Something you may find surprising.

Blank rounds can kill you. Some of my MCT instructors have killed animals with blanks (training exercises gone wrong where blanks were the only option). Blanks are dangerous up to 20ft (really 10, but 20 to be on the safe side). It was funny since if someone was close to us in training instead of firing our weapon, we’d have to yell “BANG!”. Is there a point to this thread? Not really, just some interesting and funny information I’ve learned in the past 2 months.

What’re blanks?

More lethal than non-lethal rounds? I know those can kill you if you’re hit in the head or chest, don’t know the range though.

Brandon Lee died from a blank shell when he was filiming The Crow. Part of a blank got lodged in a barrel, and during a shooting scene, the pressure from the blanks shot it out and severed his spine and ruptured his heart. Oddly enough, this was also the scene where his character died (and the last scene they needed him to film).

Originally posted by Cless Alvein
What’re blanks?

Blanks are rounds that you put into a weapon to fire without it shooting somethig. It mostly makes the weapon jerk and pop, but nothign comes out. It is just gun powder, however, it is dangerous at a certain range. They are just for training so that you can get used to moving, pulling the trigger, keeping an eye on your ammo, etc. without killing anyone.

More lethal than non-lethal rounds? I know those can kill you if you’re hit in the head or chest, don’t know the range though.

They aren’t more lethal than live rounds. On an M16 a live round can travel 550yd accurately and 800yd if you want to hit an area (which is pretty damn far). In fact, Marines qualify at the 500yd (the Army quals at 300yd).

Hmmm, interesting. fills a gun with blanks and heads to Tob

Well, yeah, i’m a gun nut. Here’s the explanation:

Blanks are actually just gunpower with a small wad of paper, similar to the wadding found in shotgun shells. At least the ones that were in use when Brandon Lee died in “The Crow”. Now, what happened was one of the blanks was a dud, and they kept shooting because it was fully automatic. Two waddings were stacked on top of each other, and were launched out by the power at a lethal rate of speed. This was hard enough of a hit to go through the flesh and kill him.

At least that’s what I heard.

No, there was something lodged in there from a prior scene where they used the same weaponry.