I dont WANT a blu ray player. I dont want a million USB and Ethernet ports (I got a fucking computer for that shit) I dont want something that can cook waffles or take my kids to school. No one does. I just want to fucking play games. They’re not going for the hardcore gamer. They’re looking to “expand thier audience” by having it do a million different things that they think mainstream affluent mulitaskers want.

Their core audience is not buying it. And the aforementioned multitaskers dont want it either. They’re fucked.

That’s because you’re the audience Nintendo appeals to, like I said: the kind of person who likes to piss away hours on novel or simplistic games with no learning curve.

I’d really like to know how you know that about me. Is it because I like the Wii games more than the PS3 ones? That’s already a circular argument. Considering I bought a PS2 instead of a Gamecube, I’d say that no, I enjoy complex games as much or more than simplistic ones. I just haven’t seen that many interesting or high-quality games being offered for the PS3, whereas I have seen a bunch of potentially entertaining ones for the Wii.

Join the crew. Plus give it 6 months and anything that they make, will be able to be played on a computer via emulators anyway.

Considering how long it took for DECENT PS2/GC emulators… yeah.

Basically what Hades is saying is: Wii is for people with friends, PS3 is for those without. The prospect of physical craziness and injury added to Smash Brothers battles excites me far more than a fuller-res sparkle in the eye of Squaresoft’s newest hermaphroditic protagonist.

And “simplistic”? How is introducing an entirely new element to game design like the Wii’s remote dumbing down a learning curve? I’ve gotten used to the standard video game controller in the last 15 years, thank you very much. Is that you fear using your body rather than translating motor reflexes through the poor medium of a small mushroom shaped piece of plastic?

So I guess you’ll be getting a PS3.

The problem with this is that PS2 isn’t PS3 and Gamecube isn’t Wii.

I know this about you because you’re the webmaster of a site about a series that practically plays itself, and because I’ve been reading your posts here long enough to pick up a few things about you that aren’t explicitly stated. In other words, I know your type and I know what they do and what they like because I’ve been exposed to enough of them. It’s still a poor argument on my part though because others here might not understand where I’m coming from if they don’t know you as well. And just to save my own ass later, I’m predicting right now that you’ll quickly deny this entire paragraph with shit about this being the internet and your true character not shining through and that the 5~ years I’ve been around you are a poor reflection of your character. It’s what you’d typically do.

List some “complex games” you’ve enjoyed. I’m almost willing to bet that FFT tops the list.

That’s exactly their problem. I dont WANT a blu ray player. I dont want a million USB and Ethernet ports (I got a fucking computer for that shit) I dont want something that can cook waffles or take my kids to school. No one does. I just want to fucking play games. They’re not going for the hardcore gamer. They’re looking to “expand thier audience” by having it do a million different things that they think mainstream affluent mulitaskers want.

Their core audience is not buying it. And the aforementioned multitaskers dont want it either. They’re fucked.
More of what I just said. In action. You’re not interested in the media center aspect of the PS3 and you don’t want to pay that much to play games that don’t really interest you, hence you want a Wii.

You seem to be coming from the angle that you think I implied everyone is going to go out and buy a PS3. I didn’t. As I’ve been saying all along, the people who DO want Blu-ray, etc. and a console in the same bundle will buy a PS3, which is EXCELLENT value for people who want everything it has to offer.

How is introducing an entirely new element to game design like the Wii’s remote dumbing down a learning curve?
Because optical mice like the Wii’s remote have more limitations than traditional controllers. It becomes a point and click thing, and it’s difficult to curve that. In the end, with a system like that you end up curving the mind, like in RTS games where time management and judgement become the curve rather then muscle control.