Something for the weaponry buffs!

http://home.att.net/~steven.Licata/swords.html

Have a look through the pages there - warning though for people on slow connections: Sorry!

Ninten:cool:

Heh.

www.swordsonline.com is way deeper into it.

By the way, sadly, neither of these sites has many jian’s (chinese straightswords), let a lone a single pakua jian. I’d like to see more of them around. Pakua jian is the signature blade of my school. We also have the variation which is telescopic, fitting into its own handle when at rest.

This guys freelance man! Nobody holds him down!
Haha… okay, so not really, I just like the look of insane weapons.

Go see the sci-fi and some of the nasty weapons of the site I linked to like the sword that hides inside a staff. Check the dasmascus steel knives too. Their designs are insane.

I so want the Templar sword!

I think I like the freelance guy’s stuff better than this flea market crap. His actually can be sold as art, whereas, things like that “Sci-fi blade” are common in most hillbilly flea markets in the south.

Not to bash on such weapons, but factory weapons just don’t have the same flavor that handcrafted items do.

And besides, that guy’s guitar looks so friggin sweet, it wins regardless of what weapons are on the other site.

Mmm, SwordsOnline. I want this and this!

Ooh!
I loved that guitar! - too true Izlude!

I so want this thing.

Curiously enough, there’s a character in Shaman King that has a sword like that. A Chinese guy called Ren :stuck_out_tongue:

Swordity! wishes there were a drooling smiley

Fucking wall-hangers.

<a href=“http://www.deltin.net/home.htm”>Ahh, much better.</a>

The Kukri is simply the best bladed weapon ever made. All this other stuff is stupid and lame.

I never watched Shaman King, but now I want to see it.

I know that weapon, in the dub, it was called the Sword of Thunder. And only the rightful leader of the family could extend the blade.

It was very similar to this. IN fact almost identical.

That’s EXACTLY it. The real name was Horai-Ken although there was nothing of the “only chosen one can use it” crap, it was just the symbol of the Tao Dynasty.

That’s exactly it. One of the weapons we use in the school I go to, I mean.

I couldn’t find it because of the improper naming… It’s called Jian, not ‘Tai Chi Sword’ (Jian means ‘straightsword’).

Tai Chi practice involves usage of chinese swords, specially Jian, Dao and a third one (I forgot the name). Heaven knows why the original name of the blade got so unknown for it to be refered as ‘tai chi sword’. These words give the idea that only Tai Chi uses them, but Pakua, and lots of Kung Fu styles use it too.

I have never wielded a Pakua Jian. In order to train with it we must first take a Pakua Chuan course, which is a barehand circular style within Pakua which is very strenuous to practice at the beggining. Once you catch the moves you’re ready for the Jian practice. I’m taking the Chuan training, but not for the sword. My weapon of choice for now is the staff.

edit: My master has one of these: http://www.weaponmasters.com/?ID=WEAPONS&FDX=&FMAX=&SORT=&ITEM=MC-LCDS-26&LOCATION=PHOTOS

I find two blades in a single scabbard awkward to draw, but heh.

So how many people have you killed or dismembered with your super Kukri fighting skills? I have one myself, but I don’t pretend to like it for anything other than mechanical efficency. No weapon will carry the day for you; that’s your job, provided you are in combat for good reason.

Sorry, but I spent a little time as a qwerty commando myself until I stumbled over the truth in the dark. If you can become competent with it, use it in the arena it was designed for in the service of inflicting death, greivous injury or debilitating hurt on your opponent while preventing him and his friends from accomplishing same, it is a good weapon. This is why people can get their asses handed to them by someone wielding a fountain pen.

When it comes down to it, a good sword should be usable as a sword. It should have a long cutting blade that is good for shearing and hacking cuts and/or a point usable for thrusts against whatever armor it was designed to oppose, be sufficiently agile for defense if wielded singly, and not fall apart when used. Many of the spatulas you will see on swordsonline fail at one or more of these. I’m doubtful even of those that are dubbed “battle ready.” As if they’ve been field tested.

As a rule of thumb, a good medieval or rennaissance sword will run you the same amount of money today as it did then; about $400 USD or so, relatively speaking.