Sometimes I like my country

The Swedish Church now approves of gay marriages.

The decision follows a vote by the Church Assembly, the highest body of authority in the Swedish Church, on Thursday.

The result, which saw 160 vote for the change, and 81 vote against, was not unexpected, since a Church Assembly committee had already declared its support for the move.

Mwaha. It’s good to know that there is some progress in the world after all. :slight_smile:

I’ve always wondered whether the reason christians hate gays is because they were often raped by other men in Rome. Christians were persecuted and male rape was a common way for Romans to display power. I have asked some religious historians about this and haven’t received a solid answer either way.

Hm. Sweden added to list of places cool enough to expatriate myself to.

Now Swedish homosexuals will be removed from the genepool in a few generations. Good job, bigots.

I don’t think it’s because of the romans.

Excellent. Now you folks can get down to the real questions of polygamy and polyandry.

What’s the second one?

It’s a dictionary word.
(The condition or practice of having more than one husband at one time.)

Christians != Catholics

I’m referring to the christian bible.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NIV): “Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters, nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.”

Leviticus 18:22 (KJV): “Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind it is abomination.”

Christianity started in Rome. Romans were relatively heavily homosexual. They kept male prostitutes and used homosexual rape as a punishment and show of dominance. Early christians were persecuted in that way because they would not conform to the roman beliefs. I don’t see it that much of a jump that this persecution resulted in the bitter distaste of christians at the time of homosexuality. You can even make the argument that the comments condemning homosexuality in the bible are not condemning homosexuality itself, but homosexual rape.

The bible doesn’t make any references to homosexuality. I don’t know which version you pulled that from, but it’s a mistranslation.

Catholics and Christians in general don’t persecute homosexuals or have anything to say about homosexuality, or by nature they’re not christian. Stop making retarded generalizations.

Romans weren’t heavily homosexual, either. I don’t know where you’re reading all of this shit, but it’s certainly not coming from anyone with a degree. Stop believing everything you read.

Most of what anyone knows about history is a best guess based on bad evidence, and most of what you hear about christianity are the views of the few people in positions of power or extremists. I go to a catholic school and I’d estimate a good nine tenths of the students support gay marriage.

As for whether this is progress, I don’t know if you could call something so trivial progress. It might even be a step back. Gay marriage is wasted resources when there are wars going on.

Hmm, Lutherians are quite liberal. We still have the debate on whether to allow homosexual couples adoption rights/fertility treatments and all that, since “It’d be quite weird to live with two mothers/fathers in the case of adoptions.”

Well, the Church is evolving. It is a very slow process, but it is happening never the less.
On a somewhat related subject:

Catholic Church to open its doors to gay priests.
A Vatican document expected to be made public soon says the Church will allow gay men who have lived chastely for three years to be candidates for the priesthood.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/10/07/gay-priests1007.html

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NIV): “Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters, nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.”

I have never read that in my life.
Wasn’t it that God wanted people to mutilpy and populate the earth?So I just assumed that the cristians assumed that God did not want homos cause they cant “multiply”.Meh, like we need more people.Well, I havent picked up the bible in a while so I might be wrong or whatever.I ,personally, dont have any problem with gay marriages,by all mans do so; I think it a step up.
GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT :smiley:

Hurrah Sweden.

Wha… JA! I take you’d like want Swedish lesbian twins… that are marryed. Just before the pair from Japan…

Have you been reading my private “to do” list again or are those your entries, 2k. I have no idea what to make of it.

Everything I have read about Rome says that they sometimes used boys as sex slaves and they used homosexual rape as a sign of dominance. That is much more heavily accepting of homosexual acts than our current culture.

I know many christians and catholics that comment on gays. The pope has even ruled different ways on homosexuality so they definitely think about it. Some christians also have persecuted homosexuals at many times in history. They do it now and they have done it before. On amazon, from the book: Homosexuality and Civilization:

Saint John Chrysostom “ranks as the most influential of (Christian) Greek fathers, second only to Augustine” and he instituted organized persecution of homosexuals as a Christian obligation. He denounced male love as “monstrous, Satanical, detestable, execrable and pitiable.” (He also denounced Jews as “sensual, slippery, voluptuous, avaricious, possessed by demons, drunkards, harlots and breakers of the law.”)

Sure the history I read may be wrong, but to tell me that the history in these books is better than the history in these other books you will have to show me ample proof why that’s the case.

I never meant all christians. I said “christians hate” as I would say something like “the reason people hate vegetables is…”. I don’t mean that every freaking person on earth hates vegetables. I mean “those people that hate vegetables.” It is shorthand meaning that the number of people isn’t important to the point I’m getting at.

What evidence do you have? Like I said, the fact that things exist in books doesn’t make them true. You’d need evidence from the time. Written experiences, not just farfetched inferences based on isolated occurances. They also have to be cross-referenced.

Everything I have read about Rome says that they sometimes used boys as sex slaves and they used homosexual rape as a sign of dominance. That is much more heavily accepting of homosexual acts than our current culture.
No it isn’t. Look at Nanking. Or if you want something more recent, Abu Ghraib. Look at any american prison and you’ll find dominance rape. And the guards always look the other way.

The Romans were no more accepting of homosexuality than our current culture. The biggest difference would be that male-male affection wasn’t so suggestive to them.

In plato’s symposium he talked about man with man, kinda. His first speakers talked about how a man with a youth is the most beautiful form of love there is. Socrates later talks about that saying it’s the first step on the ladder of love. I know nothing about Romans and their acceptance of homosexuality.

Are Just admitting to being gay?.. nah…

All I think I can say about the fact that Swedish Churches accepts Gay marrages, is that I proberly will not approve it… I accept that the Locals now do it, but not approve it.

BN
If your Dad get woken up by a bloke from Sweden on the phone, I’d say they your local…